Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

webfact

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

Wow ! you are really trolling for some nasty comment aren't you. Have a good day my friend.

I agree. This whole concept is dumb.

Tuk tuk drivers taking all this from the Phuket economy. Someone in the Thai government should tell them to get the hel_l back in town and take some reasonably priced fares around town.

Sometimes greed has no limits.

I have got to agree with some of the other comments. Let the US Navy restock in Malaysia, and have them spell out in no uncertain terms exactly why.

This whole idea of not causing anyone to "lose face" just commits the Thai people to another generation or two of poverty. Get with the world program! Listen to and accept criticism as a way of bettering yourself.

Probably won't happen though.

Oh well, I guess that is why it is fairly cheap to live here. If they did things smart we would be walking among a bunch of rich Thais and we'd be looking for some other place to live on the cheap.

Edited by kennalder

Seems like there is nothing that can be done to keep the Mafia out of every aspect of life in Thailand. From politics to now tuk tuks everyone wants a cut.

And to read that Thailand is supposedly growing at 4% this year, no mortgage defaults etc etc.

So, 2 or 3000 young Americans will go home soon enough and tell their friends and family that Thailand is a <deleted> up. And to think that the local government actually did a deal to get them to come. Of course, no one will want to know who runs the tuktuk mafia, or how much the paid to get the deal, or why the drivers are so desperate that they will carry out this idiotic protest.

I once asked someone if he could remember the last time he noticed that something was actually better than 10 years ago in this country. From the traffic in Sukhumvit, to the holes in the roads in Isaan, nothing is getting better from a day to day basis. I love this country to bits, but I really fear that it is slowly disappearing up its own backside.

I read the other day that since 1999, the corporate profits of the major corporations in the country have risen 300% but the average wage has actually gone down 2.5%. And people wonder why tuktuk drivers are fighting for a living. Of course, the benefits of their work aren't really theirs since some gilded crook hires the tuktuks out and sits in his gilded mansion without a care in the world.

Cmon Abhisit, double the minimum wage tomorrow and ban any company in Thailand from hiring another Cambodian or Burmese. Maybe this will give people something productive to do instead of hassling the US Navy (I can't believe I just wrote "hassling the US Navy") and get on with their lives.

move on. visit some developed country. problem solved.

Developed countries don't offer the same "recreation" at the same price...

No, no. This poster is right. If you don't like being bullied and munipulated on holiday, don't go to Phuket. Go to the south of France. Such a simple concept. Only one problem, though. Thailand advertises itself as a top holiday destination and even has the moto 'Amazing Thailand, amazing value'

Phuket obviosuly doesn't need tourists so let them all leave and never come back. Never complain in Thailand.

Those who say why should ships come to Phuket for R/R, ships from most navies stay in most countries, it is called a goodwill visit, and even in developed countires they try to do some good whilst they are there, as well as get drunk, get shagged etc.

Only in Thailand can it become a line of ATM,s and a tuk tuk blockade.

The crap about no money doesn't wash, if you want more income give a good service.

Phuket needs to wake up and realise the world does not owe them a living. They have to earn it like everyone else.

The presumption and arrogance of the tuk tuk drivers is second only to the connivance of the Phuket police and Administration.

Like I've said on another post: police and justice system are without hope.

I have to agree. If I was charged with cleaning up the corruption and lawlessness in this country, I would have no idea where to start. When you see a policeman riding the wrong way on a street or on a footpath and with no helmet...there is no starting point.

Those who say why should ships come to Phuket for R/R, ships from most navies stay in most countries, it is called a goodwill visit, and even in developed countires they try to do some good whilst they are there, as well as get drunk, get shagged etc.

Only in Thailand can it become a line of ATM,s and a tuk tuk blockade.

The crap about no money doesn't wash, if you want more income give a good service.

Phuket needs to wake up and realise the world does not owe them a living. They have to earn it like everyone else.

Not just Phuket, all of Thailand. Well said all the same.

haha, so funny to read the same comments about the HKT tuktuk mafia year after year, with nothing changing....

