DSI Seeking Cooperation From Interpol For Thaksin’s Extradition

webfact

If the case is compelling for the charge of terrorism (and foreign press suggests it is!) then Interpol will help facilitate an arrest. Then it goes to the governent of the country he is arrested in to extradite or not.

Political motivation will not be an issue in a charge of terrorism if a pria facie case is made for the warrant. It doesn't matter how much Thaksin supporters cry about it, there is no excuse allowed for commiting acts of terrorism, conspiring to commit acts of terrorism, or financing terrorism.

Right on the money...... according to? Interpol!

Interpol has an article 3 that precludes working on charges of a political, religious, or racial nature. But according to Interpol's website that discusses this very fact, it does not apply to violent terrorist crimes. Violent terrorism is not a political charge. They even give examples, which I think Thaksin had better read fast.

Here is the full story from INTERPOL's website all about the..

INTERPOL- Legal framework governing cases of a political, military, religious or racial character

The key point is............

"Requests aimed at prosecuting terrorists are processed in strict conformity with the above rules, particularly in terms of applying the predominance theory. In practice, Article 3 does therefore not prevent those accused of serious, violent terrorist offences (such as serious attacks against human life or physical safety, hostage-taking and kidnapping, serious attacks against property (bomb attacks, etc.), unlawful acts against civil aviation (hijacking of aircraft)) from being located with a view to their arrest and extradition."

I think many here confuse a politically motivated crime like breaking press rules, with acts of violence. A politically motivated crime is one that would not otherwise be criminal except for politics. Burning down cities is illegal everywhere.

Sorry I must have missed the news article where the goverment accuses him of any of these DIRECT actions, can you direct me to it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I must have missed the news article where the goverment accuses him of any of these DIRECT actions, can you direct me to it.

And while you're there, try and find the one where the Americans accuse Osama Bin Ladan of personally flying planes into buildings, setting alight his shoes and underpants, blowing up trains and buses, and general hands on acts of terrorism.

And while you're there, try and find the one where the Americans accuse Osama Bin Ladan of personally flying planes into buildings, setting alight his shoes and underpants, blowing up trains and buses, and general hands on acts of terrorism.

who rattled your cage, I was commenting on the Interpol article quoted... go start a poll or something

Still no answer from all you government allies as to what the alleged evidence is

When asked the same question the best that Korn (the Finance Minster) could manage in an otherwise quite reasonable interview with the BBC was to laugh and mumble "every Thai person knows it". Somehow I can't quite see that making it as convincing evidence ....

who rattled your cage, I was commenting on the Interpol article quoted... go start a poll or something

The government is accusing him of being behind the grenade attacks, burnings and black shirts. You don't actually have to be caught wearing a suicide vest, with a pair of platform heels with a fuse sticking out the side and a suspicious scorch marked bulge in your undies to be up on a terrorism charge you know. They did capture some of the black shirts. They did delay the court order while they questioned them. They definitely have some information.

The government is accusing him of being behind the grenade attacks, burnings and black shirts. You don't actually have to be caught wearing a suicide vest, with a pair of platform heels with a fuse sticking out the side and a suspicious scorch marked bulge in your undies to be up on a terrorism charge you know. They did capture some of the black shirts. They did delay the court order while they questioned them. They definitely have some information.

I'm not sure which part of this you don't understand I was commenting on the Interpol quoted article 3

"Requests aimed at prosecuting terrorists are processed in strict conformity with the above rules, particularly in terms of applying the predominance theory. In practice, Article 3 does therefore not prevent those accused of serious, violent terrorist offences (such as serious attacks against human life or physical safety, hostage-taking and kidnapping, serious attacks against property (bomb attacks, etc.), unlawful acts against civil aviation (hijacking of aircraft)) from being located with a view to their arrest and extradition."

which lists direct action, and asking where the government accuse him of direct action. If there is another article stating BEHIND such actions then I agree with the poster, if not this quoted article is not relevant.

Apparently kmj thinks that they only arrest people AFTER they blow themselves up (which figuratively Thaksin and the red shirts have already done when they rejected the elections and started burning BKK)

http://www.interpol.int/public/ICPO/PressR...03/PR200332.asp

NEW YORK - INTERPOL has made an important change in the requirements for the issuance of international wanted persons notices, known as Red Notices, based on membership in a terrorist organization.

Article 3 of the INTERPOL constitution forbids the organization from getting involved in cases of a political, military, religious or racial character. Until now it has been interpreted to mean that no Red Notice could be issued based only on the crime of being a member of a terrorist organization. Individuals had to be charged with other criminal offences such as murder, assault, conspiracy to commit a crime before a Red Notice could be issued.

