3 Metre Usb Cable Needed

tlcwaterfall

Just wondering if I can buy a 3 metre USB cable.

I am using a laptop and want to move/delete files etc. on my media player which is approx. 3 metres away.

So if I could get a long USB cable this would make life easier for me. It is time consuming and messy to be moving either the laptop or media player closer to each other.biggrin.gif

Any useful help is much appreciated. Any other ways to connect the two devices?

Thank you.

I bought a 5mtr USB cable at our local computer shop last year, but had to order it in advance since they didn't have it in stock.

They also have USB extension cables of 1-3 mtr length.

So, yes they are available, just look around.

opalhort

As mentioned, be sure to get the braided shielded style for that distance for data transfer. At least in Chiangmai we have been able to get 3 and 5 meter shielded USB cable both extension type (standard USB-USB) and standard USB to mini USB connectors.

I bought a new Buffalo 500Gb external hard drive and it came with a very short (40cm) cable which was too short to sit the unit on my desk so I plugged in a 2m unshielded one.

I started transferring a lot of movies and the process was very slow and it eventually failed.

I reckon it was due to the cable not being shielded as stated above so I have gone back to the original cable and will buy a longer shielded one.

Good info,thanks.

If yopu are using a long USB cable it would probably pay to have the USB cable go through a powered hub.

As far as I know if you connect computer to computer with USB cable you need a special type USB cable as I have seen warnings about it.

Edited by newcomer01