Thailand Imposes Curfew For Three More Nights

webfact

not happy about this curfew going on for 3 more nights. that leaves the weekend in ruins. anyone know if its still possible to go out for a few drinks in bangkok anywhere at all?

Yes; you have until 2pm today or from 5pm to 9pm tonight to buy crates and crates of the stuff from any supermarket/convenience store, binge at home, pass out and thus be unable to post crass questions like this.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

yeah, just what the soldiers need is jackasses out and about during the curfew.

I went to the end of the Soi looked around and went back. I was not the only one out, and please refrain from the personal abuse. You don't know the first thing about me. FYI, there were no soldiers where I live...

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok.

Another big hard keyboard warrior!! :)

I wonder if you would be saying the same thing with a bullet between your eyes!!! People are being shot at you plant pot!!

Probably the most ridiculous statement I have seen on here.... and boy there have been many!!!

I am sorry guys, but I just don't think it's truly that dangerous. IMHO, many of you sound like chicken little. Be that as it may, I think the smarter approach would be for them to warn people of the potential "peril." and let them decide for themselves. This is not about me parking my bottom on a bar stool. This is about personal freedom, which does exist, even in Thailand to some extent.

I really am not flaming, but you come across as a complete tool, you really do!!!

I am sorry guys, but I just don't think it's truly that dangerous. IMHO, many of you sound like chicken little. Be that as it may, I think the smarter approach would be for them to warn people of the potential "peril." and let them decide for themselves. This is not about me parking my bottom on a bar stool. This is about personal freedom, which does exist, even in Thailand to some extent.

Obituary : He didn't think it was dangerous even though a curfew was in place :)

This has nothing to do with being chicken, but with common sense and realizing that there is a valid reason for the curfew so the army can do their job and kill the bastards without having to worry about a Thai, a journalist or westerner getting hurt by accident - it does also help to identify those motherfuc,,,ers because they will be the only ones on the street besides the armed forces andpolice - do you understand the reasoning behind this?

Completely absurd! I am an adult with little to fear from the Red Shirts, or anyone else in Bangkok. Once again, the Thai government chooses to treat its citizenry and the others living here as if we are all 12 years old. Why is it that every "solution" from these guys tends towards the lose- lose category? Incidentally, I walked around last night at 10PM. It was quiet, but there were still normal people out and about. One taxi even tried to pick me up for a fare.

Why don't you try working with those in charge and stop bitching about things you can't change. If not maybe it's best you clear of home to! Everyone is trying to do their best in a difficult situation.

Hey carbine. I have been here a long time and have been a law abiding citizen the entire time. The whole point of these forums is for people to give their opinions and "bitch" as it were, about things they don't agree with here. I can't change it, but I have every right to complain about it, just as you seem to feel that you have the right to tell people to clear off if they don't like it. Take it easy.

So what time you heading out for a casual stroll in Din Daeng?

It's about control! They need to do what needs to be done to try and extricate this country from the hole it's in. Why can't you understand that? What they're doing behind the scenes is up to them but to enable them to do that, they need plonkers like you off the streets and safely bedded down at home.

They are trying to ensure your 'personal freedom' for the years to come. Why can't you just accept it and let them do what needs to be done.

Judging by your argument, when a plane is about to encounter turbulence, the captain pings the seatbelt sign - I am guessing you're one of those that thinks he's above it all and strolls around the cabin?

I read in the New York Times that the four leaders who surrendered yesterday, before the greatest unrest and the fires, at the speaking platform inside the Red Shirts area pleaded with those there to just give up that day and to pick up later on, that they could carry on this struggle later on. However, the crowd booed them! The leaders then left to be tried for treason. I really do not believe that, in the hearts of those who lead these demonstrations, they were at all intent on violence; they wanted to peacefully achieve something that the crowd really wants: liberty, equality and fraternity, not the "peace and bread" offerred by the Bolsheviks before the 1917 Revolution. I am sure that these people really care more about Thailand and the future of Thailand than people here seem to give credit. Why are so many here not interested in the deeper ideas behind the protests of the Red Shirts? Is it that you have a "position" here that is comfortable and, of course, with a higher economic level than most Thais will ever enjoy and you are afraid to lose it? Is it that you are carrying with you a certain sense that you are of some higher class or ethnicity than most Thais?

