I've Sent My Passport To Malaysia And I Worry

Hi everybody,

First of all please forgive my poor English, as it isn't my native language I'll do my best to be as clear as possible.

For the second year in a row, I've a non-immigrant B visa.

Next month I will have to go to Myanmar to get my passport stamped ( as every 90 days ).

Reading all the stories about fake stamps and farang being arrested and blacklisted really worries me now because one and a half year ago, I let a travell agency send my passport to Padang Besar Malaysia, I sincerely believed that it was legal.

The date of the entry and departing on the Malaysian stamps are both crossed out ( the stamps says 15 March but the "5" has been changed into a "6" with a black pen ).

Since March 2002 I've crossed several times the Thai border and got new stamps without any problem.

But since the immigration officers check more conscientiously the passports, I'd like to know if there is any risk that they discover that my passport has been sent.

And which could be the risks for me, considering that I did it only once, guessing it was legal, one and a half year ago.

Is there anything I should do ?

Report my mistake to the immigration with sincere apologies ?

Or shouldn't I worry too much ?

Hi Ketje,

With regard to your passport at Padang Besar, Malaysia,

I think you may have a serious problem if do intend to visit Malaysia later on.

The Malaysian Immigration are very strict and follow the rules to the book.

Their Hi-Tech computers are "on-line" to all border check points and to all

government agencies. There is no such word as "visa run" without seeing you

physically there. All movement of passports (in and out) will be recorded in

the "on-line" computers. They keep track on you. Finally, never, never give

your passport to a third person for whatever reasons. Do it yourself.

Choke di nah, krap. Mai mee pan har. Good luck.

:o

Thanks for your answer Fox.

Fortunately I'm not planning to go to Malaysia, I'm living in Nothern Thailand and will always get my passport stamped in Mae Sai ( Tachilek ).

But I'm really worrying because of that mistake made last year.

Being blacklisted here would be a disaster for me; as many of us I feel at home in Thailand, I've left my home country without any regret and established myself here in the respect of Thai laws, culture an traditions.

I've no more family in Europe, no more work, no more house; my life is here with my thai girlfriend ( we live already 9 years togheter and her family is becoming mine ), my new friends, the new business I'm developping, ....

Hi Ketje,

Glad to hear from you so soon.

I am also glad to know that you are getting on well.

You can still visit Malaysia, but not now. Maybe

after five years, when you apply for a new passport.

By the way, what is your nationality and your present job ?

Warm regards to you and your girlfriend.

Choke di nah, krap. Mai mee pan har.

Of course, losing the passport would solve the problem but I don't want to go to that point ... unless it would be the only solution.

Once again, I want to conform myself to Thai laws and avoid doing anything illegal, on the other hand I don't want to pay the high price for a stupid mistake made because of my former ignorance of those laws.

And if I really had to "loose" it, shall I easily be able to renew my non-B visa which was issued only 2 month ago ? or shall have to go abroad to apply for a new one in a Thai Embassy ?

Hi Ketje once again,

No need to do anything with your present passport.

I forgot to say that ...... after the expiry date of your passport.

you can get a new one. " Five years, ten years, I wouldn't know about

Thai passport. In Malaysia, the passport must be changed for a new one

every five years. My advise is keep your passport until it expires. Then you will

be able to get a brand new one. Malaysian passport is only valid for five years.....

effective from the date of issue. After that, they must apply for a new one.

Can any tell me about Thai passports ? Thanks.

Regards,

Fox

:o

Hi Ketje once again,

No need to do anything with your present passport.

I forgot to say that ...... after the expiry date of your passport.

you can get a new one. " Five years, ten years, I wouldn't know about

Thai passport. In Malaysia, the passport must be changed for a new one

every five years. My advise is keep your passport until it expires. Then you will

be able to get a brand new one. Malaysian passport is only valid for five years.....

effective from the date of issue. After that, they must apply for a new one.

Can any tell me about Thai passports ? Thanks.

Regards,

Fox

I wonder how many people here are drunk! Or have I misunderstood something?

Anyway, Ketje, wait for the reply of Dr PP.

Wish you all the best!

Thank you meemiathai.

Indeed I don't care about going to Malaysia, I just wonder - as I've already written - if the immigration could figure out that I've sent my passport abroad and which are the risks for me and my future in the country.

If anybody could advise me, I would highly appreciate.

well, with all what I read here, the only fast and efficient solution might be to wash your jeans with you passport in a pocket that by a piece of badluck you forgot there ... B)

or wait for Songkhlan festival and go play outside ... preferably in Chiang Mai and keep your passport on you at all time ... it does wash it good B)

happens to me a few years ago, obliged to come back from immigration office just one day before Sonkhlan festival ... got really wet .. most of the stamps were bluur, could do the trick, and with a lot of fun :o

don't wash it too toughly though, keep it in a somewhat passport shape :D

Thanks lopburi3, Georges's post was clear enough to get over my apprehensions.

francois, yes this should be the last option, I'm unfortunately not in position to waste 11.000 THB ( PP 6.000 THB + Visa 5.000 THB ) + a trip to my Embassy in Bkk unless there's nothing else to do.

tomy your comments are always very constructive, I've learned a lot from this one :o

Well it seems that I won't get that much help anymore.

So I will take my chance ... and let's see what happen.

I'll got next week to Mae Sot and if I get caught, I'll tell the truth : I really tought it was legal and didn't intend to break the laws.

Sincere thanks to all of you who gave me their opinion.

PS : meemiathai, thanks for all your efforts but I'm afraid Dr PP ( or any other member ) has no answer for me.

Well it seems that I won't get that much help anymore.

So I will take my chance ... and let's see what happen.

I'll got next week to Mae Sot and if I get caught, I'll tell the truth : I really tought it was legal and didn't intend to break the laws.

Dont get sarcastic at Tomy just because you want to be a cheapscate

Take a chance and worry yourself to death or "waste" a little money and get a clean passport ? No choice. GET A NEW PASSPORT.

Anyway, you dont pay for a new visa, you just go down to immigration and get it transferred from your old passport to your new one.

Another reason for getting a new passport now is that the fees are going up again next year I think to pay for new high tech features, so not only will you be saving a lot of worry, you will be saving money.

Well, bluebear, I've learned something : I don't need to apply for a new visa.

Can the immigration in Chiang Mai ( closer to where I live than BKK ), transfer the visa to my new passport ?

Thanks for kicking my ass; for all the reasons you gave me, I think I will follow your advise.

PS : I don't understand the word "cheapscate" ... but I'm not sure I want to know :o

Yeap, that's what I thought.

Just asking if I can avoid to spend 20.000 THB ( flight to bkk, hotel, new passport, ... ) and to miss 2-3 days of work.

But that's not the main purpose of my posts, I still don't know which are the risks and penalties if my mistake could be discovered.

As a newbie, I simply came here expecting some help and/or constructive advises.