The policy change has come about because membership in a terrorist organization is now a criminal offence recognized by increasing numbers of countries and because INTERPOL has developed greater expertise in evaluating such Red Notice requests. Thus, effective 18 November 2003, INTERPOL has begun authorizing the issuance of Red Notices based on this offence, even if the individuals are not wanted for other crimes.

Requesting countries will, however, be required to provide strong evidence that wanted individuals are indeed members of terrorist organizations. Mere lists of suspected members of terrorist groups generated by member countries will not be a sufficient basis for issuing an INTERPOL Red Notice.

Conspiracy alone has always been adequate to get a red warrant for Terrorism.

Edited by jdinasia

With Kasit (who previously stated that taking over the airports was "a lof of fun") leading the offensive to extradite Thaksin, I'm sure a lot of countries will take the request seriously.

NEW YORK - INTERPOL has made an important change in the requirements for the issuance of international wanted persons notices, known as Red Notices, based on membership in a terrorist organization.

Article 3 of the INTERPOL constitution forbids the organization from getting involved in cases of a political, military, religious or racial character. Until now it has been interpreted to mean that no Red Notice could be issued based only on the crime of being a member of a terrorist organization. Individuals had to be charged with other criminal offences such as murder, assault, conspiracy to commit a crime before a Red Notice could be issued.

The policy change has come about because membership in a terrorist organization is now a criminal offence recognized by increasing numbers of countries and because INTERPOL has developed greater expertise in evaluating such Red Notice requests. Thus, effective 18 November 2003, INTERPOL has begun authorizing the issuance of Red Notices based on this offence, even if the individuals are not wanted for other crimes.

Requesting countries will, however, be required to provide strong evidence that wanted individuals are indeed members of terrorist organizations. Mere lists of suspected members of terrorist groups generated by member countries will not be a sufficient basis for issuing an INTERPOL Red Notice.

Allow me to correct you. There is no such thing as a "red warrant", only a "Red Notice", which is not an arrest warrant. Interpol doesn't arrest anyone, they only issue a notice. And note especially this part:

Edited by pud

http://www.interpol.int/public/ICPO/PressR...03/PR200332.asp

I thought the government said that the red's are not a terrorist organization, but an organization with terrorist activists. otherwise every member could be arrested under the same warrant as a member of the organization.

In what way does Interpol have to "co-operate"? The case gets presented, they agree or not.

I think something is lost in translation here. What would Thailand do if Interpol didn't "co-operate"?

"Scream, and scream, and scream until I'm sick"?

Go back and read the post again you might get it right the second time round

My point is, it would again make Thailand look bad if Interpol did not act on Thailands request, it would indicate the charges are trumped up and Interpol did not consider the charges legitimate.

We will see soon enough

Still no answer from all you government allies as to what the alleged evidence is

No it just means they would go back and build their case stronger,

based on Interpols comments on why they thought it wasn't good enough.

With Kasit (who previously stated that taking over the airports was "a lof of fun") leading the offensive to extradite Thaksin, I'm sure a lot of countries will take the request seriously.

Allow me to correct you. There is no such thing as a "red warrant", only a "Red Notice", which is not an arrest warrant. Interpol doesn't arrest anyone, they only issue a notice. And note especially this part:

Welcome back Sgt! That was fast!

Kasit isn't an issue :) The PAD isn't an issue.

Your Pedantry about red notice is duly noted :D

KMJ --- that was not solely about organizations :D

THIS should help out FC and the rest of the reds that think "political motivations" will be a reason for the Thai request to be ignored.

REITERATES that criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public or in a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes, cannot be justified under any circumstances, irrespective of considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or other nature that may be invoked to justify them;

http://www.interpol.int/public/ICPO/Genera...8DraftRES11.asp

Edited by jdinasia

Kasit isn't the issue, obviously. The issue is Thaksin. But Kasit, as FM, is leading the extradition request and the communications with foreign governments. And I don't think it will go well with countries who had to send airplanes to evacuate hundreds of thousands of stranded tourists, because he thought he was "having a good time".

Kasit isn't the issue, obviously. The issue is Thaksin. But Kasit, as FM, is leading the extradition request and the communications with foreign governments. And I don't think it will go well with countries who had to send airplanes to evacuate hundreds of thousands of stranded tourists, because he thought he was "having a good time".

Nope -- they will look at the merits of the case (warrant) ... does it meet the prima facie requirement for a trial? If so they will move ahead with it. Most people won't have a clue who Kasit is .. and would care less. The word TERRORIST will be enough if they present evidence.

When asked the same question the best that Korn (the Finance Minster) could manage in an otherwise quite reasonable interview with the BBC was to laugh and mumble "every Thai person knows it". Somehow I can't quite see that making it as convincing evidence ....

