approaching 49 on the 'bounce' - I'll change today as it probably won't last this 'bounce' and will dip next week

I still don't know how to do with my GBP. It might cross the 50 line, but who knows?!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

approaching 49 on the 'bounce' - I'll change today as it probably won't last this 'bounce' and will dip next week

I still don't know how to do with my GBP. It might cross the 50 line, but who knows?!

yes who knows but I am not taking the chance - I think this is a 'blip' and I've converted 20,000 @ 48.7

http://news.bbc.co.u...ss/10450518.stm

Looks like Labour was cooking the books and all is about to be revealed. Sterling will suffer.

The first set of figures showed the economy grew by 0.2% in the first quarter. This was later revised up to 0.3%. Economists are expecting this figure to be unchanged.

Doesn't sound very alarming to me.

They was going to release the final fiqures tommorrow, but have had to postpone for two weeks because of 'potential errors' which is unprecedented.

'The very rare move was caused by concerns over the reliability of some of the figures, the ONS said.'

Edited by neil324

• 2 weeks later...

Much of the anxiety surrounding Sterling's value vs the Baht seems to have dissipated, perhaps folks have become accustomed to the idea of Baht 50 per Pound - I also note a raft of recent Settlement visa applications, not sure if that was as a result of economic uncertainty or political/social unrest. Question is, is circa Baht 50 per Pound the final resting place (for a while) or is this just a lull in the storm, methinks it's the latter although I have no concrete evidence to support that idea. And yes, we also have applied for a Settlement visa for Mrs CM although that is more of an opportunistic move on our part than anything else, UK property could represent good value soon and we want to split our time between two locations.

Anyone with thoughts on GBP/THB, apart from the fact that you don't get enough THB?

Here is a recent forecast for the next eighteen months from the Bank of Scotland

http://www.bankofsco...omic-update.pdf

They reckon on a slow appreciation of the THB to around 46 by the end of 2011. But, as the Ol' Spanner said, forex rates are notoriously difficult.

I would be reasonably happy with these forecasts. Relatively stable, with a slow decline of western currencies against the Asians. What I hate are the massive swings in rates. The major uncertainty is the Euro, and if the ECB and Euro-politicos can't keep confidence levels up, stand by for a major roller-coaster ride.

With regards to UK property, I would hold off for a year or so, there are no signs of a recovery that I can see, the Conlib austerity drive will keep wages subdued and unemployment up. The house prices have not come down to their long term average. The last trade deficit figures were also worse than expected. And at some time the ridiculous and market distorting interest rates have to rise, unless we are in for the Japanese disease, two lost decades and no recovery in property prices, just a sag down to a low level and staying there.

The days of "oh! look my house has gone up by 11%, effectively doubling my salary so I can afford a new car, a villa in Spain and a nice holiday in the Bahamas plus a 3D LED TV" are, hopefully gone forever. Well, at least to the next bubble, if there is any money left in the kitty after the current debts have been repaid....

Edited by 12DrinkMore

...then 70 end of 2011 and 95 end of 2012 :)

Rude Old man, im thinking this is rubbish, or is it your devastatingly witty humour?

Now write something constructive or go away old man, youre boring.

Don't expect to receive a constructive reply from idiot child Naam, in all the years of reading this forum I've never know him to

offer a helpful or constructive comment to anyone. He seems to take immense pleasure from ridiculing posters.

Obviously thinks he's a got a vastly superior intellect and it's below him to be helpful in any way. Also fancies himself

as a something of a comic although in reality he's just a pathetic, incredibly bitter individual.

I try to ignore him and do so most of the time, but there are occasions when I wonder why he's still allowed by the mods to

use these boards and feel moved to pass a comment.

I doubt he has many friends on TV.

it goes without saying that people like me, who expose wet dreams and ridiculous, based on wishful thinking forecasts, are called idiots or awarded other derogatory names. it's the fate of those who are not dreamers but can think logically, are therefore successful and... envied.

B)

it goes without saying that people like me, who expose wet dreams and ridiculous, based on wishful thinking forecasts, are called idiots or awarded other derogatory names. it's the fate of those who are not dreamers but can think logically, are therefore successful and... envied.

B)

"A bove maiore discit arare minor", (followed by the thumbs up smiley which has eludes me presently).

Edited by chiang mai

Here is a recent forecast for the next eighteen months from the Bank of Scotland

http://www.bankofsco...omic-update.pdf

They reckon on a slow appreciation of the THB to around 46 by the end of 2011. But, as the Ol' Spanner said, forex rates are notoriously difficult.

I would be reasonably happy with these forecasts. Relatively stable, with a slow decline of western currencies against the Asians. What I hate are the massive swings in rates. The major uncertainty is the Euro, and if the ECB and Euro-politicos can't keep confidence levels up, stand by for a major roller-coaster ride.

With regards to UK property, I would hold off for a year or so, there are no signs of a recovery that I can see, the Conlib austerity drive will keep wages subdued and unemployment up. The house prices have not come down to their long term average. The last trade deficit figures were also worse than expected. And at some time the ridiculous and market distorting interest rates have to rise, unless we are in for the Japanese disease, two lost decades and no recovery in property prices, just a sag down to a low level and staying there.

The days of "oh! look my house has gone up by 11%, effectively doubling my salary so I can afford a new car, a villa in Spain and a nice holiday in the Bahamas plus a 3D LED TV" are, hopefully gone forever. Well, at least to the next bubble, if there is any money left in the kitty after the current debts have been repaid....

Thanks for the BOS report, it largely mirrors what other have projected but is useful anyway.

I've never been one to buy property as an investment, only as a home, and the same holds true today. I really don't care if prices fall by thirty per cent because within ten years or so, prices will have recovered and during that time I will have lived in a home that I own - and if prices don't recover, that will be an issue for my estate and not one that I'll have to worry about.