Thailand Imposes Curfew For Three More Nights

webfact

i have no problem with that. make it a week, make it secure, make it like it used to be. :D

definitely relieving to know something is being done about it. Reading Taksin's tweet messages, he's not the most liked person out there, don't let a few fool you, or them really. :)

I agree. Just like when you are sick and the doctor tells you to take the medicine for 5 days. You feel better after a couple of days and stop taking it but then a few days later you feel sick again.

Better to see it through fix the problem properly.

absolutely! :D

Yeah I am sure the "problem" will be completely and properly fixed after 3 nights!! What planet are you living on?? just like the doctor who first said: There is no problem. Ok there is a problem but it will go away. ok it will not go away we have to operate! ok the operation was not successfull so lets give you medicine for 1 day. Ok 1 day was not enough so lets give you medicine for 3 days.

Yeah, I am sure the problem will be gone then. This doctor is just SO competent :-)

I am at a loss at how naive people are in this board. And: No I am not just hiding behind the desktop. I have been to rajprason many times during the time these low-lifes hijacked it and my anger at the incompetence of police and army to resolve the problem has grown over a long time. And this curfew is just the icing on the cake really...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry guys, but I just don't think it's truly that dangerous. IMHO, many of you sound like chicken little. Be that as it may, I think the smarter approach would be for them to warn people of the potential "peril." and let them decide for themselves. This is not about me parking my bottom on a bar stool. This is about personal freedom, which does exist, even in Thailand to some extent.

Understand your frustration and wanting freedom but without the curfew, half of bangkok would be in flames by now. A curfew should exist until the country is stabilised, and if that takes a 6 months then so be it

So according to you it will be in flames then in 6 months time. whats the difference?

So if you don't want to have to got to bed at 9pm and you are in Bangkok or Pattaya - then come to Rayong or Koh Samet.

We don't have any curfew here!! So you can drink and eat and got to bed when you want and work on your tan in the day on the beach!!

Buddy Bar - Koh Samet - Saikeaw Beach

:D

You should at least pay up for "Sponsor" status here if you're going to shamelessly plug your place. :)

(even if you do have a nice place to go to; which you do)

Oh shut up !

Great news for Pattaya already on its knees, now this, way over the top

I hate to break this news to you, but the entire country is on its knees. I am taking it that being 'way over the top' that you're upset you will be able to perch your bottom on a bar stool only until 9pm?

There is a country to fix in case you hadn't noticed.

Yeah , good point, all I have seen is a whole lot of Frangs moaning about curfews, lets get to the medical side of things and give that Liver and Kidneys a rest, do most of you the world of good.

Are there any travel restrictions for daylight hours? Are the BTS and MRT open? Are there barricades still on Shumvit?

Sorry if this is the "wrong" place to ask, but I don't know how else to find out.

Thank the "stars" for Thai Visa and all of you.

Cheers,

Keoki

No restrictions. BTS & MRT are shut. Don't expect to get very far up Suhkumvit (Ploenchit / Rama I). Asoke should be OK.

OH my buddha. 60 people? That is about the normal DAILY death toll from traffic accidents!! GET REAL! in a city of roughly 10 MILLION sixty people dead in about a month of unrests and you call that a problem?? Are you serious? Laughable but I am happy if you will feel safe again once the curfew is over and the competent thai government, army and police have things under control again as they did before :D

It's 60 too many... though you do have a point. Over 200 people died during Songkhran in a much shorter period of time than this has bene going on for so far. Still, it is brazen and uttterly self-centered to compain about not being to go out and to be defiant and just go out for the (quite literal) hel_l of it :)

THAI GOVERNMENT IS A KINDERGARDEN!

Now the citiziens and businesses even in unaffected areas have to suffer from their incompetence! They should have cleaned up this mess the day the protests started. And the curfew what good is it outside bkk, udon, chiang mai? How many red shirt lootings has Pattaya and Chonburi had? Well, none but lets just impose a curfew, why not its kinda cool.

