Help On Visa

i am a uk citizen who will be going to thailand in the next few weeks i along with my wife will be going via india (where we will be meeting our thai friend) on to thailand.we will want to stay there for a minimum of one year.two questions first will i have to apply for a visa in my home country and two is it possible to stay for that length of time on an o type visa this seems to be the one that fits what i want as we will be staying with our thai friends family

Apply by post to the Thai Consulate in Hull for a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa. This will give you up to 15 months but would need you to exit/enter Thailand every 90 days.

After that you can get Visas in Asia for any remaining time.

You do not say what Nationality your Wife is. If Thai it will give you more options.

Hull Consulate.

Thanks for the answer my wife is also a uk citizen we leave the uk on 30 june going to india our passports are as i write this at the indian embassy for our indian visas when we get them back it should leave enough time to go to the thai embassy in hull and apply for the visas.Just like to say this is a very good site i am a member of india mike which is like this but covers all things in india.After spending the last 16 years in india we now feel its time for a change of scenery we want to thailand last year and fell in love with it.Hopefully with the help of our thai friend who we have known for the last 7 years we will enjoy thailand for the next 16 years.Thanks again for your help

You can apply to Hull by post and get your Passport back within a few days.

You will be applying for the reason of visiting friends.

You may need a note from your Thai friend asking them to issue you the Visa together with a copy of their I.D Card.

This has not been needed in the past but there have been reports of them tightening up a little.

Why not give them a ring and ask.

I think i am leaving it very late to get the visa our friend is in india now and we are in uk i will have to contact her and see if she can email me a copy of her id card i will speak to embassy and see what they advise are they helpful? indian embassies we have found in the past are not i hope thai embassies are this will be my first dealings with them.

Thanks again for your help.

You caa download the application forms from teh Hull consulate. There is also an extra form for applying based on visiting friends. A letter and copy of ID-card from a friend is not necesarry, providing their name and address on the application paper will do.

It is possible to obtain a single entry O visa from hull as already explained and if you have the right amount of money in a thai bank or income confirmed by uk embassy if and you are over 50 you can obtain a one year in extension in thailand for both you and your wife so you don't have to leave thailand at all which is cool if you don'yt want to leave every 3 months do you and I share the same typewriter because mine comes without punctuation marks and caps

Thank you everyone for all your help will keep you posted what the outcome is.We are going to the Songklha area of Thailand never been to that part so really looking forward to it.Anyone have any information on that area?