14,000 Mega Pixels

neverdie

Of course I can't change the topic title, but thats 14,000 million pixels, yes/no?

SCIENTISTS in Hawaii are using what is believed to be the world's largest digital camera to search for killer asteroids.

US telescope hunt for killer asteroids as scientists build massive digital camera | News.com.au

I wonder how large this camera really is? :)

Edited by neverdie

I wonder how large this camera really is?

Slightly bigger then a full frame sensor. :)

How big are the CCD cameras?

The four PanSTARRS cameras will each be the largest digital cameras ever built. Each camera will have about 1.4 billion pixels spread over an area about 40 centimeters square. For comparison, a typical domestic digital camera contains about 5 million pixels on a chip a few millimeters across.

How many CCDs are there in the focal plane?

The focal plane of each camera contains an almost complete 64 x 64 array of CCD devices, each containing approximately 600 x 600 pixels, for a total of about 1.4 gigapixels. The CCDs themselves employ the innovative technology called "orthogonal transfer", which is described below.

The individual CCD cells are grouped in 8 x 8 arrays on a single silicon chip called an orthogonal transfer array (OTA) , which measures about 5 cm square. There are a total of 60 OTAs in the focal plane of each telescope (The four corner OTAs are omitted because they are too far from the opic axis of the telescope to collect useful data)

The first Gigapixel camera was shipped to Haleakala in August 2007 and successfully mounted on the PS1 telescope.

Source

Hey ND, are you thinking of buying one?? :)

Yeah, the misses reakons I've got 'Hugh Jass', whatever that means but she has said she needs a bigger camera for shooting fotos of me. Do you think she's being cheeky? :D

Hey ND, are you thinking of buying one?? :)

Yeah, the misses reakons I've got 'Hugh Jass', whatever that means but she has said she needs a bigger camera for shooting fotos of me. Do you think she's being cheeky? :D

No. You're the one that is "cheeky". That is why she needs a bigger camera with a wider lens:lol: .

Yeah, the misses reakons I've got 'Hugh Jass', whatever that means but she has said she needs a bigger camera for shooting fotos of me. Do you think she's being cheeky? :)

Just remember, it's not the camera but the lens.

Sigma-200-500.jpg

200-500 f/2.8

Alright, sometimes it's the camera. :D

polaroid20x24.jpg

Polaroid 20x24'' Camera

Good reply, Tywais. Could you imagine trying to carry that big Sigma lens? Not something you just stuff in you back pack. The tripod to go with it will weigh a ton as well. It reminds me of those old cameras and tripods the photographers needed in the 1860s.