How Many Foreigners Call Phuket Home?

ausinpatong

out with some guests yesterday and was asked...how many foreigners live on phuket permanently at any one time

have had the same enquirey a few times over the years,and was always going to look into it

no doubt there is some type of bureaucracy that keeps track of this,but is it accessable to anyone who asks?

i realise that there is a fairly transient population so maybe no actual figures are available

maybe some sort of guestimation would be the only indicator

would be of interest to see what the trends are/have been over the years

any ideas ?

Edited by ausinpatong

I read one year in The Phuket Gazette, the breakdown of visa extensions from Phuket Immigration, but I don't remember what it said. But that wouldn't include everyone anyway... You could try asking them...rolleyes.gif Where I live I see the same people pretty much all the time. But I think the number may have declined in the past couple of years. I know several that have died and this time of year people aren't out as much due to the rainy weather. Even my dentist said today, many people have been canceling appointments due to the weather... No clue, how many foreigners call it home. Phuket has many different areas that foreigners live and it takes about an hour and a half to drive from one end to the other...

My guesstimate would be around 5,000 to 10,000 considering the real population of Phuket must be close to one million rather than the official number of about 350,000 which is based only on the Thais who are registered here.

My guesstimate would be around 5,000 to 10,000 considering the real population of Phuket must be close to one million rather than the official number of about 350,000 which is based only on the Thais who are registered here.

yes valentine...your right about the real population being nearer 1 million for sure

a couple of mates this morning 'guestimated' more in the 12000 to 15000 ...?? but most agree that this number is in a slow decline

yes valentine...your right about the real population being nearer 1 million for sure

a couple of mates this morning 'guestimated' more in the 12000 to 15000 ...?? but most agree that this number is in a slow decline

Ahhhhhhh man, here we go again.

What statistics do you have to validate that statement (?), because the island sure doesn't look to be declining in foreign population.

Carrefour, Villa Market, 7/11's en masse, you think these operations open because the foreign population is declining?

Instead, why don't you make the statement "but most of my mates around the table while we were having a beer agree they think the number is in slow decline".

Ahhhhhhh man, here we go again.

What statistics do you have to validate that statement (?), because the island sure doesn't look to be declining in foreign population.

Carrefour, Villa Market, 7/11's en masse, you think these operations open because the foreign population is declining?

Instead, why don't you make the statement "but most of my mates around the table while we were having a beer agree they think the number is in slow decline".

I thought it was quite clear that the only figure which can be validated is the official population of Phuket, everything else is guess work based upon personal observations & I would venture to suggest the shopping malls are not specifically built for foreigners. 7/11s, Big C & Lotus would have at least 95% Thais on any given day. Villa Mart would be the exception but even then it has to be about 50/50 while the rest of Home Pro Village is predominantly Thai.

I thought it was quite clear that the only figure which can be validated is the official population of Phuket, everything else is guess work based upon personal observations & I would venture to suggest the shopping malls are not specifically built for foreigners. 7/11s, Big C & Lotus would have at least 95% Thais on any given day. Villa Mart would be the exception but even then it has to be about 50/50 while the rest of Home Pro Village is predominantly Thai.

Agreed, I guess my point was the management making the decisions for Carrefour, Villa Market probably would not have "gone for it" if the fact was foreigners were leaving more than coming to stay.

Also, anyone else noticed the increasing Russian population?

The Russians are one of the few group of expats who do not seem to have a problem with the current economic climate considering there could be a double dip recession with serious consequences. Most of the others appear to be hanging on to their money for various reasons one of which is the unfavourable exchange rate.

The Russians are one of the few group of expats who do not seem to have a problem with the current economic climate considering there could be a double dip recession with serious consequences. Most of the others appear to be hanging on to their money for various reasons one of which is the unfavourable exchange rate.

Most wealthy Russians have their income in USD, but no debts. More Russians are presently arriving Phuket than US citicens.

