Need To Identify Your Dvd Media Manufacturer?

waldwolf

For info:

If you've ever wondered who the real manfacturer of your DVD media is, a small freeware utility named DVD Identifier v4.0.1 will help you do just that.

screenshot_full.gif

DVD Identifier v4.0.1 offers a reliable method of accurately identifying the disc's real manufacturer by retrieving and interpreting the pre-recorded information that is present on dvd media (dvd+r, dvd+r dl, dvd+rw, dvd+rw dl, dvd-r, dvd-r dl, dvd-rw and dvd-ram) and on blu-ray media (bd-r and bd-re).

This information contains a variety of parameters such as disc manufacturing information and supported write speeds. Even though this information is usually printed on the packaging, the brand name may differ from the actual manufacturer or sometimes there might not even be any packaging information at all.

One nice feature of this little utility is, the manufacturers database can be updated.

Homepage: here

Download Link: here (98kb)

cheers :o

do you know a simillar tool for CDs?

For info:

If you've ever wondered who the real manfacturer of your DVD media is, a small freeware utility named DVD Identifier v4.0.1 will help you do just that.

screenshot_full.gif

DVD Identifier v4.0.1 offers a reliable method of accurately identifying the disc's real manufacturer by retrieving and interpreting the pre-recorded information that is present on dvd media (dvd+r, dvd+r dl, dvd+rw, dvd+rw dl, dvd-r, dvd-r dl, dvd-rw and dvd-ram) and on blu-ray media (bd-r and bd-re).

This information contains a variety of parameters such as disc manufacturing information and supported write speeds. Even though this information is usually printed on the packaging, the brand name may differ from the actual manufacturer or sometimes there might not even be any packaging information at all.

One nice feature of this little utility is, the manufacturers database can be  updated.

h90 - As katana indicated, there was a little utility called CDR Identifier, however, the author (www.gum.de) stopped their support (updating mfrs database) about 3-4 years ago, so today it would probably not give valid reading on current media.

Suggest you check this link for a possible replacement.

(PS - The "CDR Identifier" download at above site actually links to the "DVD Identifier" utility first listed in this thread and not the original "CDR Identifier" utility discussed.)

I think it can help with compatabilty problems. Some DVD drives won't work with certain brands of disk, although its getting better now.

Also you can check if your so-called high quality Ritek discs really are Ritek, as they say on the packaging.

I think it can help with compatabilty problems. Some DVD drives won't work with certain brands of disk, although its getting better now.

Also you can check if your so-called high quality Ritek discs really are Ritek, as they say on the packaging.

Oh.... I didn't know there is compatibility issues with CD/DVDs.

BTW, I heard some Chinese/Thai blank CDs from manufacturers like Princo/Smart Buy can be very unreliable and you can lose data in burned CD after 3 - 4 years. And that more expensive Japanese brand CD/DVDs like Mitsubishi Chemical and TDK are much safer and reliable, is this true?

For info:

screenshot_full.gif

One nice feature of this little utility is, the manufacturers database can be  updated.

cheers :D

hi'

thanks for link :o

francois

Oh....  I didn't know there is compatibility issues with CD/DVDs. 

BTW, I heard some Chinese/Thai blank CDs from manufacturers like Princo/Smart Buy can be very unreliable and you can lose data in burned CD after 3 - 4 years.  And that more expensive Japanese brand CD/DVDs like Mitsubishi Chemical and TDK are much safer and reliable, is this true?

I think CDs generally tend to have few if any compatibility problems.

For DVDs there can be more problems. On message boards I see some people complain about poor burns with Princo, others seem to have no problems.

The main thing if you want to preserve them I think is to keep the DVDs away from sunlight since it degrades the dye. I think there was a thread about this here a while back with more info.