3G Goodbye Welcome 3.9G Coming... Someday

livinthailandos

To be honest I'm surprised nobody posted this.

NTC said the government plans to hold an auction to issue three licenses for what he termed “3.9G” services by September. The planned new licenses comprise slots of 15MHz bandwidth, which will be valid for 15 years. Advanced Info Service (AIS), Total Access Communication (DTAC), and True Move - have all expressed an interest in participating in the auction. It is thought that the new spectrum will enable the operators to deploy LTE and other next-generation mobile technologies. Delays in the original 3G auction process has made Thailand one of the last countries in Southeast Asia to migrate to high-speed mobile services. No surprises here, also it appears laos and cambodia already have 3G.

If you want to see further google any of the following searches:

1. Thailand to skip issuing 3G licenses

2. Mixed Response to 3.9G among operators

Please note the bold line is mentioned on other websites I read

Regulator plans to award 3G licences in September

anyone out there wish to input their thoughts on this ever lasting, never resolving issue.

Well they are right, no point to go for normal WCDMA (3G) networks anymore. Just use the frequencies and go direct to LTE. Long Term Evolution aka LTE is 4th Generation (4G) technology. Although the 4G standards are not yet fully finalized they will be soon.

I just doubt it, they haven't been able to issue licences for 2100 MHz in past 10 years so i fail to see how they could get them out now in three months time. But let's see if 2010 really is the year they can agree how the bribes and money are split.

How can we say goodbye to 3G when it actually hasn't arrived/been officially implemented in Thailand. Guess the 3G train went by so fast for government officials, they decided to try to get a ticket on the 3.9G train coming down the tracks. TIT.

I saw a similar article in the Bangkok Post quoting the AIS CEO - he said the spectrum being offered by the government isn't actually enough to provide real-world 3.9G service. He also said that 90% of existing handsets won't be able to use it.