Liquid, Raw Goat Whey

Andreas84

For people who are into consuming proteins, for various reasons, this might perhaps be of interest, and maybe someone can help me figure this out:

I am consuming a lot of liquid Goat Whey protein, which is raw (unprocessed and organic), and produced at Hamza's farm. It is sold in many healthfood stores etc. I believe it is a good alternative to proetinpowders, which are greatly processed etc. I consume this because I am doing weightlifting. However, no one has been able to tell me the exact protein content of the goat whey. It comes on bottles of about 220 ml. A similar bottle of goat milk, would contain something like 8 grams of protein. The whey is said to contain significantly more, and it is a byproduct from cheese-production. During the production of cheese, the cheese will be on top of the container as a more solid substance, and the whey will separate as liquid below the cheese. The whey is supposed to contain most of the protein, and to be more concentrated in protein than the milk. So I guess one way to calculate it, would be the following. Lets say that 50 kilos of goat milk is used to produce a certain amount of cheese. Then one could measure by the end of the production, how many kilos is left as cheese, and how many kilos is left as goat whey. 50 kg/litres of goatmilk would give something like 32*50 grams of protein. If one knows the approximate proteincontent in goats cheese, then the protein content in the goat cheese which had been produced could be calculated, and extracted from the total protein content which was there to begin with. Then, what remains of the protein, would all be in the whey.

On this link, the protein content of Goat Cheese is suggested: http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-goat000000000000000000000.html

But actually, 28 grams of goat cheese is said to contain around 6-9 grams of protein. Which is more than the goat milk. This would indicate that the goat whey actually contains less protein than the goat milk, or am I wrong?

For people who are into consuming proteins, for various reasons, this might perhaps be of interest, and maybe someone can help me figure this out:

I am consuming a lot of liquid Goat Whey protein, which is raw (unprocessed and organic), and produced at Hamza's farm. It is sold in many healthfood stores etc. I believe it is a good alternative to proetinpowders, which are greatly processed etc. I consume this because I am doing weightlifting. However, no one has been able to tell me the exact protein content of the goat whey. It comes on bottles of about 220 ml. A similar bottle of goat milk, would contain something like 8 grams of protein. The whey is said to contain significantly more, and it is a byproduct from cheese-production. During the production of cheese, the cheese will be on top of the container as a more solid substance, and the whey will separate as liquid below the cheese. The whey is supposed to contain most of the protein, and to be more concentrated in protein than the milk. So I guess one way to calculate it, would be the following. Lets say that 50 kilos of goat milk is used to produce a certain amount of cheese. Then one could measure by the end of the production, how many kilos is left as cheese, and how many kilos is left as goat whey. 50 kg/litres of goatmilk would give something like 32*50 grams of protein. If one knows the approximate proteincontent in goats cheese, then the protein content in the goat cheese which had been produced could be calculated, and extracted from the total protein content which was there to begin with. Then, what remains of the protein, would all be in the whey.

On this link, the protein content of Goat Cheese is suggested: http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-goat000000000000000000000.html

But actually, 28 grams of goat cheese is said to contain around 6-9 grams of protein. Which is more than the goat milk. This would indicate that the goat whey actually contains less protein than the goat milk, or am I wrong?

Not quite sure but a friend of mine makes cheese and for every 200lt of raw cows milk he makes 20k of cheddar cheese.We have been looking into the idea of making Ricotta or at least something that can be sold rather than throw away.Does anybody have some good ideas of where to sell it or convert to a saleable product and cost effective.

On this link, the protein content of Goat Cheese is suggested: http://www.nutrition...0000000000.html

(for milk 100 gram) Goat Cow

Protein, total (%) 3.29 1.03

proteincontent in Goat milk : Casein 71%, Whey protein 22%, non protein Nitrogen 7%

protein in milk and cheese for 100 gram : milk 3.3 gram, sheddar cheese 25 gram, Mozzalella cheese 28 gram

I can not find how many kg. use Goat milk to make cheese 1 kg. but I found between Buffalo milk and Cow milk : 5 kg. Buffalo milk = 1 kg. cheese

and 8 kg. Cow milk = 1kg. cheese (protein of Buffalo milk is 40% higher than protein of Cow milk)

Whey protein :- protein less than 70% use for animalfood production

protein 70-80% use to make icecream (still have more fat)

protein 80-95% make protein powder (Whey protein concentrate)

I hoop it help you to calculate, success

Not quite sure but a friend of mine makes cheese and for every 200lt of raw cows milk he makes 20k of cheddar cheese.We have been looking into the idea of making Ricotta or at least something that can be sold rather than throw away.Does anybody have some good ideas of where to sell it or convert to a saleable product and cost effective.

