How Can Thai Invest In Us Stocks & Etf'S?

It looks like it's not too hard for Thai people to buy stocks through a number of places, including with their bank.

But how can they buy US ETF's? Any brokerages with good reputations and reasonable fees? I have searched and been unable to find help on this specific question.

Thanks.

Interactive Brokers; Pros: can trade a wide range of products from bunch of countries, and they have great commision rates. Con: Their platform usage is a little more complex than other brokers.

I had my TGF in TDAmritrade but transfered her to Think or Swim (lower commissions and a broarder range of products).

For any of these brokers, you will need to print off some forms from their website, fill them out, and mail in along with copies of ID.

The whole proces can take some time.

Think or Swim cold not locate forms we sent them twice so it took us about 3-4 months to open that account.

You sure you want to be in the market now??

How much are you charging for that unsolicited anonymous advice on the internet?

Maybe the OP wants to buy leveraged short ETF's.

Merely by asking the question my hunch is he doesn't even know what a short is and shorting what are essentially mutual funds (85%)?

But it sounds from your comment you also sense a bear is in the air (shorting).

Scott Trade and Fidelity also hae us8 trades now. I'd go w/ Fidelity. During the crises, they had no issues come to fore.

Edited by bangkokburning

Hi there,

If you are seriously thinking of investing check out .com or go to www.devere-group.com as they have a fund platform which will give you 24/7 access to over 5,000 morning star rated funds from 200 different fund houses. Contact me and I can set you up with an account if you're Thai national, or any other apart from American. Hope this helps you.

Edited by ukinbkk

Interactive Brokers; Pros: can trade a wide range of products from bunch of countries, and they have great commision rates. Con: Their platform usage is a little more complex than other brokers.

I had my TGF in TDAmritrade but transfered her to Think or Swim (lower commissions and a broarder range of products).

For any of these brokers, you will need to print off some forms from their website, fill them out, and mail in along with copies of ID.

The whole proces can take some time.

Think or Swim cold not locate forms we sent them twice so it took us about 3-4 months to open that account.

I can set you up with a devere fund platform account in 24 hrs.. Now that is what I call service!! Cost-37 euro's per yr!!! Access to 5,000 m/funds from 200 diff fund houses-all morning star rated.. Contact me for further details.. Hope this helps.

How much are you charging for that unsolicited anonymous advice on the internet?

Merely by asking the question my hunch is he doesn't even know what a short is and shorting what are essentially mutual funds (85%)?

Scott Trade and Fidelity ...

I thought the OP was only looking for advice on where to open an account.

And I'm totally clueless as to why you think I'm bearish. Nothing I wrote could possibly be interpreted as to how to invest.

Scott Trade and Fidelity also hae us8 trades now. I'd go w/ Fidelity. During the crises, they had no issues come to fore.

I use both Fidelity and TD Ameritrade. In addition to lowering the cost of trades, fidelity also offers free trading for some ETFs:

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/trading/What_You_Can_Trade/offer-faq-popup.shtml

I'd recommend either platform and have had good experiences with customer service for both. Fidelity is probably preferred because the commissions are cheaper.

I can understand how opening the account is relatively easy, but how does the Thai national fund the account? You can't just walk into a Thai bank and wire funds overseas without a proforma invoice or other documentation as to the purpose of the money.

Does anyone know an easy way for a Thai to send money to his overseas brokerage account after it has been opened?