Walking Street

:annoyed: The trial run for a Walking Street in Fishermans Village was good example of not thinking things through. Both sides of the street were packed with temple food vendors who washed their utensils and tossed the dirty water into the street. The mess the next day was unbelievable. With no public toilets, the crowd was pushing into existing restaurants to use their restrooms while some just peed off the street. A lesson for the residents !

Well said Crusty. Especially as times are hard, foreign businesses paying exorbitant rent whilst the street vendors are allowed to sell cheaper food and beer right outside the bars and restaurants. Potential visitors driving to the village to eat at a restaurant see it's walking street and drive elsewhere.

Not very well thoughtout.

Well said Crusty. Especially as times are hard, foreign businesses paying exorbitant rent whilst the street vendors are allowed to sell cheaper food and beer right outside the bars and restaurants. Potential visitors driving to the village to eat at a restaurant see it's walking street and drive elsewhere.

Not very well thoughtout.

You were amongst the crowd outside were you carmine? Should have got my attention I would have thrown you a spare rib or two....

Hardly noticed the difference after my second bottle of vino. :D

Of course there are too many vendors but basicly it is a nice thing. Now even normal Thais are walking through this street where ususally can see only farangs and Samui cab drivers. Maybe they should ban or reduce the food selling.

Or maybe only allow the restaurants who are already there to set up food stalls outside their restaurant.I know this is counter productive for them,in the sense that they want people inside eating from their menus.Holidayers staying in FV would probably do this anyway,but it is good to see so many thais(that would n't normally go)going there and its only because of the street food vendors.If the succes continue's the powers that be will have to put portacabin toilets at eithe rend of the street.

Of course there are too many vendors but basicly it is a nice thing. Now even normal Thais are walking through this street where ususally can see only farangs and Samui cab drivers. Maybe they should ban or reduce the food selling.

Or maybe only allow the restaurants who are already there to set up food stalls outside their restaurant.I know this is counter productive for them,in the sense that they want people inside eating from their menus.Holidayers staying in FV would probably do this anyway,but it is good to see so many thais(that would n't normally go)going there and its only because of the street food vendors.If the succes continue's the powers that be will have to put portacabin toilets at eithe rend of the street.

Confused chere bbc. Is success Thai people coming in to buy 30 baht barbeque pork and sticky rice and no restaurant customers bothering to drive to the village that night.

Seems rather unfair to put it mildly. Don't think that mobile toilets in the village would be exactly aesthetically pleasing :(

Confused chere bbc. Is success Thai people coming in to buy 30 baht barbeque pork and sticky rice and no restaurant customers bothering to drive to the village that night.

Seems rather unfair to put it mildly. Don't think that mobile toilets in the village would be exactly aesthetically pleasing :(

better than pissing in the street or on the beach surely?The restaurant owners should look at this as an oppotunity to capture some extra sales somehow.Usually FV is devoid of customers and tourists alike,so for one day a week its packed,like a january 1st sales day back home,offer for one day only some specials at special prices,the owners in my opinion should think positively,the people are there,they will have some money to spend.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

better than pissing in the street or on the beach surely?The restaurant owners should look at this as an oppotunity to capture some extra sales somehow.Usually FV is devoid of customers and tourists alike,so for one day a week its packed,like a january 1st sales day back home,offer for one day only some specials at special prices,the owners in my opinion should think positively,the people are there,they will have some money to spend.

Thais don't sit in western restaurants drinking wine and spending a thousand baht per head. Secondly, they already offer "specials seven days a week. As i am not a restauranteur or bar owner there it's not my problem anyway, this is just my opinion.

without any doubt that walking street is a bonus for Samui. samuibc is right.

and how can someone say, that restaurant customers drive somewhere else because of a walking street? maybe they were all there?

without any doubt that walking street is a bonus for Samui. samuibc is right.

and how can someone say, that restaurant customers drive somewhere else because of a walking street? maybe they were all there?

Everyone i know goes elsewhere that night. But hey, it's not as if i know everybody is it! So, without trying to put down what i said, do you not think it's concievable that maybe it "drives" a lot of diners away . When answering it would be preferable to forget any preferences for walking that you may have, because whilst that is ofcourse perfectly acceptable, it would'nt help to answer the question objectively.

I know of at least one restaurant(Thai owned and managed but not a Thai restaurant) that has benefited from this idea of the walking street. The owner offers small samples of his more popular dishes and has been more than happy with the way it works. He has found that he has managed to lure many new customers to his restaurant either that same night or the following nights. Whilst his restaurant is not a Thai restaurant he does get many Thai customers. Admittedly these are probably well to do Thais but there are alot of these Thais about that holiday on Samui. He has mentioned to me on more than one occasion that he would be quite happy to have the walking street twice a week.

I was thinking the same as "silent reader".Western owned restaurants could set up outside their own place,copy what the thais do,and small samples of what their menu has would be a good start.Its all about turning an advantage(the people are their one night a week)around to benefit yourself.

I was thinking the same as "silent reader".Western owned restaurants could set up outside their own place,copy what the thais do,and small samples of what their menu has would be a good start.Its all about turning an advantage(the people are their one night a week)around to benefit yourself.

Well, who knows. Maybe it would work. i agree it would be worth a try.

Walking Street is definetly a good thing for FV - on normal days I would never walk through the street, too many taxis, too many motorbikes and BTW I cannot see the beach because of all those new, tall buildings offering expensive foods and drinks for rich farangs. And please stop whining about the cheap charly Thais, there are 50 times more people on Friday nights hence a lot more potential customers. This road should be closed for cars and bikes every evening with street selling allowed once a week.

Walking Street is definetly a good thing for FV - on normal days I would never walk through the street, too many taxis, too many motorbikes and BTW I cannot see the beach because of all those new, tall buildings offering expensive foods and drinks for rich farangs. And please stop whining about the cheap charly Thais, there are 50 times more people on Friday nights hence a lot more potential customers. This road should be closed for cars and bikes every evening with street selling allowed once a week.

Agree about the road closure after 6pm.As the street is a very long one,could they not operate a little,long tuk tuk train that runs on battery to ferry people up and down,say 10 baht a ride.It would be fun and generate another income at a reasonable price.

Don't look down on street vendors.

I my opinion, any activity, such as walking streets, will bring in more people to the area, and over the course of time, will bring more prosperity for everyone.

Live and let live !!!

last fridays walking street maybe attract 1-2 thousand more people to FV whom normally would never come...

last fridays walking street maybe attract 1-2 thousand more people to FV whom normally would never come...

1-2 thousand people more people...prone to exageration perhaps?

He has got his days mixed up, it was Sunday night.They came to watch the TV party & the shenanigans that went on.

He has got his days mixed up, it was Sunday night.They came to watch the TV party & the shenanigans that went on.

....and ofcourse the unveiling of "not mark"