You and farang can maybe get together and tell us where we can pick up a news paper or What TV station we can tune into that lays all the evidence out that they have against terrorists while they are still out of jail

Please hurry we are waiting with bated breath. :)

Nope -- they will look at the merits of the case (warrant) ... does it meet the prima facie requirement for a trial? If so they will move ahead with it. Most people won't have a clue who Kasit is .. and would care less. The word TERRORIST will be enough if they present evidence.

You mean Interpol or other 'foreign countries' will be impressed if they write the word TERRORIST in all caps and immediately extradite Thaksin?

You and farang can maybe get together and tell us where we can pick up a news paper or What TV station we can tune into that lays all the evidence out that they have against terrorists while they are still out of jail

Please hurry we are waiting with bated breath. :)

ht_osama06_070724_ssv.jpg

Please hurry we are waiting with bated breath. :D

ht_osama06_070724_ssv.jpg

Good one and in there case I believe it. Do you think they have there bar code tatoo yet? :)

If the case is compelling for the charge of terrorism (and foreign press suggests it is!) then Interpol will help facilitate an arrest. Then it goes to the governent of the country he is arrested in to extradite or not.

Political motivation will not be an issue in a charge of terrorism if a pria facie case is made for the warrant. It doesn't matter how much Thaksin supporters cry about it, there is no excuse allowed for commiting acts of terrorism, conspiring to commit acts of terrorism, or financing terrorism.

Right on the money...... according to? Interpol!

Interpol has an article 3 that precludes working on charges of a political, religious, or racial nature. But according to Interpol's website that discusses this very fact, it does not apply to violent terrorist crimes. Violent terrorism is not a political charge. They even give examples, which I think Thaksin had better read fast.

Here is the full story from INTERPOL's website all about the..

INTERPOL- Legal framework governing cases of a political, military, religious or racial character

The key point is............

I think many here confuse a politically motivated crime like breaking press rules, with acts of violence. A politically motivated crime is one that would not otherwise be criminal except for politics. Burning down cities is illegal everywhere.

He ask all the people to go to the town hall if there is a crack down. Is this DIRECT enough?

How to respond? So many ways.

1. Well good, then Abhisit was not seen firing into innocent people and if he was, the video cannot show the trajectory of a bullet traveling at 3000 fps. Perhaps the bullet turned left all of a sudden.

2. Or let's do an Einstein thought experiment (I assume you know what that is) Osama buys a nuke, puts it New York and tells someone in NY to push the button. Now the experiment. A lawyer says the New Yorker who pushed the button is guilty of terrorism and not Osama. Now what do people tell this lawyer?

I'm not sure which part of this you don't understand I was commenting on the Interpol quoted article 3

which lists direct action, and asking where the government accuse him of direct action. If there is another article stating BEHIND such actions then I agree with the poster, if not this quoted article is not relevant.

"which lists direct action"

Where?

Yea A great crock of BS the government is still putting out about Interpol but yet they have not contacted them. :)

And let us hope they have enough sense not to.

That is all Interpol needs to know it is politically motivated when the government contacts them and takes it out of the justice system

Let us hope they let the DSI handle it. On the other hand do we really want him back. It might be just the excuse the red terrorists are looking for to disrupt the country, cause thousands of all ready poor to suffer, loose thousands of jobs for the nine to five working class, burn a few more business down, raid more hospitals and all the other things they stand for.

Question to red shirt idiots.

Why do you back him. I can understand it if he cared about you. But when he took out citizenship in Montenegro he kinda said by by suckers. He does not need it to stay out of Thailand. There are a lot of third world countries that would let him stay with out citizenship. Cambodia maybe!

A lot of white collar criminals came to Thailand starting about 20 years ago. They conducted their white collar crimes and received a big boost from Taksin and his two main generals. They did not like Taksin as much as the generals, as Taksin was too greedy and demanded lots. This made their take smaller. Spain has had a crackdown on this a couple of years ago which minimizes the option for growth there. This leaves their other major location, Honk Kong. They need more than Hong Kong. Some of the other countries they operate out of are not as developed or are too dangerous for them. They do not want to go back to where they started from, Salt Lake city, utah, as this is too close to home. If the red shirt apologist don't like Thailand, it's time they should get out of Thailand so we don't have to read their repeated postings on TV. It's been 3 months and they say the same thing against the government.

Yea A great crock of BS the government is still putting out about Interpol but yet they have not contacted them. :)

yep ,

mapped OUT ,

actions speak louder than words .

my 100 bht is , they will not request interpol to detain thaskin.

mr amsterdam man {thaskins lawyer } paid to be on stand by .

just in case .