And so amusing to see the TTs blockading the USN...maybe the US troops in iraq and afghanistan can take some lessons from those three-wheeled thieves...

BTW, i've read alot about the community service work that the USN does while on R&R -- homes for habitat kind of stuff

I've seen the USN ships arrive in Pattaya, too, and they seem to get a much better welcome....

RIP Phuket

They are four wheeled Dihatsu mini trucks here, with no power to climb the hills. Way too many of them, in some areas! We have a very few around where I live. But I hate getting stuck behind one on the road around the island. They should be outlawed! Like that will ever happen! Another fine job by the local Thai police and government! The word inept comes to mind...

Ah yes, Pattaya is such a wonderful place, not! But their song tao system should be considered here!

Its a pitty the Navy Guys have to be so nice and well behaved. Somethimes it would be good if they could use there training and smash some Heads.

But the Navy would be better off in Pattaya anyway.

yes, I for one would like to see the jet ski thugs get what coming to them.

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

And I hope if the Thai navy ever visit the coast of the States they recieve the same treatment. But of course they won't because that is not how developed countries welcome guests.

Tourists don't have to use the tuk tuks. It's up to them how they get from A to B.

Where did these people get that feeling of self-entitlement to tourists money? it's a dangerous game when you look at tourists like they're second class citizens.

I good thought, but in reality, the thai navy guys could not even afford to by lunch in the states

Many Thais have already lost their jobs and livelihood this won't solve the problem, the problem is that Phuket and Chiang Mai have powerful people in charge of the Tuk-Tuks and it will take time to change the system. It will take a strong Prime Minister who is not afraid of the consequences

I've even heard it suggested that members of the police force are often the owners of the tuk tuks. The drivers have to pay a daily rate to the owner and after that hope to make a profit.

I have no way of knowing if this is true. If it were true, think of the conflict of interest to send the police to remove the blockade. It's not too hard to imagine why there is no public transport in Phuket.

MONEY MONEY MONEY

Cmon Abhisit, double the minimum wage tomorrow and ban any company in Thailand from hiring another Cambodian or Burmese.

More chance of finding rocking horse crap.

Political leaders are lobbyists.

Most of the time they work in favour of the companies - who are their fellow shareholders, fellow members of the same old boys clubs etc.

He wouldn't be at the helm if he was a threat to business interests.

Same in the US, UK etc etc.

But the problem is now many farang don't want to come to Thailand because of people like Rucharee

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

What? At least he was a Navy officer! Reagan was the president of The Screen Actors Guild. And a big part of the McCarthy campaign blacklisting people in the entertainment industry for being "communist." He was a 'B' movie star, costarring with a chimp named Bonzo! His military background reminds me of George W. Bush, who "served." Reagan and I quote: "Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his nearsightedness, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas."

Dear Khun Rucharee,

For long term Farang over here, we already do drive our own cars, many already have imported their long term girl friends from the Philippines(I am the last to still have a Thai wife), and already do drink their own beers at each other’s house bars instead of travelling in rip off taxis to rip off bars to be scowled at by ignorant bar service staff.:)

The only thing that kept many Farang from actually moving to the P.I.'s was the perceived safety benefits of Thailand - I guess many Farang Bangkok residents will be reconsidering the perceived safety benefits after recent events.:D

The key point here, is Farang perfectly understand the difference between patriotism and price gouging or rip-offs. No one minds contributing to the local economy, and most begrudgingly understand or tolerate the racial prejudice of the two tier Thai/Farang price structure as a kind of patriotism - BUT Farang hate price gouging and rip-offs of any sort - 2,000Baht for a taxi on this route is a rip-off.

The inability of the local police to really control what goes on around the pier roads shows who is really in control there - the taxi mafia is... not the police or local government. As long as everyone understands this, that is fine :D

Good Idea I fully agree.

Cmon Abhisit, double the minimum wage tomorrow and ban any company in Thailand from hiring another Cambodian or Burmese.

