Pattaya Criticism Is Totally Unjustified.

sokal

"beacuse Pattaya is "such a hel_l hole"

I think the OP answered the question himself.

Why is Pattaya such a hel_l hole ? In your mind.....

The main areas ie Walking St/Beach Rd are recreational grounds for some of the worlds biggest lowlifes.I would'nt piss on most of them if they were on fire.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main areas ie Walking St/Beach Rd are recreational grounds for some of the worlds biggest lowlifes. I would'nt piss on most of them if they were on fire.

I agree totally!!!

In my 4 years in Thailand, I have only been to Walking Street once...which was the last time for me.

Edited by elkangorito

"beacuse Pattaya is "such a hel_l hole"

I think the OP answered the question himself.

The main areas ie Walking St/Beach Rd are recreational grounds for some of the worlds biggest lowlifes.I would'nt piss on most of them if they were on fire.

You don't have proof of that. South America is where all the low life goes, its the best place to hide. Why are there endless amounts of new luxury condo complexes going up in Pattaya if its such a dump ?

Pattaya has horrible beaches , dodgy people but a good selection of restaurants at with reasonable prices all around

and is very dangerous because of people jumping off their balconies , they can hit you on the head

Patong has dodgy people , and a lesser selection of restaurants and don´t mention the jet skis.

Basically both are tourist traps , if I go to one it would be Pattaya but for a maximum of 2 days bacause

yes it is a dump but a funny one.

Pattaya suffers the same bad rep bullsh*t within Thailand that Thailand suffers in the eyes of the world.

South America is where all the low life goes, its the best place to hide. Why are there endless amounts of new luxury condo complexes going up in Pattaya if its such a dump ?

You really do live up to your avartar, don't you 'George'!

I used to live in Argentina & you are totally wrong if you wish to talk about 'everyday people' as opposed to 'political escapees'.

I think you need to do what I have always suggested that George W should do...get out of the USA for a while & see/speak to 'average people' from other countries.

Edited by elkangorito

I think you need to do what I have always suggested that George W should do...get out of the USA for a while & see/speak to 'average people' from other countries.

Brazil has launched a campaign aimed at changing its image as a promising destination for fugitives escaping justice in other parts of the world.

Canada: Haven for world's most wanted

Grievances are being nursed by our near-neighbours in the U.S. and Mexico, and across Asia. Leaders of the Philippines, Thailand and China are among those who have made strong representations to Ottawa to no avail.

I'll go to Pattaya if some friends from overseas come to Thailand. They go there to get laid, and it's a good place for that. But other than that there is no reason to ever go there, the place is a filthy pit. For sure when my family comes here I steer them well away, the place is embarrassing. On the other hand they've loved everywhere else in Thailand I've taken them.

I went to Pattaya and Jomtiem once and thought it was gross: dirty, crowded beaches, rammed with hookers and lairy tourists.

I went to Patong once and thought it was an upmarket version of Pattaya. Just as tacky/sleazy but had more money spent on it and didn't look as shagged out.

The other Phuket beaches north and south of Patong are some of my favourite in Thailand.

I think Pattaya is so in your face anyone who chooses to live there out of the whole of Thailand is understandably if not justifiably going to be tarred with a certain kind of brush. To choose to live there seems like such an extreme statement to make to me but like I said I've only been there once.

So anyone who goes to Las Vegas is also scum ? what about Vancouver or Holland ?

Holland is a very beautiful and friendly country. Why bring the Dutch into this?

Huh? is this guy REALLY ranting about 100 baht beach chairs?

OK I'll bite ... I'd rather pay 100 baht in Patong and have clean white beaches than 40 baht in Pattaya where there are ... hmmm ... how shall we say it ... ah! Sanitation problems with the beaches and the water.

Then again I lived in Phuket for some time and went to Patong about 12 times (about 1 time a month).

Maybe he misses the bars? No .. patong has plenty. Even Kamala where I lived had plenty of places to get a beer.

Hmmm maybe he missed walking down the street in Pattaya and smelling the sewage?