A bit ironic, the government requesting Interpol intervention… yet totally discarded all previous requests for third party intervention made by the redshirts. This latest request to Interpol screams of nothing more than a politically motivated smear campaign to deflect the spotlight away from Abhisit. His government would like the international community to suddenly suffer from mass amnesia and believe that this is nothing more than an Abhisit vs.Thaksin problem. If Thaksin is painted as a bad guy then Abhisit must walk away looking like the good guy. Try as they might however, they cannot dilute the fact that this junta backed government is responsible for killing many innocent civilians. In Thailand, murder gets you 3, LM gets you 18, and simply wearing a red shirt to a rally and asking for democracy can get you instant death. Where is the justice in that? Most onlookers have also not forgotten about the much televised government sponsored assassination attempt on Arisman or the successful assassination of Sae Dang. All on his orders yet Abhisit has taken no responsibility whatsoever. Therefore, when considering this brand of legal system, with its self serving, make-it-up-as-you-go rule of law; why would anybody in their right mind blame Thaksin for avoiding Thailand like the plague? Also, for anyone complaining about Thaksins choice of attorneys, you must be very worried about him, otherwise why would you be concerned that he has a bad attorney? :)

A bit ironic, the government requesting Interpol intervention… yet totally discarded all previous requests for third party intervention made by the redshirts. This latest request to Interpol screams of nothing more than a politically motivated smear campaign to deflect the spotlight away from Abhisit. His government would like the international community to suddenly suffer from mass amnesia and believe that this is nothing more than an Abhisit vs.Thaksin problem. If Thaksin is painted as a bad guy then Abhisit must walk away looking like the good guy. Try as they might however, they cannot dilute the fact that this junta backed government is responsible for killing many innocent civilians. In Thailand, murder gets you 3, LM gets you 18, and simply wearing a red shirt to a rally and asking for democracy can get you instant death. Where is the justice in that? Most onlookers have also not forgotten about the much televised government sponsored assassination attempt on Arisman or the successful assassination of Sae Dang. All on his orders yet Abhisit has taken no responsibility whatsoever. Therefore, when considering this brand of legal system, with its self serving, make-it-up-as-you-go rule of law; why would anybody in their right mind blame Thaksin for avoiding Thailand like the plague? Also, for anyone complaining about Thaksins choice of attorneys, you must be very worried about him, otherwise why would you be concerned that he has a bad attorney? :)

I don't think you made a single accurate statement in your entire rant!

This isn't about Abhisit vs Thaksin at all. This is about Thaksin financing and inciting acts of terrorism inside Thailand.

Televised assassination attempt on Arsiaman? LOL You mean when a fat terrorist climbed out a window and down some wire? If it were an assassination attempt you wouldn't be talking about an attempt.

Government sponsored assassination of Sae Daeng? It is far more likely that either the reds killed Sae Daeng (after he threatened the leadership), or Thaksin had him killed after so vocally linking Thaksin to running the rally, or someone aligned with the PAD did as revenge for previous grenade attacks, or the military did to remove command and control, or some other military did as revenge of Sae Daeng's ronin attack on April 10th. WAY too many players in that game to cast blame on one person or group without proof of any kind.

the rest of your claims are just as spurious.

Thaksin himself said he trusted the Thai courts (until his lawyers got busted for attempting to bribe a court!)

His lawyers ---- hmmm taking on a client that can be attributed with 30 times the number of deaths seems kinda stupid on their part :D

I don't think you made a single accurate statement in your entire rant!

This isn't about Abhisit vs Thaksin at all. This is about Thaksin financing and inciting acts of terrorism inside Thailand.

Televised assassination attempt on Arsiaman? LOL You mean when a fat terrorist climbed out a window and down some wire? If it were an assassination attempt you wouldn't be talking about an attempt.

Government sponsored assassination of Sae Daeng? It is far more likely that either the reds killed Sae Daeng (after he threatened the leadership), or Thaksin had him killed after so vocally linking Thaksin to running the rally, or someone aligned with the PAD did as revenge for previous grenade attacks, or the military did to remove command and control, or some other military did as revenge of Sae Daeng's ronin attack on April 10th. WAY too many players in that game to cast blame on one person or group without proof of any kind.

the rest of your claims are just as spurious.

Thaksin himself said he trusted the Thai courts (until his lawyers got busted for attempting to bribe a court!)

His lawyers ---- hmmm taking on a client that can be attributed with 30 times the number of deaths seems kinda stupid on their part :D

There's always hope that the Aliens might revisit you and remove the device... until then, dream on. :D

Are you one of Thacky's lawyers???? It sure sounds like it. Your assumptions are absurd.

Are you one of Thacky's lawyers???? It sure sounds like it. Your assumptions are absurd.

Army kill no people.

The black shirt that work for the red shirt killed 89 people including Seh Daeng.

This is an official govt statement.

Go believe other rumors if you want.