Marriage Question

SailingHome

I heard that marriages in Thailand is simply telling the Thai governement via a form that you are married and the husband does this. Is this true?

Also, either way, some people I talk with don't really care if it is legally registered in the U.S. , Brittain, etc. so are marriages "in country" without the embassy work ok too?

You both have to go to the local Amphur (government) office, that is the official side of it, You would need to go to your Embassy in Thailand first to verify your documents etc. A lot of Thais don't bother with registering, there is also the ceremony which is done with the family. I know for Australia if you are legally married it is easier to prove your relationship.

You both have to go to the local Amphur (government) office, that is the official side of it, You would need to go to your Embassy in Thailand first to verify your documents etc. A lot of Thais don't bother with registering, there is also the ceremony which is done with the family. I know for Australia if you are legally married it is easier to prove your relationship.

I think what you are saying is that there is a family ceremony, but many people don't even register. Marriage does not have to be "legalized" then, correct?

Family ceremony is for appearances and so they can get Sin Sod (dowry) from you. The legal part is free, at least the registration is free, there are costs to get your documents verified etc.

You do not have to register but it may have implications if you want to take your wife back to your home country.

Legal marriage

You both goto the Amphur office and register the marriage, you both get marriage certificates, cost 40bht

A foreigner will need a 'certificate of freedom to marry' from their embassy translated into Thai and counterstamped by the ministry of foreign affairs in BK special rip-off price mostly from your own embassy (in the order of 6000bht).

Village wedding (meaningless ceremony)

Big party for village freeloaders, has no legal meaning, completely pointless for foreigners, chance for Thai partner to scam a load of money off the foreigner.

Why would you want a wedding that was not legal?

Just don't bother and save the money.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Had the ceremony at my wifes house and enjoyed it, over 300 people turned up to see a farang getting married. With the money they gave we made a profit of about 100 baht after all food and drinks where paid for.

Good for you, garyh, that's the attitude! We had ours complete with the freeloaders and all, but it was very nice to meet and be welcomed into my wife's small village. I'm not sure how much it all cost, but I am sure my wife knows to the satang, and I don't really care if we lost or gained...it felt good and now we have three anniversaries to celebrate...official registry, village ceremony and home country wedding. (Now that one cost):lol::lol:

mario299

I recently married. I am English and this was the process i did.

I went to the British embassy where i had to get an affermation to marry. This is a document saying you are free to marry and the embassy stamps it.

Then needed to get it translated to thai, many places round the embassies do this.

Then needed to get it certified. Took only a couple of days.

Took this, my passport, my gf and her id, house book and went to the amphur.

Married that day, with 2 friends as witnesses.

Got given thai marriage certificate.

This marriage is 100% legitimate in Britain, the US, Austrialia (i asume then every counrty country).

Cermonies are different (sorry about spellings) they are just that, they are just the event. Even in a western wedding, walking down the aisle doesnt make u married, its the piece of paper u sign just after that makes it all legal.

If u want to know more cos ive just done it myself then feel free to message me, if not good luck to u

maybe this is what you're looking for:

to your wife the legal part at the ampho probably means little or nothing as long as you have the vilolage /family thing.

i finally was the one after some years because it makes it real easy for me to get a non immigrant o without any hassle like bank statements etc at my embassy back home.i do this once a year and it takes 5 minutes and i can come and go as i like,into thailand.