Epsom Tx111

David006

...before I go destroying a cartridge..has anyone opened up a so called "non refillable" cartridge to ascertain if drilling a hole would enable same...suspect its a bladder but..? A new set of true Epsom cartridges cost more than a new bloody printer!!

Yes I have installed aftermarket product but they are less than satisfactory with gaps and lines and blurs ..head cleaning don't help

Thanks in advance

There really is no substitute for original cartridges.

In older types of inkjet printers you could get away with re-fills but I have found that todays printers are somewhat more intelligent. My Cannon MP250 refuses to work correctly when re-fills are inserted but as soon as original cartridges are inserted printing is no problem. :)

The printer manufacturers make money on selling ink, not on selling the printers! The printers are throwaways.

If you have "gaps and lines and blurs", the heads have dried up and gotten clogged. Usually head cleaning with the software won't help. Sometimes a technician can clean them by flushing alcohol through the heads. Many times not. Depends on how long they have been clogged. New print heads are more expensive than buying a new printer.

On new printers, you can't just put ink in an original cartridge. It has to be reprogrammed to indicate that it's full. Shops that refill cartridges have a device that does this (except for HP cartridges). This can only be done a few times (my experience about 3 times). Then you have to replace the cartridge.

Original cartridges do not hold much ink. Usually after cleaning the heads a few times, they are empty.

As person who has boughten many printers because the heads have gotten dried and clogged (about every three months). I've learned the print heads dry out very easily in Thailand because of the heat. I've also learned this:

1. Buy an Epson printer (the heads don't dry out so easily). The after-market ink cartridges work very well with all the Epson printers. The key is to buy good quality ink made specifically for your brand of printer.

2. When you buy the printer, have ink tanks installed the printer. You can easily see when the ink is getting low and they are very easy to refill. Have this done by a technician who is qualified. Many times I have seen a poor installation where the feed line comes lose and the print head jams. Or they get ink all over the carriage causing steaks. If you are in Pattaya, I have found the technician at Power Print (TukCom, 3rd floor next to the escalator) does an excellent job.

3. Turn off the printer when not in use. Only turn on the printer when you need to use it. Then turn it off immediately when finished.

4. Turn off the printer, using the switch on the printer only! This parks the heads so they don't dry out. Do not use a power strip to turn it off!

5. If for some reason power was interrupted to the printer before the printer was properly turned off and the heads parked, immediately turn the printer on when the power is restored. Then turn it off with the power switch, to park the heads.

6. Print something using all the colors at least once a week to keep the heads from drying out. Alternately you could clean the heads, but that uses a lot of ink!

By following the steps above, I now have been using my Epson T11 printer for over 2 years, with no print head problems. The print quality is just as good as the day I bought it!

If you want to use original cartridges and support the printer manufactures, then plan on buying a new printer every three months or when the cartridges become empty.

You may consider buying a laser printer, which would ultimately be cheaper, faster, and more reliable. However, they are susceptible to dust problems. You have to keep them clean and cover them when not in use.

Up to you!

2. When you buy the printer, have ink tanks installed the printer. You can easily see when the ink is getting low and they are very easy to refill. Have this done by a technician who is qualified. Many times I have seen a poor installation where the feed line comes lose and the print head jams. Or they get ink all over the carriage causing steaks. If you are in Pattaya, I have found the technician at Power Print (TukCom, 3rd floor next to the escalator) does an excellent job.

I agree with getting ink tanks they are about 700 - 900 baht fitted. I have used them for a couple of years in a epsom photo r220 with a six colour tank, still prints as good as new.

...before I go destroying a cartridge..has anyone opened up a so called "non refillable" cartridge to ascertain if drilling a hole would enable same...suspect its a bladder but..? A new set of true Epsom cartridges cost more than a new bloody printer!!

Yes I have installed aftermarket product but they are less than satisfactory with gaps and lines and blurs ..head cleaning don't help

Thanks in advance

I had very similar feelings. I went to Pantip Plaza - 3rd floor near the elevator and had my printer modified. The woman installed external ink ? tanks (not sure what they are called). I'm glad I did and the ink lasts a long time. Also I can buy refills for each color for a/b Bt120.

I'm really glad I took this approach.

Cheers,

Keoki

When you are looking at buying a printer with ink tanks, try to make sure that you get a properly made unit.

Some will have just the tanks and tubes, which you then fit into the original cartridge by drilling some holes.

These cartridges are designed for a single use and after time you will need to replace them, at high cost.

Also the lack of a strong seal between the tubes and drilled hole causes ink flow issues.

The best systems are where the ink tanks come with specially made cartridges attached.

They seal well and are designed not to wear out.

• 4 weeks later...

When you are looking at buying a printer with ink tanks, try to make sure that you get a properly made unit.

Some will have just the tanks and tubes, which you then fit into the original cartridge by drilling some holes.

These cartridges are designed for a single use and after time you will need to replace them, at high cost.

Also the lack of a strong seal between the tubes and drilled hole causes ink flow issues.

The best systems are where the ink tanks come with specially made cartridges attached.

They seal well and are designed not to wear out.

Very true! Also the tanks that have the specially made cartridges attached, also have a chip to auto reset the printer settings. To inform the printer the cartridges are full. If not, the printer still tells you the ink is empty, when it is not.