A Small Generator.

Ned

What's the smallest generator available out there. I only need to run a fan or two, a small light and the TV. That's all. Too many blackouts lately.

Thanks

ps What sort of cost are we looking at including installation.

There are little 650 watt 2 stroke ones that would do exactly what you want, not sure where you could buy in Thailand though. You can buy them in any hardware/ camping store in Australia for under $200 (5000 Baht) They also have a 12 volt battery charger built in.

Try looking on Honda's website and see if they have someone in Thailand that handles the small gensets they make. I would think there would some available. I have a 4kw Honda gen in Florida for hurricanes. They run 24h/d with ease.

There are little 650 watt 2 stroke ones that would do exactly what you want, not sure where you could buy in Thailand though. You can buy them in any hardware/ camping store in Australia for under $200 (5000 Baht) They also have a 12 volt battery charger built in.

You can get them in most hardware stores here. I don't remember the price, but they're not expensive. 5000 baht doesn't sound far off.

I bought mine in Home Pro a couple of years ago, big enough to run most of the lights in the house and the fans as well. Cant remember how much is cost, but well worth it as there is a blackout nearly every thunderstorm lately.

Any local electrician can wire up for a few baht.

Best to set up so you just throw a couple of switches, and start the genny.

Good Luck

What's the smallest generator available out there. I only need to run a fan or two, a small light and the TV. That's all. Too many blackouts lately.

Unless you plan on unplugging these fans, the light & the TV from your power points & then plugging them DIRECTLY into the generator, there is much more involved than you think.

For starters, I suggest a Thai website...try this one http://www.generatorsolutions.org

This site is full of useful info.

Edited by elkangorito

I've been considering a generator for a couple of years because we suffer from brownouts a lot and everything stops working. I'm not ready to buy yet and I didnt really understand how the connection is made to the house from the generator. I contacted the guy from link posted by elkangorito (hes got an ad somewhere in the forum), and he has emailed me a few times with lots of info on how generators work and how they are connected to the house, he seems to know what he's talking about so if anybody needs advice on this kind of thing you could do worse than drop him a line...

Edited by DeepSea