Thai Conversational (only) Class..

ChrisP

Hi..

I'm looking to take a (shortish) class in "Conversational Thai"...

I know I may get some flack for this, but I'm not interested (at present anyway) in learning Thai Grammar, writing etc etc. just basic speaking/listening.

I've been to LOS several times now, and find it hard to improve everyday Thai speaking on my own...

So I just want to improve my ability to speak and understand everyday basic conversational Thai..

I'm in BKK, Din Daeng area, btw Maybe I should take a private class...? But who with.

Any recommendations plz..?

ChrisP

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to pay then I highly recommend Berlitz. They are not cheap but it is hard core almost 100% conversation. You learn grammar by talking, they don't get too hung up on pronunciation but just drill the heck out of you as you build, and build on what you know. I tried another school in BKK and it was too much just reading quickly, talking in English and moving on. When I come out of a couple hours of Berlitz my head HURTS. Sometimes I almost want to bark at my teacher “can we just talk English for a moment” but noooo I know she won’t – not even the chit chat as we start and end the lesson, it’s hard core Thai all the way.

You can find them on the web, they have several locations and IMHO are worth the price to get their method. And believe me my skull is think so I’m going to pay and pay I fear :o

heya,

I took lessons at Peeraya Thai House for a few months and have improved my speaking (also learned reading and writing). I will PM you their number and info. They are very flexible - private or group class - weekdays/weekends/nights/days - at their office or at your home - and what type of material you want to learn - they have their own material, but if you want to learn something more specific, just request it.

Hi..

I'm looking to take a (shortish) class in "Conversational Thai"...

I know I may get some flack for this, but I'm not interested (at present anyway) in learning Thai Grammar, writing etc etc.  just basic speaking/listening.

I've been to LOS several times now, and find it hard to improve everyday Thai speaking on my own...

So I just want to improve my ability to speak and understand everyday basic conversational Thai.. 

I'm in BKK, Din Daeng area, btw Maybe I should take a private class...? But who with.

Any recommendations plz..?

ChrisP

The best course so far is a rapid program entitled Cracking Thai Fundamentals conducted by Stu Raj. It's a four week course (3 hours per session) and costs 11,000 baht. That may sound more expensive than traditional Thai courses, but you will save a lot of time and effort and will learn more Thai than taking a six month traditional course.

I've done the course myself and it's absolutely brilliant. You learn how to remember the basic building blocks in Thai using body movements and memory techniques.

You will also learn how to read Thai - it's actually quite easy - and how to pronounce the words correctly. After about two hours over two weeks, I learnt not only the consonants, but also most of the vowels, which class each consonant belonged to and whether the sound is aspirated or not. I have friends who have spent months trying to learn Thai who don't know any of this.

Here is the vision taken directly from the manual:

It is now 3 months from the time that I finished Stu’s Cracking Thai Fundamentals Workshop. 

I am reading Thai newspapers, menus and magazines every day. Even though I don’t understand all the words, I am pronouncing the words with about an 85% level of accuracy. 

I can look up new words that I hear and see in my dictionary that never leaves my side in less than 20 seconds.

I’m learning a minimum of 15 new words and 1 idiom per day. 

I watch Thai television programmes or listen to Thai radio for at least 1 hour per day.

Whenever I hear a new sound or a new word, I can visualize where it’s being produced from in the mouth and imitate it.

I regularly visit Thai websites, bulletin boards and chat-rooms and am able to type in Thai so that I can communicate over the internet.

Not only will you learn stuff that most Thais don't even know about (and that includes the teachers), you will get an insight into Thai culture that most Farang never achieve. Stu organizes social get-togethers and day-trips (for practicing your newly acquired Thai skills) and he is starting a follow-on workshop for those who have already attended the first course.

There's usually a course starting every month. The next one starts on Monday 1 August (2005) at English Solutions on Sukhumvit Soi 1. If you live near Baan Chaopraya on the other side of the river (close to Peninsular Hotel), there will be an evening course (Wednesdays) and a Saturday morning course starting soon.

His contact details are:

[email protected]

Tel. 01-9888-105

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED