Will The Latest Drama Make Bkk Cheaper?

FuninPlural

Hello,

Just passing through with a quick question. With all of the recent drama that has been going on in Thailand, will this result in price reduction? Tourism has taken a hit, and I'm sure the country will want to get those tourists back, so once things are all sorted out, will the already cheap prices be even cheaper?

They already are higher. When the hotel staff was questioned as to why, the response was, "We need to charge more to make up for the losses we have suffered recently." That says it all, reverse logic within the Thai business-world.

Yes

TV last night reported that special zones would be set up to be VAT free

creating incentive for people to spend again.

As soon as they can get into the Shopping Malls I guess.

I am sure we will hear more information on this subject soon.

Edited by LindsayBKK

Knowing how they do business all of Thailand will be higher on cost. That's the way they think. :)

Agreed. In addition the attitude towards foreign tourists may be more hostile and more attempts may be made to gouge visitors. This is just based on personal experience. I'm done asking why.....

it's mostly tourism affected, the other industries not connected with tourism are not suffering.

If you are looking for bargains at hotels, restaurants etc surely you will find them

I have been watching the x-change for USD and THB and it hasn't moved much at all since the crisis (which is a little odd actually)

That is not odd, the Thai Central Bank tries to keep the exchange rate in line with the USD.

I have been watching the x-change for USD and THB and it hasn't moved much at all since the crisis (which is a little odd actually)

That is not odd, the Thai Central Bank tries to keep the exchange rate in line with the USD.

I see. I thought the Baht floated against the USD. But the THB is not truely "pegged" to the USD is it? My first trip to BKK ten years ago was about 45 to 1 after all the "asian bubble" problems. Is there a known range they want to keep it at these days?

Knowing how they do business all of Thailand will be higher on cost. That's the way they think. :)

Yep, exactly my opinion. Don't think anything get cheaper...

Like virtually everything else in this increasingly crazy country, the Thai approach to economics is "nuts."

They refuse to embrace modern economic ideas..........no surprise that, over the past decade, Thailand's annual GDP growth rate has consistently fallen behind most of the other countries in Southeast Asia.

Thailand really must change...........it reminds me of people on a sinking ship drilling holes in order to prevent water from leaking in.