Disc Drive Problems

MagnumForce

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with my Disc Drive. I put a brand new DVD+RW disc in but when I try to burn a movie from my hard drive on to this disc it says there is no disc. I tried a genuine DVD (not a copy) and that is not recognised either. Also, when I insert a CD-ROM, it's not recognised.

However, genuine Audio CD's work fine for some reason.

Can anybody help me to fix this problem? I am not a techie so I don't understand techie speak or codes and stuff unfortunately. Plain English would be good.

Thanks in advance.

MF

A wierd problem, usually they just work or they don't. Go to your device manager via the Windows Control Panel >System and uninstall the DVD-ROM. Log off and power down, reboot and let windows find the hardware and reinstall the driver.

If that don't work get the make and model number of the drive and check the firmware. You may need to re flash it with the latest firmware. This can be normally downloaded from the web. From the Product makers support site or other driver and firmware sites

just type into google the make and model followed by 'firmware download' you will find it

Try cleaning it with a cd cleaner. If it doesn't work it is probably quicker, and easier in the long run, just to put a new DVD burner in. They can be bought for around 700/800 Bt.

Good post!

I had a similar problem to the OP's: CDs would be recognised but not DVDs. I lived with this for about a year until I decided to actually use the CD/DVD cleaner that I'd bought about a year previously. It was one of those with a ribbon of thin cleaning hairs radially attached to the underside of a "cleaning disc", a small bottle of cleaning fluid and a cloth.

I was totally amazed when I discovered it had worked!

Checking the device manager and re-installing the drive would be the first step (because easy to accomplish),

but more likely it's a hardware issue, so cleaning the lense (with a cleaning kit or manually -> google) would be next.

A DVD drive uses two different laser diodes to read CDs and DVDs (different wave lengths), so if one type of media is not working, the laser might have burnt out.

If I remember correctly on aging drives the laser calibration might wear out as well.

Both are not easy to fix and replacing the drive is usually the better option.

Don't forget to check the warranty of the drive (sticker on the drive itself) if it is a Desktop PC.

Some standard questions:

Is it a Desktop PC or Laptop?

How old is the drive?

When did the problems start? Did you change anything in your setup (software, hardware) recently?

Use the best 'pressed' CDs and DVDs you can find (original, no scratches) and clean them before testing.

You mostly refer to DVDs but also state that a 'CD-ROM' is not working - is it possible you actually tested with a data DVD and not a data CD?