Help With Identifying A Bird

A few days ago a male and female bird showed up in our yard that we've not seen in the 14 years we've lived here. They began building a nest within 10 feet of where we enjoy our morning coffee. They seem to have little fear of our presence. The female has since laid two eggs. I've searched hundreds of bird photos on the internet and can't find anything close. The fluffy white cotton ball on the back of the male is distinctive.

If there's a birder out there who knows what kind of birds these are, my wife and I would appreciate the help. We live in Udon.

post-10743-044379400 1277635305_thumb.jp

post-10743-035535900 1277635352_thumb.jp

It is a White-rumped Shama, a fairly common, and usually rather skulking, forest species. Surprising to find it in a garden.

I was hoping someone like you was lurking on this forum. Thanks for the positive ID. Interesting that a pair would suddenly appear and nest.

See them fairly reguarly around homein phuket, the average thai's mouth starts watering the moment they sight them

Sadly true and probably accounts for the lack of many creatures my wife says she used to see as a child but have since gone.

We get some nice green bee eaters on our land and a quite a few others including this lot.

post-66436-029148400 1277989557_thumb.jp

post-66436-031131800 1277989571_thumb.jp

post-66436-030137400 1277989588_thumb.jp

post-66436-023457600 1277989604_thumb.jp

jap.gif

See them fairly reguarly around homein phuket, the average thai's mouth starts watering the moment they sight them

Sadly true and probably accounts for the lack of many creatures my wife says she used to see as a child but have since gone.

We get some nice green bee eaters on our land and a quite a few others including this lot.

Would you identify the birds in your photos? I have seen the two on the left on my property and had no idea that there was any bird as large as the one on the right that has escaped the barbecue grill here in Thailand. Thanks

From left to right, Green Bee-eater, Indian Roller, Little Cormorant, Silver Pheasant. Where are you, OP, by the way?

Im not the OP but am down close to Sam Toi Yot but inland 16km from the sea, rolling hills leading up to mountains...........lovelt loads of wildlife and a marshy area that has been created by locals digging out soil form a huge area and creating habitat unintentionally. Good for birds though heres a swallow or swift? and view of the man made marshland complete with some great kingfishers and wading birds and the comorant bird . Good dragonflies too

post-66436-075072400 1278159304_thumb.jp

Edited by yabaaaa

From left to right, Green Bee-eater, Indian Roller, Little Cormorant, Silver Pheasant. Where are you, OP, by the way?

Im not the OP but am down close to Sam Toi Yot but inland 16km from the sea, rolling hills leading up to mountains...........lovelt loads of wildlife and a marshy area that has been created by locals digging out soil form a huge area and creating habitat unintentionally. Good for birds though heres a swallow or swift? and view of the man made marshland complete with some great kingfishers and wading birds and the comorant bird . Good dragonflies too

Forgot to add photo of marsh area

post-66436-038705800 1278159428_thumb.jp

Your bird is a Drongo, probably Black, though the tail/body ratio suggest an Ashy. It's difficult to tell because the picture is too strongly backlit.

Thanks Isan birder is it related to swallows, swifts in anyway?

Your bird is a Drongo, probably Black, though the tail/body ratio suggest an Ashy. It's difficult to tell because the picture is too strongly backlit.

No. Black Drongos like sitting on telegraph wires, and often swoop down to catch insects. The Ashy is more of a woodland bird, but also likes fairly exposed perches.

No. Black Drongos like sitting on telegraph wires, and often swoop down to catch insects. The Ashy is more of a woodland bird, but also likes fairly exposed perches.

Thanks you sure know your birds :D

Im at Sam Roi Yot I see earleir I made a typo, its my cloven hooves on the keyboard!!

Edited by yabaaaa

The pair of white-rumped shama that showed up suddenly built a nest in the gutter just above where we drink our morning coffee. They didn't seem afraid of our presence. The next day a storm washed the nest out. Later in the day, the male showed up at my computer window (on the other side of the house).....I sensed he was looking for a place to nest. In a panic, I (????) pulled out an old shoebox, cut it up a bit, added a few pieces of dried grass and put it on the porch next to the window. 15 minutes later, the female shows up, inspects it and apparently was satisfied that it was free of formaldehyde and other toxins. By the next day, nest complete, it began laying eggs. Today the four chicks hatched and male and female are ferrying food for them. Don't know if they'll stay in the area after they're all done, but it's been nice having the male around with his beautiful voice.

post-10743-019682100 1278756820_thumb.jp

post-10743-007369100 1278756873_thumb.jp

The pair of white-rumped shama that showed up suddenly built a nest in the gutter just above where we drink our morning coffee. They didn't seem afraid of our presence. The next day a storm washed the nest out. Later in the day, the male showed up at my computer window (on the other side of the house).....I sensed he was looking for a place to nest. In a panic, I (????) pulled out an old shoebox, cut it up a bit, added a few pieces of dried grass and put it on the porch next to the window. 15 minutes later, the female shows up, inspects it and apparently was satisfied that it was free of formaldehyde and other toxins. By the next day, nest complete, it began laying eggs. Today the four chicks hatched and male and female are ferrying food for them. Don't know if they'll stay in the area after they're all done, but it's been nice having the male around with his beautiful voice.

Lovely to watch; I'm glad you enjoy them.

• 2 weeks later...
From left to right, Green Bee-eater, Indian Roller, Little Cormorant, Silver Pheasant. Where are you, OP, by the way

The last one is a Guineafowl. Don't have my guide nearby, but if I remember rightly it is a Helmeted Guineafowl. Certainly not a native bird of Thailand, it lives in East Africa (at least that is where I have seen them).

From left to right, Green Bee-eater, Indian Roller, Little Cormorant, Silver Pheasant. Where are you, OP, by the way

The last one is a Guineafowl. Don't have my guide nearby, but if I remember rightly it is a Helmeted Guineafowl. Certainly not a native bird of Thailand, it lives in East Africa (at least that is where I have seen them).

I'm sure you're right, Hanno; my mistake! I wonder what it was doing here?

I'm sure you're right, Hanno; my mistake! I wonder what it was doing here?

it will be an escape.. they are bred in captivity in parts of Thailand for their egg production & generally as food.. an upmarket alternative to chicken.