More chance of finding rocking horse crap.

Political leaders are lobbyists.

Most of the time they work in favour of the companies - who are their fellow shareholders, fellow members of the same old boys clubs etc.

He wouldn't be at the helm if he was a threat to business interests.

Same in the US, UK etc etc.

But that presumes they can get rid of him. The consequences of which would lead probably to a certain Mr. T landing in SVB 15 minutes later.

Abhisit is actually in a relatively strong position when it comes to business. And they daren't support him too much in case Thaksin comes back and they are found to have backed the wrong horse. Don't you love how politics around the world is so similar. It seems Eton and Westminster colleges have a monopoly on underfire right wing governments with dodgy coalitions.

For 2000 baht i can get:

- a taxi drive from Bangkok airport to Trat, a 3 hours drive (240 km) or

-R/T flight with Airasia BKK-Chiang Mai or

- rent a car for 2 days.......

With all scams( jetski,tuktuk,motorbike) arround,maybe in the future the US marines gonna have theyr R&R back in the Philipinnes.

Details of what transpired last night have yet to be fully confirmed, but sources told the Gazette this morning that the blockade lasted several hours and was only broken up around midnight following negotiations between the drivers and police, local government and military negotiators.

What a hoot... A few (many?) rogue drivers can be powerful enough to require multiparty negotiations? Navies -what ever the nation- spend considerable sums resupplying and of course the sailors can drop some serious cash as well. When will the US Navy wake up and simply resupply in Singapore? They have girls and beer there too :)

Many Thais have already lost their jobs and livelihood this won't solve the problem, the problem is that Phuket and Chiang Mai have powerful people in charge of the Tuk-Tuks and it will take time to change the system. It will take a strong Prime Minister who is not afraid of the consequences

I've even heard it suggested that members of the police force are often the owners of the tuk tuks. The drivers have to pay a daily rate to the owner and after that hope to make a profit.

I have no way of knowing if this is true. If it were true, think of the conflict of interest to send the police to remove the blockade. It's not too hard to imagine why there is no public transport in Phuket.

MONEY MONEY MONEY

I'll take it one step further. Many police own tuk tuks and when they arrest someone, they give them a choice of prison or work for me driving a tuk tuk. Kind of like slavery, one could say. As another person I've know here for years said to me, the only mafia here is the police, they run the tuk tuks and most everything illegal and corrupt. I have a story or two of my own... Also it's a high buy in for the policeman to be stationed in Phuket. So, how is ever going to change? When they get hit where it hurts, their wallets! The US Navy should boycott Phuket! Send a clear message to the Thai Government!

As long as the local Pu Yais send the votes to Bangkok at election time, the governement gives them free hand in such matters. So maybe the solution lies in a red governement with balls big enough (Chalerm springs to mind laugh.gif) to reign into the local fiefdoms.

Just trying to be constructive whistling.gif.

Grabbing the coat and outa here for good.

Next time, why not engage your brain before opening your mouth.

Certainly....if you want to have a murderer in charge.

As long as the local Pu Yais send the votes to Bangkok at election time, the governement gives them free hand in such matters. So maybe the solution lies in a red governement with balls big enough (Chalerm springs to mind laugh.gif) to reign into the local fiefdoms.

What a thought.

The only way to get the local police mafia in line, is to send the biggest mafioso of them all to stop them gouging too much. Only in Thailand, but you know, it might actually work.

Chairat Khumban, secretary of Wichit Mayor Kreetar Saetan, said the blockade was ended after the drivers agreed with military, police and Wichit Municipality negotiators to go back to an old agreement allowing the local taxis access to low-ranking US military personnel while only officers could take advantage of the free van service provided by an outside contractor.

How many of these taxi drivers profess to be red shirts whose main target of hate is the elite? So, they let the well-paid go for free and the working class pay.

This country is dying, slowly and in agony.

"Thailand's epitaph will be greed". Said by a well known monk.