OP, since Thai government has no clue whatsover of the number of Thais living in Phuket, I guarantee you nobody knows how many farang lives here.

What they know, is how many people are registered living here in their Tabien Baan, which could be 20-70% of the Thai population.

Since only a few hundred farang are registered living here (in their yellow housebooks), keep on guestimating.

One thing is for certain, farang population is increasing, not decreasing as you claim.

many of the farang calling Phuket home work overseas/offshore every second month or so. A good deal of them dont even have a Visa for Thailand, they do fine on entry stamps or if more than 30 days needed touristvisa.

Most wealthy Russians have their income in USD, but no debts. More Russians are presently arriving Phuket than US citicens.

OP, since Thai government has no clue whatsover of the number of Thais living in Phuket, I guarantee you nobody knows how many farang lives here.

What they know, is how many people are registered living here in their Tabien Baan, which could be 20-70% of the Thai population.

Since only a few hundred farang are registered living here (in their yellow housebooks), keep on guestimating.

One thing is for certain, farang population is increasing, not decreasing as you claim.

many of the farang calling Phuket home work overseas/offshore every second month or so. A good deal of them dont even have a Visa for Thailand, they do fine on entry stamps or if more than 30 days needed touristvisa.

thanks for your opinion

some mates agreed that they thought the pop was slowly decreasing..i just posted their thoughts...they have no actual figures....

do you have figures to show as you say?..

a link to some where or whatever would be appreciated..

thanks for your opinion

some mates agreed that they thought the pop was slowly decreasing..i just posted their thoughts...they have no actual figures....

do you have figures to show as you say?..

a link to some where or whatever would be appreciated..

indications on growing farang population in Phuket

1. Major car dealers like Toyota, Honda and Izu (85% of the total market) sells 4 times as many cars registered to foreigners as they did 5 years ago.

2. Finance companies increase in loans and creditcards to foreigners

3. Increase in property leases (compared to thai-thai sales) registered in land office past years

4. Increase in farang police volunteers

What would be interesting is any stats on work permits. Anyone? Most farang calling Phuket home does not have a work permit, but it would be interesting to see if there is an increase of those working here too.

Agreed, I guess my point was the management making the decisions for Carrefour, Villa Market probably would not have "gone for it" if the fact was foreigners were leaving more than coming to stay.

Carrefour was started years ago, there were several delays in the building project. Villa was started just before the world economic decline. I was there yesterday and it's by no means crowded! My dentist says she's not very busy, There aren't many farang in Rawai or Naiharn, less than usual for this time of year. There are a lot of places with for rent, for sale signs up. And businesses are closing. Just my observation. And I don't see Russians down this way either. I know one but haven't seen him lately...

Carrefour was started years ago, there were several delays in the building project. Villa was started just before the world economic decline. I was there yesterday and it's by no means crowded! My dentist says she's not very busy, There aren't many farang in Rawai or Naiharn, less than usual for this time of year. There are a lot of places with for rent, for sale signs up. And businesses are closing. Just my observation. And I don't see Russians down this way either. I know one but haven't seen him lately...

Phuket has become crowded with Russians. Carrefour any time. Central any time. Tesco Lotus and Homepro. Upscale restaurants in Kata, Patong, Kamala after 8pm. Koh Raja in the high season. Why do "all" the Russians living here drive Fortuners? Ok I know, I used to export SUVs to Russia:rolleyes: Spaziba

And why on earth did all these guys buy existing travelagents and made them into Russian only travelagents with Russian speaking staff?

Carrefour was started years ago, there were several delays in the building project. Villa was started just before the world economic decline. I was there yesterday and it's by no means crowded! My dentist says she's not very busy, There aren't many farang in Rawai or Naiharn, less than usual for this time of year. There are a lot of places with for rent, for sale signs up. And businesses are closing. Just my observation. And I don't see Russians down this way either. I know one but haven't seen him lately.

