Titanium Nitride Fork Stanchions

I saw this finish on a bike at the Bangkok bike show and really like it, great contrast with a blacked out bike

I just got word back from Richco in Chiang Mai that they can't do it maybe some one knows where i could look now?

A coating frequently applied to dirt bike fork tubes and shock shafts is Titanium Nitride. Titanium nitride (TiN) is gold in color, and is an extremely hard ceramic material deposited on metal surfaces as a very thin film. The most common method of Titanium Nitride thin film creation on steel is physical vapor deposition (PVD). With this method, pure titanium is converted into a gas, reacted with nitrogen in a high-energy, vacuum environment, and deposited on metal as a thin film. Titanium Nitride reduces friction, and when used on steel has a coefficient of friction of 0.3. As a reference point, steel on steel has a coefficient of friction of 0.7.

Titanium Nitride provides the benefit of a hard surface barrier against nicks, scratches, and sand lines. However, the limitation is that it is non-flexible and brittle. If the fork tube or shock shaft is ever bent or deformed, the Titanium Nitride is prone to crack and then flake off. This increases friction. As well it creates a rough surface that prematurely wears fork and shock seals, resulting in oil leakage.

post-73185-077570700 1277535013_thumb.jp

Yeah Ive never heard of any aftermarket company doing ti nitride and that was in LA, the customizers capital. I think only big oems like Showa and Ohlins have such technology. Maybe YSS has ti nitride but it's only for small shock parts. I recall there was one place in LA that did ceramic coatings on wheels that looked sweet but can't recall the name. As mentioned I think ti nitride is too advanced to be found anywhere in Thailand. I also have never seen or heard of it on anything larger than a shock part. Search the web maybe you'll get lucky.

The forks on the bike in your picture were most likely anodized. Plenty of shops all over Bangkok that can anodize aluminum for you in a variety of colors. Happy Trails! Tony

I was in two minds myself whether the OP was talking about the gold anodising or the black Ti Nitride finish on the lower stanchions, due to the fact that the photo was taken of the entire front end.

On another note, I found awahile back a couple of websites that show how to carry out home grown anodising. Must chase those links down and post up.

The TiN is usually on the tube part, and the leg would be anodized

Agreed- this is what we're talking about- low friction inner fork tubes:

GixxerInnerForkTubes.jpg

The OP's picture showed the gold anodized fork tubes and from his post I got the impression that's what he was talking about...

I saw this finish on a bike at the Bangkok bike show and really like it, great contrast with a blacked out bike

Ride On!

Tony