Thai Keyboard

zxray

Virtual keyboards are OK for occasional use, but I can't imagine trying to use a Thai one (with up to 4 symbols on a key and a critical typing order for the accents).

Simple solution.

Either (as you suggest) buy a Thai keyboard.

OR

Get a friend in BKK to run down to pantip and get one of those sticker sets that you put on a normal keyboard and post it to you.

Dead easy :o

Edited by Crossy

Virtual keyboards are OK for occasional use, but I can't imagine trying to use a Thai one (with up to 4 symbols on a key and a critical typing order for the accents).

Simple solution.

OR

Get a friend in BKK to run down to pantip and get one of those sticker sets that you put on a normal keyboard and post it to you.

Pantip was mentioned today when I tried to buy a new cartridge for my old 4200 series cannon bubble jet. Where is it located ?

I just received a Thai keyboard that I ordered online from DCO Thailand. USB connection, cost about 14$US plus shipping.

I set up the Thai fonts on my computer (with Win XP), now I just have to hit the F11 key and everything I type is in Thai (without the Thai keyboard though, you'd have to be very conversant in the Language to know what you are typing !)

I just received a Thai keyboard that I ordered online from DCO Thailand. USB connection, cost about 14$US plus shipping.

I set up the Thai fonts on my computer (with Win XP), now I just have to hit the F11 key and everything I type is in Thai (without the Thai keyboard though, you'd have to be very conversant in the Language to know what you are typing !)

I have a Thai colleage and friend (an Ajarn) who I watched typing a report in Thai. I questioned him why he was constantly looking at the keyboard and using the two finger method. He said typing in Thai was too difficult and preferred to use English.

Simple solution.

OR

Pantip was mentioned today when I tried to buy a new cartridge for my old 4200 series cannon bubble jet. Where is it located ?

Pantip Plaza is on Phetchaburi Road (Bangkok) about 10 mins walk from Ratchathewi BTS station, any taxi or tuktuk driver will know where it is. Five (or is it six) floors of electronics mayhem.

An alternative is the two floors of computer kit at Fortune Shopping Centre on Ratchadaphisek Road, just outside the Ratchadaphisek/Rama 9 underground station.

If you are driving, I would recommend this in preference to Pantip, as the latter has dreadful parking, while Fortune has a huge free parking station in the building - having said that, if you are in the middle of town, then Pantip may be more convenient.

:o

I have a Thai colleage and friend (an Ajarn) who I watched typing a report in Thai. I questioned him why he was constantly looking at the keyboard and using the two finger method. He said typing in Thai was too difficult and preferred to use English.

It's mainly a matter of practice.

Many Thais use more English than Thai when typing and are unaccustomed to typing their own language. It is not that much more difficult to learn though - you just need to put down the same time you put down when learning to type with Western letters. My own Thai has been speeding up of late as a result of practice - mainly through this forum - but I still have to look at the keyboard. It's likely to take at least another year before I can grow out of that habit.

I will try the microsoft virtual keyboard. seems like the way to go for now, and I will be sure to pick up a Thai keyboard next visit to the LOS.

Learning to read and write Thai, and I think that sending my TGF emails in Thai will be great language practice!

Thanks for the help All. Ray

I've been typing on English computer keyboards for 30 years - and still have to look.

Yeah, me too RDN (we 20 years, I'm not as old as you :D ). I use a KB all day, every day and still look at the keys. I also use two fingers mainly, but can still out type most people!!! I know where all the keys are, but my brain just doesn't trust my fingers!

I am painfully slow on a Thai KB though. I have a Thai KB on my phone (Nokia 7710) and a scribble tablet that allows me to scribble the Thai text and it converts it to text. I'm quicker doing it that way - one letter at a time - than using the bl**dy KB! :o

PS: Oh, forgot - I bought a Thai KB by mail order once, it was missing a key. Not phyically, just one of the Thai characters was not on the keyboard anywhere. I compared it to another I got and Panthip, and the first one had an L shaped Enter key that overspanned the position where the missing key was on the new KB! Wierd

Edited by wolf5370

Simple solution.

OR

Dead easy :D

Pantip Plaza is on Phetchaburi Road (Bangkok) about 10 mins walk from Ratchathewi BTS station, any taxi or tuktuk driver will know where it is. Five (or is it six) floors of electronics mayhem.

Crossy

Thanks

Mijan24 :o

• 1 month later...

สวัสดีครับ

Was learning Thai. But I did not have any Thai keyboard.

So I developed my own virtual Thai keyboard. I think this one is more powerful than some other on-line Java keyboards: it can work off-line and can type directly in the current application without copying and pasting. Besides it can work directly with most softwares like Word or even with MSN MESSENGER (! :o !).

I made it available at:

VirtualThaiKeypad

(http://membres.lycos.fr/thaimog/)

ลานะครับ

//Edit: no URLs to competitive web sites, please.

Edited by RDN