Getting A Driving License

Hi

I know that this has been covered in a previous threda but Im interested in people's experiences trying to get a Thai driving license.

I have the full UK license, an International driving license and a NON O visa. When Iwent to the driving centre in Suwannapum they said that I needed a form from my embassy confirming my address at my Thai wife's house.

Anybody else encountered this and what other paper work was required ?

cheers

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

The following are required to make the application :

Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

Medical certificate stating good health

2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

copied from: http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

In my own experience, as well a few years ago, needed all but no medical. Renewal after one year is easier, present the old, fill out a form, 2 pictures 105 Baht, wait 40 min.

Folllowing year can apply for 5 years licence at Baht 505

I just got my license here in Phetchabun last month,and the residence issue was enforced here,I had to have either from Immigration or embassy and it is cheaper from imm.police than at the embassy and was no trouble to get,it cost me 300 baht per copy,my wife had to show the house papers and her ID card.. I have heard that some folks get them from imm.for less money,so it is pobly just what ever they want to charge.

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

Folllowing year can apply for 5 years licence at Baht 505

Actually if you go one year and one day after your first Thai license was issued, you can get a 5 year license.

I went about a week before my license was due to expire and the clerk told me I should wait one week and come back to get a five year license at that time but she couldn't explain why. I found out later that if you have had a Thai license for at least one year, you are then eligible for a 5 year license. Five year license cost was 505 baht if I remember correctly and took about 30 minutes of waiting.

Just one FYI regarding the medical certificate: Bumrungrad have their own interesting interpretation regarding what is needed for a TH drivers license.

If your color vision is not perfect, they will not give you a med certificate for a D/L. Thailand would be the only country in the world with this requirement if it was true.

I went to see three different doctors (including an optamologist "Dr Flapcutter" - he goes by that name in some farang circles because of some incidents in the LASIK clinic) in Bumrungrad and they all refused with the motivation that Thai law requires perfect color vision. My eyesight is otherwise good and I can distinguish between all colors, but I just don't see the numbers in the cards with all the colorful dots.

I then went to a normal clinic where they did not have this twisted idea. The DL office also checked me, but they told me that the requirement is only that you can distinguish between red, green, yellow and orange. No need to be able to see the numbers in those "colorful dot" cards.

And when I started to fill out the DL application in Thai (my Thai handwriting is not very impressive) they stopped me and said I should fill it out in English and not hurt myself. :o

(When you are in the DL office in On Nuch, check out the license plates on the parking behind the building. I wonder why they have so many old pickup trucks with number AA9999 etc... :D )

I just got my license here in Phetchabun last month,and the residence issue was enforced here,I had to have either from Immigration or embassy and it is cheaper from imm.police than at the embassy and was no trouble to get,it cost me 300 baht per copy,my wife had to show the house papers and her ID card.. I have heard that some folks get them from imm.for less money,so it is pobly just what ever they want to charge.

Can you get the residence paper, at the imm., if you are renting a place ?

I can see no reason why you can't as it is where you live,if you get at the US embassy I know that they never ask for proof,they just write and notorize as fact anything that you tell them, but it is a lot cheaper and easier to do at Thai Immigration.and as to the medical exam,I never even saw a dr. just the 30 baht for the form. and they didn't care that I had a california license that was good for 3 more years,,still had to take all tests and drive around the track on both pickup and motorcycle.