Yesterday they said one night. then its 3 more nights. probably 3 more weeks they way this incompetent bunch of idiots behaved since the start of the crisis.

Why do the citizens and businesses should follow these idiotic orders?? The red shirts were the ones hijacking and destroying property. They certainly did not follow any laws?! What good will come from that curfew outside of certain areas of BKK? Complete joke which makes thailand show its real face that of a coward incompetent nation with incompetent citizens to boot.

I ask all self thinking individuals NOT to follow this silly order!

do not spend even one unnecessary baht in this pathetic country! let them feel the full swing of low season, worldwide recession, terrible exchange rates and let them suffer for their increasingly bad service, corrupt police, hostile attidude, incompetent leadership, ridicoulous education and xenophobic, self-centered world view. RIP THAILAND. SOM NUM NAA

Lord. Haven't you gone yet? Or your girlfriend can't get the visa she needs because she's 'uneducated, xenophobic, hostile, corrupt, self-centered?' I am sure she will love you long time in sunny Cebu. There's a flight daily to Cebu! Pai laew na

Swing's open tonight. Rong Muaeng, soi 5

Hang out with the protesters, yeah right :)

An idiotic statement of rare vintage if ever there was one. How on earth could you possibly know the political persuasions of the patrons ? A significant proportion of the punters are farangs.

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

yeah, just what the soldiers need is jackasses out and about during the curfew.

Bangkok is a huge city with many exciting & colourful corners, and even in peaceful pre-Red times, going out at night thinking "I have nothing to fear in Bangkok" is very quaint. There's exotic and interesting gang areas and places where they wouldn't even find your dainty little slippers for months.

Now with the hardcore Reds, who have automatic weapons, grenades, are high on Meth and have showed repeatedly they are more than happy to kill anybody,if you go skipping around at night out there you are incautious.

many people doesn't figure out yet that the land of smile (LOS) doesn't exist anymore and it changed into land of fire (LOF)

I am sorry guys, but I just don't think it's truly that dangerous. IMHO, many of you sound like chicken little. Be that as it may, I think the smarter approach would be for them to warn people of the potential "peril." and let them decide for themselves. This is not about me parking my bottom on a bar stool. This is about personal freedom, which does exist, even in Thailand to some extent.

Understand your frustration and wanting freedom but without the curfew, half of bangkok would be in flames by now. A curfew should exist until the country is stabilised, and if that takes a 6 months then so be it

The situation is very dangerous , right across the country, be carefull, do not travel unless you really need to , stay away from crowds and be well awhere of your surroundings.

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

So your solution is that everyone that looks like a farang should be able to be out and about? And where exactly should we go since the rest of the millions of people are restricted to their homes? A taxi driver and "normal" people (whatever that means) that are breaking curfew is your reasoning for breaking the curfew as well? The vast majority of Red's are regular people that are fighting for something they believe in, but there is an element (obviously) in that group that would love to take this to another level with guns, bombs, fires and other destructive measures. They have already been named terrorists and if caught will be executed. What is there to lose now? You are foolish to act as though this curfew is an inconvenience when in all practicality YOU the foreigner is a prime reason why the curfew was put in place to begin with. How do you think it is going to play to the rest of the world when the first TOURIST from the UK or USA is blown away by a grenade while they are taking a stroll out on the street? The Red's did not get their way... what makes you think that moving them out of the downtown has broken their resolve? Stop crying about a few days of curfew and wake up to the fact that this isn't the typical "coup" scenario that we've seen in the past with the Thai government. This is a movement that has a strong support structure made up of (to use your description) "normal" Thai people. I hope that the radical element in that group does not go to new tactics including bombing locations where foreigners go so that they completely cripple this government. A curfew is small price to pay to help enable the military and police to stop, detain and disrupt the Red's that intend harm to society. Get a grip.

Edited by bluecheesefan

Now the citiziens and businesses even in unaffected areas have to suffer from their incompetence! They should have cleaned up this mess the day the protests started. And the curfew what good is it outside bkk, udon, chiang mai? How many red shirt lootings has Pattaya and Chonburi had? Well, none but lets just impose a curfew, why not its kinda cool.

