Banks Closed

lanky

during this curfew crisis it is harder to exchange money at normal banks unless you use atm machines would just like to know if banks are closed and considering the world crisis in europe and the forever changing exchange rate are the rates frozen in thailand or adjusted accordingly the next day

Edited by lanky

Difficult to know or forecast a single thing.

With the country in a state of anachy, with nationwide curfews and with civil war possible, just reign in. Get survival money and stay safe.

Then when you can escape, get on a flight from the States to Chiang Mai. It seems to be a lot more stable here.

Difficult to know or forecast a single thing.

With the country in a state of anachy, with nationwide curfews and with civil war possible, just reign in. Get survival money and stay safe.

Yes, Banks are closed, and by now many ATM machines are empty and are not being refilled I experienced that yesterday, fortunately I have credit/cards and can carry on purchasing essential items, but those people without c/cards will have serious problem, and one is surprised that the banks allow this to happen.

This sort of action affects the whole society in a rather serious way (no access to money) and one is surprised that the government did not take action via the police (and army if needed) to protect the banks in order that they can carry on providing their essential service to society so that the people can continue with their normal life.

I read (somewhere on here) that there was a new announcement that the banks are open today, but have no idea if it is legit. There is a fair amount of disinformation being posted.

Edited by Ulysses G.

For legal reasons quoting and linking to the Bangkok Post is not allowed. 1 post deleted for that.

The Bank of Thailand has the following announcement:

With reference to BOT announcement of May 19, designating May20-21, 2010 as a bank holiday, additional clarification is deemed necessary as follows.

For public convenience, bank branches located in all shopping malls and department stores can be on service subject to individual bank's security and feasibility.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Pages/BOTDefault.aspx

So banks inside shopping malls and department stores are allowed to be open, other banks not.

I read (somewhere on here) that there was a new announcement that the banks are open today, but have no idea if it is legit. There is a fair amount of disinformation being posted.

No. They are closed.

In these troubled times best to personally check ( telephone, visit) Pointless relying on forum posters who are regurgitating from other sourses or just making things up for effect.

I was told by my bank on Tuesday evening that closures throughout Thailand were likely

caf

For legal reasons quoting and linking to the Bangkok Post is not allowed. 1 post deleted for that.

The Bank of Thailand has the following announcement:

With reference to BOT announcement of May 19, designating May20-21, 2010 as a bank holiday, additional clarification is deemed necessary as follows.

For public convenience, bank branches located in all shopping malls and department stores can be on service subject to individual bank's security and feasibility.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Pages/BOTDefault.aspx

So banks inside shopping malls and department stores are allowed to be open, other banks not.

20 21 are not "bank" holidays, Mario. Under the s.o.e SOME government offices are closed ( as a "holiday" - well, tit).

Bank closures are for a different reason. I assume you can guess why

There are quite a few posts that claim that it was announced that banks inside shopping centers and department stores are allowed to open, but not regular banks - see mod's post above. However, are any shopping centers in Chiang Mai open?

Edited by Ulysses G.

UG - Central Airport is open today but I didn't go to the basement so I don't know about the banks. THe missus said Tesco Khamtien was open too.

Cheers,

Pikey.

All the banks I saw at central airport plaza an hour ago were closed, though I was just walking past them on my way, so did not specifically check

them all.

Edited by Awk

As of yesterday, all banks down here in the south were closed with notes in the windows they were closed 20-21st. I'm hoping that means they are open today, but I'm not sure if its normal here for banks to be open on Saturday.

Because of the lack of tourists here, the branches inside shopping malls/Lotus/etc will NOT exchange currency and I'm down to my last few thousand baht and have an unpaid hotel bill to settle (they don't take credit cards).

Will find out later today if any of the regular branches are open. I do have credit cards, and I do have an ATM card so can pull money out that way. But due to the shitty currency conversion rates my bank is giving me, combined with "fees", I'd prefer to just exchange my out of country currency.

I posted a while back that everyone should keep a few 100K in cash in a safe place, just in case. Some think thats weird for some reason, yet they carry a spare tire in their car, same thing. Just prepare a bit for the unexpected. A number of things can cause the banks to close or the ATMs not to work. Everyone believes those little pieces of plastic will always give them what they need, but thats just not the case. :)

Am I understanding this correctly, you are advocating keeping ~300,000 baht in your sock drawer just in case the ATMs don't work for a few days? :D I probably don't spend that amount of money in six months of living in Thailand and that's without trying to be particularly thrifty. I doubt that I am the unique case. Using your spare tire example, this is analogous to carrying eight spare tires in your car, just in case...

Just back from airport plaza. All banks are open, and the populair ones are enormously busy. Somehow even got a better exchange rate from the bank then is given on the internet for my Euro's. Altho better is hardly the right word as it's still rediculous :)