I am assuming he didn't get to Kata Karon or Laem Singh beaches ..... or enjoy driving the coast road around the island on a motorcycle :)

Since we are not talking about criminals who flee their countries & we are talking about 'average people' who choose to "visit/live in" another country, the above comments apply. It just so happens that many of the so called 'average people' are complete <deleted>, which is one reason why I do not frequent Pattaya. Pattaya is simply full of foreign <deleted>!!!

I assume that you are an 'average' person & are seeking comments from others like yourself. I would think that the gossip would be thick & fast if there were to be any international criminals posting in this forum.

George W, you really are just like the media portrayed you to be :D

I'll go to Pattaya if some friends from overseas come to Thailand. They go there to get laid, and it's a good place for that. But other than that there is no reason to ever go there, the place is a filthy pit. For sure when my family comes here I steer them well away, the place is embarrassing. On the other hand they've loved everywhere else in Thailand I've taken them.

Today I came across 3 new condo developments having sales. Thats fairly good demand for an embarrassing filthy pit.

BTW I aw writing this from the free internet servics at Insonia nigtht club on walking street.

I went to Pattaya and Jomtiem once and thought it was gross: dirty, crowded beaches, rammed with hookers and lairy tourists.

I went to Patong once and thought it was an upmarket version of Pattaya. Just as tacky/sleazy but had more money spent on it and didn't look as shagged out.

The other Phuket beaches north and south of Patong are some of my favourite in Thailand.

I think Pattaya is so in your face anyone who chooses to live there out of the whole of Thailand is understandably if not justifiably going to be tarred with a certain kind of brush. To choose to live there seems like such an extreme statement to make to me but like I said I've only been there once.

So anyone who goes to Las Vegas is also scum ? what about Vancouver or Holland ?

Holland is a very beautiful and friendly country. Why bring the Dutch into this?

I am from dutch decent and I grew up in Vancouver. You could argue that both places are filthy pits. So is Amsterdam and Holland a dump ort not ?

Ever been to Granville street Vancouver ?

I agree.

Phuket is totally over-rated now - or spoiled.

I would like to amend your quote by saying that Thailand is overrated & spoiled.

It's 'spoiled' due to the pathalogical greed of certain people, disregarding their beliefs in Buddhism & Thai Culture. On one hand, 'westernisation' is abominable & on the other hand 'Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!'

I live about 10km away from Pattaya. I 'visit' that hel_l-hole about once every 6 months...only to buy 'exotic' things like Worcestershire Sauce, Vegemite etc.

Thai beaches (from what I have seen) are well below 'par' according to the beaches that I know. No, I'm not talking about bitches...I'm talking about beaches. Thanks to the 'Let's Freely Throw Our Rubbish All Over Thailand' policy that has been in force for some time, the beaches are quite possibly toxic.

If you want good weather & nice, clean beaches ('real' beaches with 'real' surf), go to the central coast of Queensland (Australia). There is only one drawback...Australia is expensive.

I certainly didn't come to Thailand for the beaches, the women or the men. If I wanted any of these things, I would have stayed in Australia.

So, why are you here then?

There's a lot of good things about Pattaya, and there's a great deal of bad things too - So I don't think we could argue that all criticism of Pattaya is totally unjustified.

But much of the most rabid and vociferous criticism of Pattaya is totally unjustified - coming as to so often does from people who have never even set foot in the place.

Pattaya has good restaurants and hotels apart from that I find it's Thailands version of Blackpool/Benidorm.

Now that I've lit the blue touch paper I'll stand back and enjoy the fireworks. :)

Didnt think the east side was anything like Blackpool.

You are very clever saying that a seaside resort is similar to other seaside resorts,you need to go on mastermind

I agree.

Phuket is totally over-rated now - or spoiled.

I would like to amend your quote by saying that Thailand is overrated & spoiled.

It's 'spoiled' due to the pathalogical greed of certain people, disregarding their beliefs in Buddhism & Thai Culture. On one hand, 'westernisation' is abominable & on the other hand 'Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!'

I live about 10km away from Pattaya. I 'visit' that hel_l-hole about once every 6 months...only to buy 'exotic' things like Worcestershire Sauce, Vegemite etc.