It's low season on the island and compared to years past, seems just as crowded to me, although with the additional 500 shophouses and plethora of new houses being built, I can understand the more "for rent" signs that are visible. Businesses for sale always seems to be high this time of year and I haven't really noticed any increase in these over years past if the gazette classifieds is any indication.

Phuket has become crowded with Russians. Carrefour any time. Central any time. Tesco Lotus and Homepro. Upscale restaurants in Kata, Patong, Kamala after 8pm. Koh Raja in the high season. Why do "all" the Russians living here drive Fortuners? Ok I know, I used to export SUVs to Russiarolleyes.gif Spaziba

And why on earth did all these guys buy existing travelagents and made them into Russian only travelagents with Russian speaking staff?

Maybe Patong has, I never go there. I did live there for 9 months, but that was 5 years ago. I hardly go to Kata either. Why would anyone use or buy a travel agency? Booking online is easier and usually cheaper. But I always ask a travel agent I know in Bangkok, if she can beat the price online. She hasn't said yes once... And driving SUV's on the small Sois, is also BRILLIANT!

Edit: formatting

Maybe Patong has, I never go there. I did live there for 9 months, but that was 5 years ago. I hardly go to Kata either. Why would anyone use or buy a travel agency? Booking online is easier and usually cheaper. But I always ask a travel agent I know in Bangkok, if she can beat the price online. She hasn't said yes once... And driving SUV's on the small Sois, is also BRILLIANT!

Edit: formatting

The Russians using Russian speaking travel agents do so because they dont speak, read or write english very well. Booking Kho Racha or Fantasea online? I dont think so, neither in English or Russian.

Several hotels have employed Russian speaking staff, and Russian speaking guides are crowding the island. So are Russian real estate agents.

Wealthy Russians are used to driving their SUV in the middle of the roadB)

As for driving a SUV in any Soi, I guess quiet a few thai and farang are brilliant in your eyes

The Russians using Russian speaking travel agents do so because they dont speak, read or write english very well. Booking Kho Racha or Fantasea online? I dont think so, neither in English or Russian.

Several hotels have employed Russian speaking staff, and Russian speaking guides are crowding the island. So are Russian real estate agents.

Wealthy Russians are used to driving their SUV in the middle of the roadB)

As for driving a SUV in any Soi, I guess quiet a few thai and farang are brilliant in your eyes

I remember that movie: "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!" My land lady asked me yesterday if I wanted to buy my house, as I've lived in it for four years now. I said no. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand it in Phuket. I like the low season and we didn't get that many people in high season in Rawai when I first moved here. And you're right, anyone that owns a Fortuna on this island I have a word for, that I can't say without a one week suspension! But, not being a tourist I don't know about Fantasea. I know you can book a room online for Koh Racha and I know where to hire a boat... Not a good time to go there now though! By the way you can book Fantasea online, in Russian: http://www.phuket-fantasea.com/

Edit: added comment

indications on growing farang population in Phuket

1. Major car dealers like Toyota, Honda and Izu (85% of the total market) sells 4 times as many cars registered to foreigners as they did 5 years ago.

2. Finance companies increase in loans and creditcards to foreigners

3. Increase in property leases (compared to thai-thai sales) registered in land office past years

4. Increase in farang police volunteers

What would be interesting is any stats on work permits. Anyone? Most farang calling Phuket home does not have a work permit, but it would be interesting to see if there is an increase of those working here too.

Could not 2 explain 1 and 3?

As to 4, I truly hope they are not representative of anyone or anything.

Recently, on a Monday morning, I went to immigration for my 90 day check in. 3 officers were standing around chatting as they had nothing to do. I was out of there within a minute. I know someone who works there & he said the numbers visiting immigration are down quite considerably. A couple of car salesmen I know say they are finding it harder to make sales. A couple of weeks ago I went to renew a car registration & had it done within 2 minutes. I keep hearing stories of foreigners being laid off from their jobs. Many foreigners I know are cutting back on their expenses. None of these are a definitive indication to show a net decrease in foreigners but the trends do not look good.

