Cat Cdma -evdo And Wireless Router Connectivity

osmond

I have a CAT CDMA connection ( unlimited B890 / month ) and the EVDO Rev A USB modem ( cost ~ B7000 )

I would like to connect the EVDO USB modem to a Wireless Router

Not sure what is currently available and supported by CAT to provide this as of May 2010.

Is it the EnGenius NET-3G-ESR-6650 ? Or are there other / better options. ?

I have also heard mention in the past of having 2 EVDO modems and 'load balancing' - is this still possible ?

Any feedback based n experience welcomed.

Thanks in advance

I have managed to do this on my Mac.

I have the USB connection then it is set up with an ethernet cable to my Time capsule then that pushes out a wireless signal.

I have asked a few questions about this but not had any answers for more guidance.

I think that CAT are now doing there own wireless router.

I've got the Cradlepoint MBR-1000. You have to pay a lot for it, but it's worth it. Maybe more advanced than what you need. A slightly cheaper option would be getting the MiFi from CAT themselves.

**EDIT**

Sorry, but I pulled the trigger too soon. Twice :)

The Cradlepoint can be found here (and horribly overpriced in LOS--I bought mine from the States and got a much better deal). Apparently they now offer a MBR1200, but I can't see the difference other than no external antennas and perhaps a PCMCIA slot (?).

The MIFI can be found here. It will not do load balancing nor fallover, but fallover isn't that big of a deal if you're going to use 2x CAT modems; if the tower goes down neither will connect! The other really cool thing is that you can run it for a while on batteries.

Edited by dave_boo

I've got the Cradlepoint MBR-1000. You have to pay a lot for it, but it's worth it. Maybe more advanced than what you need. A slightly cheaper option would be getting the MiFi from CAT themselves.

**EDIT**

The Cradlepoint can be found here (and horribly overpriced in LOS--I bought mine from the States and got a much better deal). Apparently they now offer a MBR1200, but I can't see the difference other than no external antennas and perhaps a PCMCIA slot (?).

The MIFI can be found here. It will not do load balancing nor fallover, but fallover isn't that big of a deal if you're going to use 2x CAT modems; if the tower goes down neither will connect! The other really cool thing is that you can run it for a while on batteries.

Does anyone know if the MiFi has an antenna connection like the MC-760 ?

totster :D

**EDIT**

Doesn't appear so. :D

Edited by dave_boo

totster :)

I've been looking at that unit also and no, it doesn't have an antenna connection. I have seen offered on a few places a cradle that acts as a repeater/amp that in turn can connect to an antenna but pricy at around $127.00 USD.

//edit - see that the site Dave posted has the booster listed at nearly $200.00 > Booster

Dave Boo - thanks for the info. Cradlepoint MBR1000 fits the bill - bite the bullet and pay for it - I assume that is all that is needed apart from the EC226 Huawei modem which I already have ? The MBR1200 apart from not having aerials , has an additional VPN support feature.

Dave Boo - thanks for the info. Cradlepoint MBR1000 fits the bill - bite the bullet and pay for it - I assume that is all that is needed apart from the EC226 Huawei modem which I already have ? The MBR1200 apart from not having aerials , has an additional VPN support feature.

Thanks for the info; I really didn't look at the 1200 model, just saw it and posted it to let you know it is an option.

And yes, all you need is that router and modem. Per this site, it should work just fine.

**EDIT**

im very pleased with the mifi.

**EDIT**

Me too. I noticed it doesn't do torrents very well. The router becomes useless for all other connections, i have also had it die. Needed to restart it. But for all other intents and purposes, it's fantastic. Its hard to explain but it provides a true appliance like experience for the cat connection.

You push the button, and you have Internet. No plugging in the USB modem, waiting for the computer to recognize it, hit the connect button, wait for the authorization, etc. It's like a magic little box with an Internet now button.

I enjoy it more for that than anything else.

It also works in USB modem mode if you really want. I never do it though, the wifi mode is just so much more convenient.

Hi dave_boo,

I'm looking at getting a Cradlepoint MBR-900 - which looks like it'll do the job, but a bit cheaper than MBR-1000. Do you know where the shop is for the thailandcdma.com site you have given a link to? (I can't see any address on their website).

Did you bring in your MBR-1000 with you, or by post? Any duty paid?

Thx,

Flapman

**EDIT**

I'm looking at getting a Cradlepoint MBR-900 - which looks like it'll do the job, but a bit cheaper than MBR-1000. Do you know where the shop is for the thailandcdma.com site you have given a link to? (I can't see any address on their website).

