Born In Thai, Europe Passport

If a kid is born in Thailand but receives the passport of the Euro father, will the child need a Thai passport to exit Thailand? Can they exit with the Euro Passport even if it has never been stamped but was issued at Bangkok?

Second question is child exiting Thailand with one parent be it mother or father? Is this an issue at all or as long as father/child mother/child have the same name in the passports?

You need a Thai Passport for the Child if you leave Thailand and did not enter Thailand on foreign passport.

I never had a problem when I leave with my son alone, but always had a letter and ID photo copy of my wife, certifying that I can go with the child. Alternatively take your wife to the airport and ask her to wait until you past immigration.

In any case, some officers may ask questions some not. We will know when you on the counter in front of the officer.

Edited by kevinbkk

A birth certificate and passport should be all that is required to exit Thailand - think of a foreign nationals having a baby in Thailand - they are not eligible for a Thai passport.

But if the Euro country allows dual citizenship the child really should obtain a Thai passport and use that for exit/entry of Thailand and the other for entry/exit of other country.

If the child returns on a foreign passport a visa is required to enter Thailand. With applying for a Thai passport you would avoid that. Always leave and re-enter on the Thai passport.

Passport cost only 1,000 baht and you will have it within 5 days. For 35 baht they send it to your home.

You need a Thai Passport for the Child if you leave Thailand and did not enter Thailand on foreign passport.

I never had a problem when I leave with my son alone, but always had a letter and ID photo copy of my wife, certifying that I can go with the child. Alternatively take your wife to the airport and ask her to wait until you past immigration.

In any case, some officers may ask questions some not. We will know when you on the counter in front of the officer.

What kind of letter? Just something hand written from your wife or is there an official form? I noticed some countries need a official or certified letter.

When you left with your son, did you use a foreign passport for yourself and Thai passport for your son?

We thought about having the wife go to the airport but that would mean time off work and extra cost as she would have to fly to Bangkok and then fly home. I'm checking now about having a Thai version of a certified letter made.

The birth certificate is normally enough, Thailand doesn't have parental abduction laws.

But it can't hurt to make a copy of the wife's ID-card and let her write on the papper that she gives you permisison to travel with the child. (Thai and English). It will be more than enough. No need to have an official paper made.

Mario, thanks so much. We contacted some friends and they said I could get something official at the ampur. Having been down many roads over here redundant paperwork seems the best route. After my appointment I will update with what I find out.

I will also do as you suggest and have the copies including notes made.

Went down to the ampur and they made up a Thai document and stamped it. Basically it says I can travel, take the kid to hospital, whatever I need to do. I'm not sure what they call it here, it took all of 15 minutes to get and get it stamped, no cost.

Went down to the ampur and they made up a Thai document and stamped it. Basically it says I can travel, take the kid to hospital, whatever I need to do. I'm not sure what they call it here, it took all of 15 minutes to get and get it stamped, no cost.

now you'll just need to get a Thai passport for the child so they can re-enter Thailand without needing a visa!

Samran, We already had dual passports. I was just worried about the kid exiting on a Thai and me on a separate nationality. It looks like were good to go now, everything done. We will know for sure next week, will update the thread then.