The threat of a double dip recession is looming closer on the horizon. Europe is becoming a basket case. The US has printed mountains of extra money which will have to be mopped up sometime & their debt must be enormous. IMO worldwide economic hardship will certainly not boost the number of foreigners living in Phuket.

Recently, on a Monday morning, I went to immigration for my 90 day check in. 3 officers were standing around chatting as they had nothing to do. I was out of there within a minute. I know someone who works there & he said the numbers visiting immigration are down quite considerably. A couple of car salesmen I know say they are finding it harder to make sales. A couple of weeks ago I went to renew a car registration & had it done within 2 minutes. I keep hearing stories of foreigners being laid off from their jobs. Many foreigners I know are cutting back on their expenses. None of these are a definitive indication to show a net decrease in foreigners but the trends do not look good. The threat of a double dip recession is looming closer on the horizon. Europe is becoming a basket case. The US has printed mountains of extra money which will have to be mopped up sometime & their debt must be enormous. IMO worldwide economic hardship will certainly not boost the number of foreigners living in Phuket.
Actual car/truck sales so far in 2010 are higher than 2008 and 2009, and on par with 2007. Last stats indicate 620-650.000 new units in 2010. This makes 2nd hand transfers at LTD higher. I was at LTD twice last month, and both days long que for transfer ownership. Hours. Many foreigners are cutting back on expenses. Currency exchange rates decreases Thai baht amount available. Also agree some foreigners are being laid off work in LOS, and some just have lower income. Would have been very interesting to see present stats on WP compared to 2007-2009. Most foreigners here are not building a new house or improving exixting house presently, unlike what it looked like 3 years ago. Still I believe the foreign population in Phuket is increasing<BR> <BR>edit. I was 3 times in LTD last month for transfers, and all 3 times took more than 2 hours Edited by katabeachbum

Recently, on a Monday morning, I went to immigration for my 90 day check in. 3 officers were standing around chatting as they had nothing to do. I was out of there within a minute. I know someone who works there & he said the numbers visiting immigration are down quite considerably. A couple of car salesmen I know say they are finding it harder to make sales. A couple of weeks ago I went to renew a car registration & had it done within 2 minutes. I keep hearing stories of foreigners being laid off from their jobs. Many foreigners I know are cutting back on their expenses. None of these are a definitive indication to show a net decrease in foreigners but the trends do not look good. The threat of a double dip recession is looming closer on the horizon. Europe is becoming a basket case. The US has printed mountains of extra money which will have to be mopped up sometime & their debt must be enormous. IMO worldwide economic hardship will certainly not boost the number of foreigners living in Phuket.
Actual car/truck sales so far in 2010 are higher than 2008 and 2009, and on par with 2007. Last stats indicate 620-650.000 new units in 2010. This makes 2nd hand transfers at LTD higher. I was at LTD twice last month, and both days long que for transfer ownership. Hours. Many foreigners are cutting back on expenses. Currency exchange rates decreases Thai baht amount available. Also agree some foreigners are being laid off work in LOS, and some just have lower income. Would have been very interesting to see present stats on WP compared to 2007-2009. Most foreigners here are not building a new house or improving exixting house presently, unlike what it looked like 3 years ago. Still I believe the foreign population in Phuket is increasing<BR> <BR>edit. I was 3 times in LTD last month for transfers, and all 3 times took more than 2 hours

you said this only 2 days ago......One thing is for certain, farang population is increasing, not decreasing as you claim.

now you say..as above....i believe the population is increasing..whats next ??

still no provable info mate

Recently, on a Monday morning, I went to immigration for my 90 day check in. 3 officers were standing around chatting as they had nothing to do. I was out of there within a minute. I know someone who works there & he said the numbers visiting immigration are down quite considerably. A couple of car salesmen I know say they are finding it harder to make sales. A couple of weeks ago I went to renew a car registration & had it done within 2 minutes. I keep hearing stories of foreigners being laid off from their jobs. Many foreigners I know are cutting back on their expenses. None of these are a definitive indication to show a net decrease in foreigners but the trends do not look good.