When I move to Thailand in 2011, I know that I will be a guest there. I will act as a guest. I will, most certainly, develop friendships there as well with people of many "classes" as well. I would hope that we could discuss things that are happening in Thai social, political, economic and cultural areas openly and that they can educate ME. I will certainly not be there to dictate what the people want, need or do. When I was there for a month on Phuket, I was fortunate to make friends there and to be able, to this day, to ask questions honestly and to discuss them freely (of course there are some things forbidden and I will not go there with them at all as I respect that as a matter of course). As a "farang" myself, I will never stand in judgement of the actions of any group in Thailand for it is, most certainly, not my "place." Fortunately, you have this forum to talk in and to say as you please to the same extent as I have.

Please, tell me, politically, socially and economically, where the Red Shirts are "off base" here! Also, what are the goods as well as the negatives of BOTH the Red Shirts AND the Yellow Shirts. What are, as you see it, the platforms of each group and how do they mesh or not mesh with the current Thai political, social and economic structure. What are the "classes" in Thai society? Where are you in terms of this heirarchy?

Thank you so much. You may email me directly, if you wish to establish a dialog over time, at [email protected].

Take care. Hopefully, for now, this is settled. However, I am sure that this entire thing will be revisited in the not-too-distant future.

You missed many of the speeches of the red shirt leaders telling their followers to fight to the death, to burn Bangkok, and if the protests in Bangkok failed, to burn all the government buildings in the provinces.

What happened after the leaders surrendered was exactly what the followers were told to do by their leaders.

Obituary : He didn't think it was dangerous even though a curfew was in place :)

This has nothing to do with being chicken, but with common sense and realizing that there is a valid reason for the curfew so the army can do their job and kill the bastards without having to worry about a Thai, a journalist or westerner getting hurt by accident - it does also help to identify those motherfuc,,,ers because they will be the only ones on the street besides the armed forces andpolice - do you understand the reasoning behind this?

Yes Herm, I understand it. I am just saying that it is way over the top.

Some tourists/expats should know that they are guests here. If the country feels it is necessary to enforce a curfew to restore peace in the country they have the right to do so without asking your or anybody else s permition.

Exactly so. And tourists and expats have the equal right to take their money to countries which are not in a semi-perpetual state of virtual siege and where they are generally more welcomed by the local populace. Thailand R.I.P.

Don't bother coming back!

Oh I won't, fear not. Not if you paid me, actually. However, I wonder if those who derive their income from the tourist industry can afford to be so blasé in their attitudes?

Edited by Rumpole

There were many places in Bangkok where thugs were ransacking or burning buildings. The way for the authorities to control this was to make sure everyone stayed home. There are still areas where thugs are attacking the army and lighting tyres. At night it is a lot harder to see who is an innocent bystander, and who is a thug causing trouble, so it's easier to have the innocent by-standers of the street, for their own protection.

Obviously, not all areas are dangerous, but who would have expected bombs and fires at On-Nut?

It's about control! They need to do what needs to be done to try and extricate this country from the hole it's in. Why can't you understand that? What they're doing behind the scenes is up to them but to enable them to do that, they need plonkers like you off the streets and safely bedded down at home.

They are trying to ensure your 'personal freedom' for the years to come. Why can't you just accept it and let them do what needs to be done.

Judging by your argument, when a plane is about to encounter turbulence, the captain pings the seatbelt sign - I am guessing you're one of those that thinks he's above it all and strolls around the cabin?

I do understand that it's about control, and I do accept it. I don't have to like it. I also have said repeatedly that it's just over the top. No, I would never walk around the cabin after the seatbelt light goes on, but I don't need lessons from the gits in here who think they are the farang voice of authority to tell me what my opinion should be. I'm done

Some tourists/expats should know that they are guests here. If the country feels it is necessary to enforce a curfew to restore peace in the country they have the right to do so without asking your or anybody else s permition.

Exactly so. And tourists and expats have the equal right to take their money to countries which are not in a semi-perpetual state of virtual siege and where they are general more welcomed by the local populace. Thailand R.I.P.

You comment makes no sense to me.

What has the curfew to do with money or going out for a night. Even as a guest, the country has to protect you and if they impose the curfew, you should accept this.

I don't want to go out and run into a gun battle only because I feel adult.

I really am not flaming, but you come across as a complete tool, you really do!!!

Well thank you for that constructive criticism. Back at ya'

My wife said banks up-country are closed today... is this true?

Bank holidays??? :)

Correct, 20 and 21 May have been declared banking holidays nationwide.

Regular banks will open on Monday the 24th, and maybe the micro branches (like in Lotus etc) will open Saturday. A bit doubtful though if the supporting network (money transports out of head office for example) are down till Monday.

it does also help to identify those motherfuc,,,ers because they will be the only ones on the street besides the armed forces andpolice - do you understand the reasoning behind this?

