เย็นตาโฟ...?

petepete

I'm trying to translate the menu of my local Chai-Si noodle stand for a friend, and print him out a Thai/English copy so he can point and order.

I'm good with most of it, but: เย็นตาโฟ? What is this? I assumed "cool tofu" from the name, but apparently tofu is spelled a bit different. Googling gives me lots of images of noodles ... which I'd kind of assumed :-)

While we're at it - does anyone know what makes the 'piset' version special, and does "2 ก้อน" mean I'm going to get twice as many wontons? I'd ask them in Thai, but my spoken Thai isn't so hot ;-) I'm going to have fun experimenting I guess

What is it? Go down to your noodle stand and order it :) Whenever I order piset I just get a bigger portion, like there's just more of everything. So I think you can translate that to bigger portion, maybe.

"Yen to foh" is noodles with red sauce and squid

"phiset" just means a bigger portion "super-size it" if you will

The red source is made from fermented tofu. Tofu is pronounced เต้าหู้ on it own.

เย็นตาโฟ is a sound loan from Chinese. The เย็น part originally mean fermented in Chinese.

ตาโฟ is from tofu.

They roll the yellow or green noodle in a small bunch. This type of noodle is called หมี่. The yellow noodle is called หมี่เหลือง and the green is called หมี่หยก. (หยก means jade which is usually green in color) Measure word for them is "ก้อน"

You usually get 1 ก้อน per bow. So 2 ก้อน mean you are going to get 2.

You should try the yentafo. :)