Britain Eases Thailand Travel Warning

webfact

Britain eases Thailand travel warning

LONDON (AFP) -- Britain on Saturday eased its travel advice on Thailand, warning nationals to "exercise caution" if travelling to Bangkok and the northern city of Chiang Mai.

At the height of deadly anti-government protests in Bangkok, Britain warned against all travel to the capital.

"The Foreign Office has amended its advice regarding travel to Thailand," it said in a statement.

"We are now advising travellers to exercise caution if travelling to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. This replaces the previous advice, which advised against all but essential travel to Bangkok and Chiang Mai."

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has lifted a curfew imposed across about one third of the country in the wake of the protests.

"Political stability continues to be a problem and the risk of violence and further demonstrations remains, but life in both cities has largely returned to normal," the Foreign Office said.

"British nationals throughout Thailand are advised to exercise caution and avoid demonstrations and large gatherings."

Around 812,000 British nationals visited Thailand in 2008, the Foreign Office said, citing Tourism Authority of Thailand figures.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-29

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Why have they quoted figures from 2008? It's half way through 2010 now.

They can't afford to come anyway what with state that Tony Brown dragged the country into, the weak £ and the strong Baht, and the rising costs in Thailand. I don't think there will be as many British visitors this time.

They can't afford it now .... It's too expensive.

Edited by Randee

They can't afford to come anyway what with state that Tony Brown dragged the country into, the weak £ and the strong Baht, and the rising costs in Thailand. I don't think there will be as many British visitors this time.

The data must be from before the Yellow shirt took over the Airport, so is the highest for past 3 years

2008 Figures are the latest available from the Thai Tourism Authority, 2009 should be out soon.

Who is Tony Brown ?? :)

Regards

ragandboneman

That is contradictory. If the BHT is strong then prices for commodities (costs)will come down in Thailand because commodities are priced in US dollars.

As far as tourism goes, Thailand hit rock bottom on May the 18th. It's only up from here until the next political crisis.

Edited by sokal

That is contradictory. If the BHT is strong then prices for commodities (costs)will come down in Thailand because commodities are priced in US dollars.

As far as tourism goes, Thailand hit rock bottom on May the 18th. It's only up from here until the next political crisis.

Surely you mean the next incident in the ongoing political crisis. Tourism in Thailand will be way down this year for a variety of reasons as its tough times almost everywhere at the moment.

Tony Brown is a mix of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as they both had terms in office during labours time governing the Uk, and thus can both be cited as causing the current problems the UK faces - depending on an individuals political outlook

I have always said that if the Baht goes lower than 50baht to 1 Pound i wouldn't return things. I was in Bangkok in Feb2010 when 1 Pound would buy you 51-52 baht coins and now it's 46baht to the Pound.

Where is this all going to end :) . I must say though that i have also said in the past that if the rate worsens then it will deter the chiang beer vest wearing scumbags from coming :D . So it's not all bad.

Unfortunatley Cambodia cuisine is no where near the standard of Thailands and although i want to love Cambodia the people are the some of the most stupid i have ever met, exceptions to the rule exist of course.

Edited by loser1

2008 Figures are the latest available from the Thai Tourism Authority, 2009 should be out soon.

Who is Tony Brown ?? :D

Regards

ragandboneman

:D:Dwhaa!!! i meant gordon :)

I have always said that if the Baht goes lower than 50baht to 1 Pound i wouldn't return things. I was in Bangkok in Feb2010 when 1 Pound would buy you 51-52 baht coins and now it's 46baht to the Pound.

Where is this all going to end :D . I must say though that i have also said in the past that if the rate worsens then it will deter the chiang beer vest wearing scumbags from coming :D . So it's not all bad.

Unfortunatley Cambodia cuisine is no where near the standard of Thailands and although i want to love Cambodia the people are the some of the most stupid i have ever met, exceptions to the rule exist of course.

i agree about the cambodians, they are stupid as you can get. and ignorant and rude...

but youve got to consider that their atrocious war wiped out a whole entire generation of men.

so these guys you see there now have never had fathers or male influence or anything else of this kind of influence in their lives.

they have all been brought up by only women and all of their lives had very little discipline and guidance of males.

i know its not a perfect excuse for them but it must have affected them being at such a disadvantage.

but they are so hatefully stupid, ignorant and rude though aren't they. :D:):D

Tony Brown is a mix of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as they both had terms in office during labours time governing the Uk, and thus can both be cited as causing the current problems the UK faces - depending on an individuals political outlook

I thought about telling a fib and saying this is what I meant ..... but I guess I'm just too honest and upstanding to do that :):D

I have always said that if the Baht goes lower than 50baht to 1 Pound i wouldn't return again. I was in Bangkok in Feb2010 when 1 Pound would buy you 51-52 baht coins and now it's 46baht to the Pound.

Where is this all going to end :D . I must say though that i have also said in the past that if the rate worsens then it will deter the chiang beer vest wearing scumbags from coming :D . So it's not all bad.

Unfortunatley Cambodia cuisine is no where near the standard of Thailands and although i want to love Cambodia the people are some of the most stupid i have ever met, exceptions to the rule exist of course.

i agree about the cambodians, they are stupid as you can get. and ignorant and rude...

but youve got to consider that their atrocious war wiped out a whole entire generation of men.

so these guys you see there now have never had fathers or male influence or anything else of this kind of influence in their lives.

they have all been brought up by only women and all of their lives had very little discipline and guidance of males.

i know its not a perfect excuse for them but it must have affected them being at such a disadvantage.

but they are so hatefully stupid, ignorant and rude though aren't they. :D:D:D

I agree with your reasons to why Cambodian boys are so stupid, a lot of Thai boys are the same though. Isn't it funny how asian men and their female counterparts seem poles apart in there compatability. It's almost as if if we could do an exchange and have western men and asian women we could have a nice little continent where western men get the place ship shape and asian women give the guys the reason to do it and we ship all the asian men to Africa. How about that for a plan?? :)

Edited by loser1

You mean their major export will not arrive in great numbers.

Have you ever heard of Canadian hooligans?