Actually . . . that's total and utter <deleted>. If I was hellbent on torching buildings and causing general mayhem with impunity, I'd probably be respecting the curfew along with everyone else and then, once things got back to normal, I'd resume my nefarious activities.

Oh yeah, this is a super great idea. Someone pipes up that they don't like being treated like a child and they receive the usual "thais are always right" bullshit.

"You're a guest in their country." Who would have known? I thought I was an illegal immigrant.

"This is for your own good." Stab yourself in the face please.

Basically I do not have any respect positively whatsoever on any planet, plane, level feeling or any manner whatsoever for this asinine crap. I plan to intentionally violate the curfew on purpose and if this makes me a "keyboard warrior" than shove it up your ass.

WHY? What are you trying to prove?

I hope you don't go running to the police or your consulate when you get shot or attacked or anything else. Thugs are looting and burning 7/11's. Don't complain if you get caught up with something like that.

Why don't you just let the police and army sort the situation out, then you can get back to your life when that is done.

edit: I got your rant, before you edited it. What is the point in going out, when nothing is open?

Edited by whybother

I do understand that it's about control, and I do accept it. I don't have to like it. I also have said repeatedly that it's just over the top. No, I would never walk around the cabin after the seatbelt light goes on, but I don't need lessons from the gits in here who think they are the farang voice of authority to tell me what my opinion should be. I'm done

exactly. this place is full of farang who think they are above others who they deem to be less integrated into thailand. when in actual fact they are just sad bastards sat in front of their laptops with their paid for wives (direct tax or stealth tax its still the same) sat in the other room watching tv texting their thai mates.

it does also help to identify those motherfuc,,,ers because they will be the only ones on the street besides the armed forces andpolice - do you understand the reasoning behind this?

Actually . . . that's total and utter <deleted>. If I was hellbent on torching buildings and causing general mayhem with impunity, I'd probably be respecting the curfew along with everyone else and then, once things got back to normal, I'd resume my nefarious activities.

Yes, but for all those "law abiding" terrorists the curfew gives the legitimate authorities a chance to put out the fires they started and clean up the mess they made without a mob preventing it.

The curfew is inconvenient, sure. But there is no other way to restore order. If you are out on the street, you will be arrested. If you are intent on obeying the curfew but still causing mayhem during the day, at least the curfew prevents reestablishing protest sites and allows the authorities to do their jobs without violent mobs attacking them.

However you look at it, it is very necessary.

exactly. this place is full of farang who think they are above others who they deem to be less integrated into thailand. when in actual fact they are just sad bastards sat in front of their laptops with their paid for wives (direct tax or stealth tax its still the same) sat in the other room watching tv texting their thai mates.

There is a middle ground between skipping up the street proclaiming 'i fear nobody in bangkok' , and being the very cliche'd sex-tourist construct farang you outlined.

There's a lot of expats, staying off the streets because they just just have good street-sense and also want to help the security forces job easier in mopping up these red~anarchist tosspots.

Exactly so. And tourists and expats have the equal right to take their money to countries which are not in a semi-perpetual state of virtual siege and where they are general more welcomed by the local populace. Thailand R.I.P.

You comment makes no sense to me.

What has the curfew to do with money or going out for a night. Even as a guest, the country has to protect you and if they impose the curfew, you should accept this.

I don't want to go out and run into a gun battle only because I feel adult.

Oh, I accept the curfew. I may have been injudicious enough to come to this country at this time, but I am not completely stupid. Made my bed and I shall lie in it until I can get the hel_l out (tomorrow if Buddha wills it). I had however hoped that the apologists and Pollyannas on this board would refrain from trying to give the impression that Thailand is still a desirably tourist destination, but judging from recent posts on other threads, I suspect this is a forlorn hope. Just as the Thai Foreign Ministry have tried to cajole Western governments into downgrading their travel alerts (fortunately without success).

Edited by Rumpole

For Gods sake stop whinging and think about others. A curfew is the best thing to have to help stop all this looting and arson. get a grip. If others go out then its up to them, if they get shot its also up to them. If you get shot I doubt from your attitude it will be a great loss

9pm???? news is still saying 8pm......can anyone confirm the time?

That is like banning firearms. The law abiding citizen will , but the criminal do not, but it sounds good.

I live in Chiang Rai they roll up the side walk every night at 7 pm anyway.

Perhaps, that might be the very point of it, so they can easily identify the trouble-makers???