Boiled Eggs

woralak

Hi to all,I like my boiled eggs in the morning but me and the missus never seem to get a good result,so what is the knack to a good old (boiled egg),our eggs turn out so ugly,we loose half the white as it sticks to the shell,sometimes they crack in the pan while being boiled and the yoke is never in the middle where it should be.

It would be great if someone would explain this dilema,then i could suprise (er indoors) with the perfect egg.

Thanks for the help. :)

Really fresh eggs.. And not out the fridge let them be room temp, should help with the cracking.

Timing is vital.. 4.5 min on a simmer for me, Dont like uncooked whites.

Same as me:

Uncooked whites make me sick :)

When I cook them for breakfast: Room temperature, boil for 4 minutes, after cooking "shock" them with cold water.

Gerd

I bring them to the boil in cold water, simmer for 7-8 minutes, (unless I forget), then straight into cold water for a few minutes until cool enough to handle.

The shells come off easily, regardless of the age of the egg.

Did you know the age of an egg is tested commercially by a special thingy that measures the height of the white when the egg is cracked onto a flat surface? The lower the white,the older the egg. :)

Recently I bought a gadget to boil my egg in the microwave. It is called Breakfast egg and consists of an alluminium lined plastic with a screw top.

Should be able to get them in a department store. My boiled eggs are now exactly like i want them.

When boiling an egg you have to look at the size of the egg. When storing the eggs in the fridge, rotate them every couple of days so the top goes to the bottom etc. This way the yoke stays where it is.

egglover

I bring them to the boil in cold water, simmer for 7-8 minutes, (unless I forget), then straight into cold water for a few minutes until cool enough to handle.

The shells come off easily, regardless of the age of the egg.

Did you know the age of an egg is tested commercially by a special thingy that measures the height of the white when the egg is cracked onto a flat surface? The lower the white,the older the egg. :)

Even if the eggs are kept outside of the refrigerator - bringing them to the boil in cold water will reduce the chance of them cracking. A variation on the above theme is:

Once the water has started to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for one minute. Then cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave for 4-6 minutes depending how you like your eggs. Once cooked, immdediately place them in cold water to prevent further cooking.

I was hoping to read of a solution to the OP's problem but did not see any.

Sounds like you guys are being "under the illusion" of our wives like I had been until I retired and started to cook for myself and my family (missus included.)

Most, if not all, of the "modern wives" today are what I call armchair cooks...of the Martha Stewart kind! What they know is what they saw on TV! Really!

"How to get hard-boiled eggs without the shell sticking onto the eggs when peeling?"

Easy. Use common sense.

Take the egg(s) from the fridge or the freezer (who cares), place it(them) in the water (room temperature or hot - who cares) and bring it(them) to the boil and hold for 10 minutes. (Key words: let them boil for 10 minutes.)

Quickly drain the boiling water, and fill the container with cold running water. Leave the boiled eggs under running cold water for 10 minutes minimum. Allow to "solidify" for 10 minutes.

Crack and peel the eggs which will come off clean. (My wife used to "explain" that the eggs have to be fresh to come clean, and other reasons she saw on TV. She could never come clean with the eggs.)

We now do not discuss about clean peeled eggs.!

Please forgive if you consider this a hijack. I like boiled eggs also, but takes too long.

I poach them in the microwave. Takes 1 minute (adjust for your tastes),

Very small bowl, rounded bottom

spray with cooking spray

crack 1 egg in each

Add about 2 tsp water

poke yolk with toothpick

cover and cook on medium high for 1 minute

pour out water and slide egg onto plate.

G,day All,

Just for your inforamaion, To check to see if an egg is fresh or not? place it in a cup of cold/room temperature water. If fresh egg will sit on bottom of the cup. Slightly not fresh the egg will rise slightly. If the egg is OFF it will riose to the top of the cup

Hope this helps,

lesdunbar

If you can find rare breed hens high protein diet free range unfertilized and within 7 days point of lay taste is far superior to shop bought.

As before place in cold water bring to the boil 3.5 to 4 mins soft boiled or 7-8 mins hard boiled. If hard boiled run under cold water. Easy!

Edited by smokie36

Please forgive if you consider this a hijack. I like boiled eggs also, but takes too long.

I poach them in the microwave. Takes 1 minute (adjust for your tastes),

Very small bowl, rounded bottom

spray with cooking spray

crack 1 egg in each

Add about 2 tsp water

poke yolk with toothpick

cover and cook on medium high for 1 minute

pour out water and slide egg onto plate.

Hi Oldgeezer,

I tried your method this morning, following your instructions. At 1 minute - medium high, the white had not set.

I put the bowl back in for a further minute. Both the white and yolk had set. Edible but I prefer my yolk runny,

How do your eggs come out with this method?