The threat of a double dip recession is looming closer on the horizon. Europe is becoming a basket case. The US has printed mountains of extra money which will have to be mopped up sometime & their debt must be enormous. IMO worldwide economic hardship will certainly not boost the number of foreigners living in Phuket.

yes for sure this double dip recession leading to depression is basically only a matter of time now inevitable....thanks to all the greedy ba-tards out there

agreat equaliser for sure but the pain and suffering for many is going to be excutiating to say the least

another thing looming on the horizon IMO is the possibility/probability of muslim insurgents from the south combining with anti-government nutters to disrupt life in many 'hi profile touristy cities'' in thailand...phuket being high on their agenda ..scary stuff indeed.

Actual car/truck sales so far in 2010 are higher than 2008 and 2009, and on par with 2007. Last stats indicate 620-650.000 new units in 2010. This makes 2nd hand transfers at LTD higher. I was at LTD twice last month, and both days long que for transfer ownership. Hours. Many foreigners are cutting back on expenses. Currency exchange rates decreases Thai baht amount available. Also agree some foreigners are being laid off work in LOS, and some just have lower income. Would have been very interesting to see present stats on WP compared to 2007-2009. Most foreigners here are not building a new house or improving exixting house presently, unlike what it looked like 3 years ago. Still I believe the foreign population in Phuket is increasing<BR> <BR>edit. I was 3 times in LTD last month for transfers, and all 3 times took more than 2 hours

you said this only 2 days ago......One thing is for certain, farang population is increasing, not decreasing as you claim.

now you say..as above....i believe the population is increasing..whats next ??

still no provable info mate

I have shown indicators of why I think farang population is increasing (Increased carpurchases, homeleases, granted credits) while you still have providd nothing to indicate your claimed decrease

as said, proving the thai and farang population in Phuket is not of governments concern, so how can I or anyone else prove it

I do count much more foreigners driving their own (as opposite to rentalcar) car here now, compared to when I moved here 7,5 years ago. Is that one more indication?

I reckon the immigration office & as you said WP numbers would be the best indicator of increasing/decreasing expats in Phuket. Immigration will obviously show lower due to less tourists wanting to extend but immigration also handles many of us who stay here & I was astounded on the Monday morning I was there to see it so quiet. Thais are generally quite insular & are being led to believe all is rosy in the world which could explain the rising car sales as it is also quite easy for locals to get finance.

I reckon the immigration office & as you said WP numbers would be the best indicator of increasing/decreasing expats in Phuket. Immigration will obviously show lower due to less tourists wanting to extend but immigration also handles many of us who stay here & I was astounded on the Monday morning I was there to see it so quiet. Thais are generally quite insular & are being led to believe all is rosy in the world which could explain the rising car sales as it is also quite easy for locals to get finance.

Imm and WP numbers are interesting, but most farang I know living here never go to Imm (work offshore or overseas on/off) and dont have a thai WP.

I have shown indicators of why I think farang population is increasing (Increased carpurchases, homeleases, granted credits) while you still have providd nothing to indicate your claimed decrease

as said, proving the thai and farang population in Phuket is not of governments concern, so how can I or anyone else prove it

I do count much more foreigners driving their own (as opposite to rentalcar) car here now, compared to when I moved here 7,5 years ago. Is that one more indication?

agree with what you say above ;how can i or anyone else prove it...obviously not easy so your comment ; one thing for certain has no creedance at all in reality..so it is not certain..

all i said was this below..

some mates agreed that they thought the pop was slowly decreasing..i just posted their thoughts...they have no actual figures....nothing certain just thoughts

I have noticed the same thing as valantine, i have been to immigration twice in the last two months for annual extension and reentry permit.

Both times in and out in minutes

I agree, Immigration has become much more efficient. Both by the volunteers sorting out stuff before approaching the thais, and the thais. The female officer running 1st floor is running a tight service unlike ever before