42,000 Thais Die From Smoking Annually

LaoPo

42,000 Thais die from smoking annually

BANGKOK, 30 May 2010 (NNT) –

About 42,000 Thai people die from smoking each year while Thai women are found to have a rising tendency to smoke, according to Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit.

Speaking at a seminar on ‘Women: Tobacco Industry’s Victims’ organized at MBK Center in Bangkok on the occasion of the World No Tobacco Day, 31 May, he said smoking is the world’s no.1 killer after hypertension. One out of every ten fatalities is caused by smoking.

Continues here:

http://www.siamdailynews.com/2010/05/31/42...oking-annually/

LaoPo

Not a joke, hypertension only kills one person. Check how many people die from secondary smoke inhalation...

Exactly, and how many die from air pollution caused by thousands and thousands of vehicles on our city streets?

I've given up the ciggies 4 years ago after almost 20 year of smoking. Todays I still want to smoke every now and then.

Not if you'd read Alan Carr's 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking' you wouldn't. His book explains why 'addiction' to cigarettes is a myth perpetrated by cigarette companies to keep you 'hooked', and why you keep yourself 'addicted' to tobacco. :)

Not a joke, hypertension only kills one person. Check how many people die from secondary smoke inhalation...

Exactly, and how many die from air pollution caused by thousands and thousands of vehicles on our city streets?

A walk down lower suk is like smoking a pack a day.

my teeth are all yellow, and so is my tongue,

I breath through a kipper and call it a lung.

I'll give up the habit, I will even yet,

when I've had just one more cigarette

"Ain't because I don't smoke myself,

I don't reckon they hinder your health,

been smoking all my life and I ain't dead yet"

As you have posted this many times before when smoking is mentioned, I have to ask what a different pollutant has to do with the pollutant of smoking?  The topic here is smoking in Thailand and how many Thais die anually from it, not about pollution, obesity, lack of cancer screening, drunk driving, poor diets, or any other cause of early deaths.  

As you have posted this many times before when smoking is mentioned, I have to ask what a different pollutant has to do with the pollutant of smoking?  The topic here is smoking in Thailand and how many Thais die anually from it, not about pollution, obesity, lack of cancer screening, drunk driving, poor diets, or any other cause of early deaths.  

It has nothing to do directly with it other than when the bi-monthly smoking is bad for you topic pops up, invariably the anti-smoking lobby jumps on board about 2nd hand smoke in some sort of witch hunt etc. I use the car analogy for comparison - since obviously we all care about everyone's health.

Don't sweat it though, I will just start a topic about air pollution and health effects in Thailand caused by automobiles and you guys can carry on your crusade.

Don't sweat it though, I will just start a topic about air pollution and health effects in Thailand caused by automobiles and you guys can carry on your crusade.

It's an honourable crusade against a dishonourable industry.

Those who die from smoking related causes have only themselves to blame if they are smokers. A two year old in Indonesia smoking two packs a day, that I've seen on Yahoo deserves better. Parents need to be arrested, overly fed little guy too.

and check how many people die of old age :)

may not get there after the damage the cigs have caused, thankfully now free from the habit.

There are over 200 00 people in the UK dieing every year from smoking or smoke related diseases, costing The NHS billions of pounds in self inflicted problems , and before people say what about my tax, you will never pay enough for hospital treatment and after care, So 42 000 does not seem a lot.

my teeth are all yellow, and so is my tongue,

I breath through a kipper and call it a lung.

I'll give up the habit, I will even yet,

when I've had just one more cigarette

"Ain't because I don't smoke myself,

I don't reckon they hinder your health,

been smoking all my life and I ain't dead yet"

Give up smoking, Give up Beer, Give up tasty fat food ,Give up Thai Ladys. You will live forever and Die a sad old man.

As you have posted this many times before when smoking is mentioned, I have to ask what a different pollutant has to do with the pollutant of smoking? The topic here is smoking in Thailand and how many Thais die anually from it, not about pollution, obesity, lack of cancer screening, drunk driving, poor diets, or any other cause of early deaths.

It has nothing to do directly with it other than when the bi-monthly smoking is bad for you topic pops up, invariably the anti-smoking lobby jumps on board about 2nd hand smoke in some sort of witch hunt etc. I use the car analogy for comparison - since obviously we all care about everyone's health.

And when you do start a post there, I will most likely agree with what you post. I mean, who can argue for automobile-caused air pollution?

As far as the "anti-smoking lobby witch hunt," does it really matter what some poster on TV posts about second-hand smoke? Are you that compelled to jump onboard on each smoking thread with comparisons to pollution caused by cars? Well, obviously you are, and that is OK. Just as it is OK for me to point out that just because one is bad does not alleviate the need to limit the other.

42,000 ?? It seems like the real number is 2-3 times that much,

In the 1970 s the science journal 'Scientific American' published a study on preventabe causes of death in the U.S. anually.

500,000/yr died from smoking.

The population of the U.S. then was about 220,000,000

The population of Thailand 2009 was 65.000.000

The U.S. population was 3.38 times the Thai population

Given that about the same % of the population smoke, about 25%

You would expect at least 2.5 x 42,000 = 105.000 Thais having smoking related deaths/yr

In the 1970 s the science journal 'Scientific American' published a study on preventabe causes of death in the U.S. anually.

You would expect at least 2.5 x 42,000 = 105.000 Thais having smoking related deaths/yr

I agree - it's terrible, now if only the Government's could give up their addiction to the taxes and just make it illegal.

post-22903-1275531859.jpg

Would you please delete the last line above and replace it with the more accurate 65/220 x 500000= 147,727 Thai deaths/yr