Yesterday they said one night. then its 3 more nights. probably 3 more weeks they way this incompetent bunch of idiots behaved since the start of the crisis.

Why do the citizens and businesses should follow these idiotic orders?? The red shirts were the ones hijacking and destroying property. They certainly did not follow any laws?! What good will come from that curfew outside of certain areas of BKK? Complete joke which makes thailand show its real face that of a coward incompetent nation with incompetent citizens to boot.

do not spend even one unnecessary baht in this pathetic country! let them feel the full swing of low season, worldwide recession, terrible exchange rates and let them suffer for their increasingly bad service, corrupt police, hostile attidude, incompetent leadership, ridicoulous education and xenophobic, self-centered world view. RIP THAILAND. SOM NUM NAA

Lord. Haven't you gone yet? Or your girlfriend can't get the visa she needs because she's 'uneducated, incompetent, xenophobic, hostile, corrupt, self-centered?' I am sure she will love you long time in sunny Cebu. There's a flight daily to Cebu! Pai laew na.

But perhaps, before you do go, you take your own advice, and wander around in central BKK during the curfew. After all, you're a self-thinker?

What a waste of oxygen you are.

Personally I disobey the curfew - I value my freedom more than anything else. There might be some risk associated with my attitude but I'm willing to take it. I spent a couple of hours last night just riding my motorbike all around Chiang Mai. With very few cars and bikes on the street it was great fun. Only saw a lonelz policeman on a bike and he didn't seem to be interested in me at all.

I think some of you are taking this curfew thing way to serious, but if you want to stay at home that is your call of course.

Lord. Haven't you gone yet? Or your girlfriend can't get the visa she needs because she's 'uneducated, incompetent, xenophobic, hostile, corrupt, self-centered?' I am sure she will love you long time in sunny Cebu. There's a flight daily to Cebu! Pai laew na.

But perhaps, before you do go, you take your own advice, and wander around in central BKK during the curfew. After all, you're a self-thinker?

What a waste of oxygen you are.

It seemes like you 2 guys really likes each others :)

To directly say NOT to follow the curfew is plain stupid, its for our own protection man !

Have a nice trip to where ever mate, me my self is staying here in the nice kindergarten..... :D

A curfew that allows the police and army to shoot you on sight, no question asked... That's serious enough for me.

Good luck to your freedom... But if you get caught in the wrong place, you'll need more than luck.

The curfew is there to protect Bangkok and it's citizens - people like you and me.

The less people there are on the streets - the easier it is to distinguish between troublemakers with bad intentions and innocents.

So keeping us innocent bystanders inside will keep us safe and make the job of clearing up the troublemakers quicker and easier.

And then hopefully normality can return quickly and we can all stay out all night long again until the sun rises :)

yes but you see he dont get that. he has a learning disability; he was dropped on his head from the 2nd floor when he was an hour old. he did survive the drop but that's about it. Thank you though for trying to point out the common sense of the curfew. u r a noble man

catch ya later. enjoy your trip back to wherever ya came from. you shant be missed

Great news for Pattaya already on its knees, now this, way over the top

Selfish attitude. But, what can one expect from the typical Pattaya Farang?

News Flash: This isn't over. There is still fighting, burning and looting going on. My GF's brother is a CID Bangkok cop undercover with the redshirts, monitoring and reporting on their continuing activities. It's turning into a guerilla war. He told her this morning, that the authorities believe that Bangkok will not be completely safe for some time to come, maybe years.

So, a curfew should be the least of your worries.