That appears to be an on-line ordering shop only. From their home page > "Welcome to the online store Thailand CDMA Shop"

Here is another shop in Bangkok that offers it > Total Aircard

Another shop > http://www.kkplaza.com/

I ordered the CradlePoint MBR1000 from TotalAirCard.com - transferred the dosh , and it arrived next day.

Works fine with Novatel Ovation MC760, plug it in and it connects, but the Huawei EC226 will not connect. Maybe need to set some modem parameters OR its not supported. Checking that with CradlePoint USA at the moment . . .

Thailandcdma shop live in Phuket so I have to close website for update new products information now, if you would like to know some products information so please mail or PM to me

QUOTE (Flapman @ 2010-06-02 11:38:11) I'm looking at getting a Cradlepoint MBR-900 - which looks like it'll do the job, but a bit cheaper than MBR-1000. Do you know where the shop is for the thailandcdma.com site you have given a link to? (I can't see any address on their website).

That appears to be an on-line ordering shop only. From their home page > "Welcome to the online store Thailand CDMA Shop"

Here is another shop in Bangkok that offers it > Total Aircard

Another shop > àÊÒÍÒ¡ÒÈ CDMA,GSM,DTAC,TRUE [Powered by Weloveshopping.com]

• 1 month later...

Belated thanx Tywais. I got my Cradlepoint MBR900 for Thb5,900.- from Total IT Co which is the same business as Totalaircard. A friend picked it up and sent it to me as I wasn't sure about transferring cash to an unknown person online. Probably would have been fine. CAT agent in Chiang Mai was asking Thb8,000 for MBR900!

MBR900 is working well so far: plug and play. I'm accessing MBR900 from a D-Link DWA-125 wireless adapter plugged into a USB port --my old Compaq nx9010 doesn't have Wi-Fi!

I have a yagi high-gain antenna on a 12mtr pipe mast with a RG6/U cable + connector to my C-motech CCU-680 usb modem (bought from CAT). Mast is about 50mtrs from house, down the end of garden -- to "see" the CAT tower better from there. I've made a kind of "bird house" for the MBR900 which is mounted on the mast with a couple of "U" bolts. Inside that is a plastic clip-lid box (upside down) to keep the MBR900 and Cmotech CCU-680 dry. Haven't tested it in a storm yet! Will get a permanent power supply fitted when testing and set-up is complete.

I get OK results from speedtest.net, but in reality everything is s-l-o-w. D-Link is Wi-Fi connected to MBR900 at 65Mbps. Maybe time for a new notebook! Or perhaps need to rotate the yagi antenna a bit, or extend the mast more above tree-tops.

Will report more if anyone is interested.....

<BR>
I'm looking at getting a Cradlepoint MBR-900 - which looks like it'll do the job, but a bit cheaper than MBR-1000.  Do you know where the shop is for the thailandcdma.com site you have given a link to?  (I can't see any address on their website).
<BR>That appears to be an on-line ordering shop only.  From their home page > "Welcome to the online store Thailand CDMA Shop"<BR><BR>Here is another shop in Bangkok that offers it > <A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.totalaircard.com/pages/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%97.html" rel="nofollow external">Total Aircard</A><BR><BR>Another shop > <A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.kkplaza.com/" rel="nofollow external">http://www.kkplaza.com/</A><BR>
<BR><BR><BR> Edited by Flapman

• 3 weeks later...

**EDIT**

Me too. I noticed it doesn't do torrents very well. The router becomes useless for all other connections, i have also had it die. Needed to restart it. But for all other intents and purposes, it's fantastic. Its hard to explain but it provides a true appliance like experience for the cat connection.

You push the button, and you have Internet. No plugging in the USB modem, waiting for the computer to recognize it, hit the connect button, wait for the authorization, etc. It's like a magic little box with an Internet now button.

I enjoy it more for that than anything else.

It also works in USB modem mode if you really want. I never do it though, the wifi mode is just so much more convenient.

thanks for this. i have been having trouble with my mifi for the last 3 days, it has been utterly awful, until i read this and realized i had forgotten to close utorrent, which i used to quite rapidly download the german grand prix. now utorrent is close my imap is working properly again and intermittent signal drops while surfing seem to be cured.

all good.

• 3 weeks later...

Cradlepoint MBR1200 is available from USA on EBAY for $226, if you can get a USA or Canadian address there is a $50 cash back until 06/SEP/2010. It does all the MDR1000 does but has provision for 5 modems, gigabit LAN and VPN.