Hi,

You could simply try to sell it as liquid whey, in healthfoodstores such as Baan Suan Pak (near President Hotel) and Aden (on Nimmanhemin, near Warm Up)

But I would recommend, that if you do that, try to figure out the approximate nutritional value (protein content etc)

(for milk 100 gram)                                        Goat                          Cow

Protein, total (%)                                                3.29                           1.03

proteincontent in Goat milk : Casein 71%, Whey protein 22%, non protein Nitrogen 7%

protein in milk and cheese for 100 gram :   milk   3.3 gram, sheddar cheese 25 gram, Mozzalella cheese 28 gram

I can not find how many kg. use Goat milk to make cheese 1 kg. but I found between Buffalo milk and Cow milk :  5 kg. Buffalo milk = 1 kg. cheese

and 8 kg. Cow milk = 1kg. cheese  (protein of Buffalo milk is 40% higher than protein of Cow milk)

Whey protein :- protein less than 70% use for animalfood production

protein 70-80% use to make icecream (still have more fat)

protein 80-95% make protein powder (Whey protein concentrate)

I hoop it help you to calculate, success

Hi,

You state that goat milk has a protein percentage of 3.29, and cow milk 1.03. That sounds very strange to me. 1 litre of cows milk in norway, is on the packet said to contain about 30 grams of protein. So this must be wrong. But good that you point out that most of the proteincontent in the goat milk is from Casein. That makes sense, and it poses quite a different calculation. I was assuming that most of the protein was in the form of whey, which of course it is not. Do you know if most of the casein is left in the cheese, or if some of is separated together with the whey?

Hi,

You could simply try to sell it as liquid whey, in healthfoodstores such as Baan Suan Pak (near President Hotel) and Aden (on Nimmanhemin, near Warm Up)

But I would recommend, that if you do that, try to figure out the approximate nutritional value (protein content etc)

Thanks for the reply mate.Do you know how much per ltr???

You mean the price you could charge?

The goat Whey is being sold in bottles of 250cc (220ml or so?), for 40 baht pr bottle. I think it is overpriced. Better to sell in bigger bottles, for a more economic price, is my opinion.

hi,

sorry, I write mistake and not complete, this is what I want to say

in 100 gram(cl.) milk this is protein that you get

goat milk 3.56 %

cow milk 3.29 %

human 1.03 %

you are not wrong, in water or milk 1 litre = 1 kilogram, so for cow milk 1 litre have protein 30 gram (it is mean 3% protein, and above is 3.29% not so much different)

and to make cheese 1 kg. you need cow milk 8 kg.

cow milk (100 cl.) sheddar cheese (100 gram) mozzarella cheese (100 gram)

protein 3.3 gram 25 gram 28 gram

"Milk contains about 80 percent casein protein, and 20 percent whey. Under normal conditions, you would never be able to differentiate between the whey and casein in milk visually. It just looks … well … liquid and "milky."However, when you add an acid or enzyme like rennet (which is used in cheese production), the milk will curdle. This literally separates the whey from the casein proteins.

The result is that the whey which is a semi-clear liquid will rise to the top, while the casein (which is heavier and coagulates in the presence of an acid or enzyme) will usually sink to the bottom.

In cheesemaking, the whey is siphoned off from the casein, and the solids are then drained through a cheese cloth, further extracting any residual whey or water and leaving the firm casein solids, which are then shaped into blocks of cheese "

"Cottage cheese is basically milk that has been separated into casein and whey via enzymes. The lumpy curds are the casein and the liquid part is the whey. So in this regard, when you eat cottage cheese you are getting both whey and casein protein " (from wellsphere.com and answerfitness)

Edited by cmbe

Thanks for the reply mate.Do you know how much per ltr???

try to check at Chiang Mai dairy cooperative on Chiangmai-Lampang road, Sarapi or website coothai.com (but in Thai) they sale you fresh milk minimum 3 kg.

what the f&*k has this to do with Chiang Mai I would award it the most obscure topic in this forum ever though :)

my opinion : peace, polite and try to help other people when you can that is a way to live and make qualities better in your mind, and you will understand better when you need some information and got only this answer, nobody know everything if post wrong place the topic will be move to other forum. don't you think so?

Hi cmbe, thanks for the information!

"The result is that the whey — which is a semi-clear liquid — will rise to the top, while the casein (which is heavier and coagulates in the presence of an acid or enzyme) will usually sink to the bottom."

- Actually, in the store, they told me the opposite, in regards to the making of yoghurt (or was it cheese?): that they whey is in the liquid at the bottom, and the cheese/yoghurt is the solid stuff at the top.They showed me a container like that, and said the whey was at the bottom. Maybe they were wrong. 

what the f&*k has this to do with Chiang Mai I would award it the most obscure topic in this forum ever though  :)

The reason I posted this in the CM forum, is because I live here, the product is produced here and sold here, and I thought maybe some one else in this town also buys this product or has interest in it. That's it.

From my perspective, obscure topics makes life richer!

• 3 months later...

You mean the price you could charge?

The goat Whey is being sold in bottles of 250cc (220ml or so?), for 40 baht pr bottle. I think it is overpriced. Better to sell in bigger bottles, for a more economic price, is my opinion.

Hi Andreas

I wonder if you know where I can find Whey Milk in Bangkok. Any suggestions

what the f&*k has this to do with Chiang Mai I would award it the most obscure topic in this forum ever though :)

The reason I posted this in the CM forum, is because I live here, the product is produced here and sold here, and I thought maybe some one else in this town also buys this product or has interest in it. That's it.

From my perspective, obscure topics makes life richer!

I don't think you need to justify your reason's for posting here and I also don't see why anyone should object or be rude to you.

The Chiang Mai forum police must have time on their hands. wink.gif I think this is an interesting topic.

Chiang Mai really isn't the centre of the universe as some people think.