Thai beaches (from what I have seen) are well below 'par' according to the beaches that I know. No, I'm not talking about bitches...I'm talking about beaches. Thanks to the 'Let's Freely Throw Our Rubbish All Over Thailand' policy that has been in force for some time, the beaches are quite possibly toxic.

If you want good weather & nice, clean beaches ('real' beaches with 'real' surf), go to the central coast of Queensland (Australia). There is only one drawback...Australia is expensive.

I certainly didn't come to Thailand for the beaches, the women or the men. If I wanted any of these things, I would have stayed in Australia.

So, why are you here then?

Maybe its spoilt because of these farangs wanting to stay as a farang,veggiemite and worcester sauce <deleted>

I like Phuket. I like Pattaya. I like almost everywhere else in Thailand with a possible exception for Bangkok.

I do bring family to both Phuket and Pattaya. If you know where (not) to go you can have a very enjoyable couple of days there. :)

+1

I don't like either place much, but then I'm a country boy.

Impression I get of Pattaya is a higher crime rate, and farangs tend to catch balconeyitis a sever falling disease of which once infected, there is no cure, only a dull thud. :)

Plenty of countryside mate,not just walking st.

I would suggest the crime rate in Bangkok is far higher,and most of the crime in Pattaya is thai against thai

True, I could show you pictures of the scum in Vancouver that are worse than what I've ever seen in Pattaya. Next time I'm in the east end of Vancouver, or in sections of the city center, I'll take some pictures to show what I mean. There are Lots of druggies and street people. Same with our Provincial capital of Victoria. What Vancouver and Victoria DOESN'T have is friendly open air bars where strangers sit comfortably yacking at each other for the price of a Singa, and possibly a drink for the pretty lady beside you. There are more hookers in Las Vegas than in Pattaya, but they are a LOT more expensive as well.

It all depends on what a person enjoys. As far as shopping is concerned, and available, reasonably priced accommodation, then Pattaya has Phuket beaten hands down. If you discount Koh Larn Island near Pattaya, Phuket Island has by far the better of the beaches. Just bypass Patong for one of the many others. I like Laem Sing beach myself.

Personally, I prefer Ao Nang beach near Krabi to either Pattaya or Phuket, but Pattaya has far more to offer in the form of night life. If it is just beaches you want then go to the photography forum on tv and check out that topic.

Although it offers a lot of options for shopping and nighlife, I find Bangkok just too big and too difficult to get around to make it enjoyable staying there. I much prefer Chiang Mai.

Today I came across 3 new condo developments having sales. Thats fairly good demand for an embarrassing filthy pit.

BTW I aw writing this from the free internet servics at Insonia nigtht club on walking street.

If they are building new condo buildings, then Pattaya MUST not be a filthy place, full of lowlifes, where people go to get laid? Lol, interesting logic there. :) I think you're confusing money with character. Not all poor people are lowlifes, and not all people who can afford those "luxury condos" you keep mentioning are upstanding individuals.

I love both, Phuket and Pattaya, however what your original post says is true.

If I say I am going to Phuket everyone is all smiles, if I say I am going to Pattaya I am looked upon with disgust as I must be a dirty scumbag for going there!!! The truth is that they are quite similar.

The beaches are far better in Phuket but walking st is much bigger and more fun than Banglad rd. And no, I am not talking about hoo_kers.

Pattaya has a bad rep, but it is what you make of it. Ijust got back from there after a holiday with my girlfriend(falang) and we both loved it. Had much more fun than Phuket, just had to swim in the pool instead of the beach.

Pattaya has good restaurants and hotels apart from that I find it's Thailands version of Blackpool/Benidorm.

Now that I've lit the blue touch paper I'll stand back and enjoy the fireworks. :)

If Pattaya is Blackpool, does that make Jomtien the Southport of Thailand?

why does Pattaya have such a bad rep ?

Why do you think?

As far as one being better than the other - Pattaya v Patong - they're both similar, but comparing Phuket Island as a whole to Pattaya is not really fair on the latter as it is simply a featureless beach backed by a characterless town. Phuket has loads of nice beaches, a hilly interior and an interesting old town. The only things that drag it down are the rampant rip-offs and parts of Patong. Apart from Koh Larn you have to travel right out of Pattaya to experience anything similar, although if you're just looking for the totty none of the above would concern the blinkered sexpat.

