Cat Lover In Chiang Mai

calcurtis2010

Does anyone know of any breeders of Maine Coon or Ragdoll cat breeds here in Thailand. my wife and I have lived here for a year and would like to buy one to make up for the loss of the beauty we left behind in Australia. Does anyone out there know of breeders of the Maine Coon or Ragdoll breeds here in Thailand. Please give us their contact details.

Cheers

Cal :)

hi. yes they're nice looking cats. sorry I haven't heard of any Thai breeders - have you done a search in the thaivisa pets sub-forum?. Thaivisa moderator "rimmer" has a few cats - maybe he may know of someone.

i assume you plan to keep them indoors? I'm just thinking that the combination of soi dogs, climate and serious numbers of ticks might make it very unpleasant or dangerous for them otherwise.

I brought a cat from Australia (just a domestic longhair) but get it clipped a couple of times a year and it seems to be fairly comfortable ... but thankfully does not venture outside at all after some early near-misses with local dogs

There's something decidedly immoral about paying for a cat or dog in a country that has an abundance of strays just begging for good homes. So, if you are a genuine cat lover, why not do the right thing and go to Wat Pa Pao and get yourself one of the poor unfortunate moggies that have been dumped there?

My dad has two Maine Coon Cats and frankly, I would think it would be very uncomfortable for the cat to be in this climate. Unless of course, you kept their hair clipped regularly. And then that kind of defeats the purpose of having such a beautiful cat.

Gotta agree with UG. Get a local cat. They are supremely adapted to the environment and will handle the climate much better than a Maine Coon.

That said if you absolutely must have the cat, then I would suggest moving this topic to the pets forum as its more likely to find a nationwide response (I can't imagine that the country is overflowing with Maine Coon breeders)

I can in many ways sympathize with the idea that you should get a local cat. They're abundant and certainly in need of somebody to care for them. However, if you're looking for an indoor cat, a local one might not be such a good idea. They're since countless generations used to roaming free and might not adjust that well to a more constrained life.

Ragdolls, as mentioned by the OP, are on the contrary a purely indoor breed. Their idea of "life in the wild" is a leisurely stroll in the garden for maybe half an hour each day... As a matter of fact, they should not be let out on their own, since they (at least many of them) lack defensive instincts and would loose out in any encounter with a dog or other cat.

They do however adjust extremely well to the warm climate. A long coat serves not only to keep an animal warm in cold weather, but also to protect it from excessive heat. My cats are certainly doing extremely well here and their coats are actually longer than they ever were when we were living in Scandinavia.

Unfortunately, I am fairly sure that there are no Ragdoll breeders in Thailand. As far as I know there are in fact only six Ragdoll individuals in Thailand, one in Bangkok and the other five are mine (I used to breed them before moving here). At least my five cats are all neutered/spayed, so there is no chance of any offspring...

Again as far as I know, you would have to look to Europe, Australia/New Zealand or the US for a Ragdoll breeder.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Main Coon 4 months old kitten for sale ... From an advertisement placed more than two years ago: http://www.webboard.mahamodo.com/webboard_...xt&txtfind=

Tel: 0894497195

Email: //sorry but e-mail removed as per forum rules//

You could give it a try. :D

Here a list where they advertise Main Coon's for sale. Latest ad was 8 1/2 months ago. You could try the phone numbers.

Telephone numbers of a Main Coon breeder (2 year old ad) 089 8142716, 02-5193509

And one from almost a year ago: http://mainecoonmaineycat.plazathai.com/pet/show137926/

Price range for a kitty seems to be between 50 and 80,000 baht ... ONLY!!! :)

No Ragdolls, sorry!

Good luck! :D