:) and my friend's cousin's brother is bruce lee!

great undercover cop... spilling the beans to his bar girl sister & gossip queen

Provinces under State Of Emergency (SOE) and Curfew:

Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Lampang and Nakhon Sawan, Bangkok and Nonthaburi and parts of Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Ubon Ratchahani, Maha Sarakam, Roi-et, Nongbua Lumpoo, and Sakhon Nakorn, Kalasin and Ayutthaya

the people are pissed now the war will start poor against the rich not a lot a curfew will do to stop it

not poor vs rich, it's thaksin pawns vs persons with brains and education. lets get that straight

I read in the New York Times that the four leaders who surrendered yesterday, before the greatest unrest and the fires, at the speaking platform inside the Red Shirts area pleaded with those there to just give up that day and to pick up later on, that they could carry on this struggle later on. However, the crowd booed them! The leaders then left to be tried for treason. I really do not believe that, in the hearts of those who lead these demonstrations, they were at all intent on violence; they wanted to peacefully achieve something that the crowd really wants: liberty, equality and fraternity, not the "peace and bread" offerred by the Bolsheviks before the 1917 Revolution. I am sure that these people really care more about Thailand and the future of Thailand than people here seem to give credit. Why are so many here not interested in the deeper ideas behind the protests of the Red Shirts? Is it that you have a "position" here that is comfortable and, of course, with a higher economic level than most Thais will ever enjoy and you are afraid to lose it? Is it that you are carrying with you a certain sense that you are of some higher class or ethnicity than most Thais?

When I move to Thailand in 2011, I know that I will be a guest there. I will act as a guest. I will, most certainly, develop friendships there as well with people of many "classes" as well. I would hope that we could discuss things that are happening in Thai social, political, economic and cultural areas openly and that they can educate ME. I will certainly not be there to dictate what the people want, need or do. When I was there for a month on Phuket, I was fortunate to make friends there and to be able, to this day, to ask questions honestly and to discuss them freely (of course there are some things forbidden and I will not go there with them at all as I respect that as a matter of course). As a "farang" myself, I will never stand in judgement of the actions of any group in Thailand for it is, most certainly, not my "place." Fortunately, you have this forum to talk in and to say as you please to the same extent as I have.

Please, tell me, politically, socially and economically, where the Red Shirts are "off base" here! Also, what are the goods as well as the negatives of BOTH the Red Shirts AND the Yellow Shirts. What are, as you see it, the platforms of each group and how do they mesh or not mesh with the current Thai political, social and economic structure. What are the "classes" in Thai society? Where are you in terms of this heirarchy?

Thank you so much. You may email me directly, if you wish to establish a dialog over time, at [email protected].

Take care. Hopefully, for now, this is settled. However, I am sure that this entire thing will be revisited in the not-too-distant future.

Glad to hear that after 1 month here, and with intention to move here next year, that you are so well informed on the social, political, and economic situation that you are able to advise all us long term expats how we should behave.

Thanks. :)

My wife said banks up-country are closed today... is this true?

Bank holidays??? :D

Correct, 20 and 21 May have been declared banking holidays nationwide.

Regular banks will open on Monday the 24th, and maybe the micro branches (like in Lotus etc) will open Saturday. A bit doubtful though if the supporting network (money transports out of head office for example) are down till Monday.

Latest is that banks can now open on Friday, if they want to :)

Are there any travel restrictions for daylight hours? Are the BTS and MRT open? Are there barricades still on Shumvit?

Sorry if this is the "wrong" place to ask, but I don't know how else to find out.

Thank the "stars" for Thai Visa and all of you.

Cheers,

Keoki

yes there are many soldiers 24 hours a day at every intersection near Nana and Asok. Forget about chitlom and siam direction

Personally I disobey the curfew - I value my freedom more than anything else. There might be some risk associated with my attitude but I'm willing to take it. I spent a couple of hours last night just riding my motorbike all around Chiang Mai. With very few cars and bikes on the street it was great fun. Only saw a lonelz policeman on a bike and he didn't seem to be interested in me at all.

I think some of you are taking this curfew thing way to serious, but if you want to stay at home that is your call of course.

You 'da MAN! :)

(Just hope no one is depending on you, like students in a class, or a wife/child at home.) :D

This extra 3 days curfew is Karma for all you guys in Bangkok.

You had a week off work - I didn't.

You have to stay in for the weekend - I don't :) Som nam na :D

I expect we might have a bit of a party down here in Ban Chang with some of the Pattaya refugees at the weekend.