Pattaya has something for everyone. It can't be beaten for convenient living. I'm always amused that some of the more domesticated (henpecked) members choose to add their opinions. Their opinions are likely out of date because no way are they allowed to visit fun city. Born again bible thumpers are also quick to jump into the post.

As for myself, I'm a country type guy. Pattaya is just too congested to suit me. I still have a condo in Jomtien but Jomtien too is becoming quite crowded.

If your wife won't allow you to visit, eat your heart out. :)

If your wife won't allow you to visit, eat your heart out. :)

Wife enjoys Pattaya too. And I know Pattaya well enough to know which roads/sois to avoid, so her image of Pattaya is pretty much exactly what TAT pretends it to be. :D

It's really quite easy, you stay in a nice hotel on Jomtien, North Pattaya or Naklua, and you use Third Road and the back sois a lot. :D THAT's what that flyover at the end of Third Road is for by the way, to take the Mrs. to Bali Hai pier for the ferry to Ko Larn, without having to mill through endless bar scenes. :D

Holidaying in Phuket in early 2006 the deckchairs were 100 Baht on Karon & Patong beach, so at least they have'nt sky rocketed in price!. What miffs was the priice of tuk tuks, same as a family holiday in Samui last October, 400 Baht for a journey of less than 3km in a minibus/taxi from the airport.

Now the family hols involve a long drive down to Rayong Province beaches, do what the majority of Thai's do, take all your own gear.

Sea and beach good, food cheap and best bit, - minimal farang around.

Question: Did you just come back from "Phuket", or from Patong?

I ask because there's a lot more to Phuket than Patong Beach.

I was going to say the same thing. I think that Patong does have a similar reputation to Pattaya. Patong is one small part of Phuket, and I believe that in many people's minds, the reputation of the other parts of Phuket override that of Patong.

As for the specifics mentioned by the OP....100 baht charge for beach chairs? I've never paid that in my many trips to Phuket, but of course I don't go to Patong. Skyline full of towers? Why would you want that? Many people, myself included, like to go to the beach to escape the buildings of a city. Towers are even considered a nuisance by many. Chain restaurants? Again, to me this isn't a selling point for a beach town.

I would concure.

I work in Phuket(town), and it has nothing in common wiht Patong. I live in a small village and that is close to live in Nong Muang (near Lop Buri).

Patong is like Barnum, and Pattaya is like DisneLand. Most of people go there to be amazed; as I believe (might be wrong) most of people going to pattaya go there to be amazed.

Phuket it self (the island in general, and the town) are quite nice to live in, and take it from someone who did live and work in some rela good places (Nice, Cannes , Monaco and Ste Maxime). I do miss good infrastructure, life is far to be perfect; but there is capacity to have nice life here IF you simply avoid place as Patong. (and btw us I paid way less than 100 bath last saturday afternoon to have a sleeping chair on the Patong Beach).

Huh? is this guy REALLY ranting about 100 baht beach chairs?

OK I'll bite ... I'd rather pay 100 baht in Patong and have clean white beaches than 40 baht in Pattaya where there are ... hmmm ... how shall we say it ... ah! Sanitation problems with the beaches and the water.

Then again I lived in Phuket for some time and went to Patong about 12 times (about 1 time a month).

Maybe he misses the bars? No .. patong has plenty. Even Kamala where I lived had plenty of places to get a beer.

Hmmm maybe he missed walking down the street in Pattaya and smelling the sewage?

I am assuming he didn't get to Kata Karon or Laem Singh beaches ..... or enjoy driving the coast road around the island on a motorcycle :)

Perhaps you shouldn't be so hard.

Patong beach was more brown sand than white, in my recollection.

The only sewage smell along Pattaya beach is by the sewage pumping station, though completely in the wrong place TIT.

I stopped going to Phuket when it became ridiculously overpriced, and of course there is only the tuktuk mafia to get around after dark, while in Pattaya the baht buses are amazingly cheap and frequent. At least in Pattaya you can get to Jomptien cheaply without having to detour through Chonburi, or pay a small fortune to a tuktuk.