Going Wireless In The Home

sunshine146

Hi

Finally got a new wireless laptop. I'm over the moon with it.

Adsl is available here but i don't know what do i need to connect to the internet wireless around the home.

How have other people done it?

I still have a desktop so if worse came to worse i could always connect tru that and buy something to make the desktop wireless. I'd rather if there was some box or something that i didn't hae to use the desktop.

Thanks for a response.

Well, I just set up a network at the office and at my house...and its pretty helpful when you want to work at home...

However, you need a broadband router to support multiple operation modes including: Access Point (AP) mode to create a wireless connection; Router mode to share an Internet connection; and Wireless Client mode to connect an existing wireless network. (the most popular brands are linksys or d-links )

The router is used to share a single broadband Internet connection, such as in a hotel room and they will automatically sets IP addresses for everyone in the room can connect to the Internet.

For a desktop you can use the wireless system by installing the receiever with either the wireless LAN card or wireless Lan USB at the PC and then everything will be connected.

post-18226-1119096500.jpg

post-18226-1119096540.jpg

Easiest way is probably to get a wireless router with built-in ADSL modem. Cheapest I saw was around 4,000 baht (wireless G). Just connect that to your ADSL line, setup, and you're able to connect to it with your wireless laptop. Nothing else needed.

Or you can get a wireless adapter for your PC, around 2,000 baht. The PC would connect to ADSL with a normal freebie USB modem and act as a router. Put both your notebook and PC in "ad hoc" mode, and they'll talk to each other wirelessly.

I'd rather if there was some box or something where I wouldn't have to use the desktop.

With the wireless router with built-in ADSL modem that Firefoxx mentioned, you don't have to have your desktop computer turned on. With just the wireless router/ADSL modem combo fired up and connected to your ADSL phone line, that's all you need to connect wirelessly with your notebook.