Wheres A Cheap Indian?

KRS1

I've never been to the UK but I know some chef from the UK have to go to India to teach them how to make proper curry!.   Anyway, I think Royal India and the one at the Chedi are just as good to what I had in India (I've tried the food in India from the Taj in Varanasri to small hotel in the remote area).

Rang Mahal in Bangkok is BETTER than what I had at the Taj in Varanasri.

There are no good Indian restaurants in Chang Mai period.

When a business man in CMX imports a real Indian chef from (say) Bradford and opens a restaurant then that will be the one to frequent - not the present silly imitations.

Got to agree with that I'm afraid. After trying most of the Indian restaurants in CM, I concluded that, on the whole, dishes were rather generic and all very similar tasting, lacking any of the subtleties of decent Indian cuisine. I guess it depends on what you're used to really - I'm from Manchester, England where we have the famous Curry Mile, an area known to produce some of the best Asian food in the country but someone from India might find think the food there doesn't compare to what they're used to back home.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Pakistan used to be India, and Bangladesh used to be East Pakistan, I'd suggest you have a word with the local south Asians and ask them for their recommendations.

If I wanted British curry, I'd go where the Brits eat.

I've never been to the UK but I know some chef from the UK have to go to India to teach them how to make proper curry!. Anyway, I think Royal India and the one at the Chedi are just as good to what I had in India (I've tried the food in India from the Taj in Varanasri to small hotel in the remote area).

Rang Mahal in Bangkok is BETTER than what I had at the Taj in Varanasri.

I dont think you understand the british curry thing and really a guy from india would have to trained by a UK indian to make a proper curry adapted to the British taste which has evolved over the many years since the UK was invaded by indians Pakistanis and Bangladeshis they then adapted there currys and food to the british natives tastes and formed a completely unique menu of Currys distinctive to the UK

Hense the new national dish of the UK is now Indian Curry and curry is consumed more than fish and chips

I ate at Spicy Bollywood the other day for the first time and ordered a Vindaloo (in the uk thats reaal hot and one down from the hottest curry they make) i was then asked by the owner if I wanted it spicy ? :blink: Duhhhh of course I want it spicy its a Vindaloo however he politely educted me that Vindaloo does not mean spicy it just means curry with potaotes (we live and learn) so I asked for spicy but in reality it was not a vindaloo like from the UK which would of blew me head off instead it was nicely spicy but not as hot as I sometimes like.

Edited by FarangCravings

I dont think you understand the british curry thing and really a guy from india would have to trained by a UK indian to make a proper curry adapted to the British taste which has evolved over the many years since the UK was invaded by indians Pakistanis and Bangladeshis they then adapted there currys and food to the british natives tastes and formed a completely unique menu of Currys distinctive to the UK

Hense the new national dish of the UK is now Indian Curry and curry is consumed more than fish and chips

I ate at Spicy Bollywood the other day for the first time and ordered a Vindaloo (in the uk thats reaal hot and one down from the hottest curry they make) i was then asked by the owner if I wanted it spicy ? :blink: Duhhhh of course I want it spicy its a Vindaloo however he politely educted me that Vindaloo does not mean spicy it just means curry with potaotes (we live and learn) so I asked for spicy but in reality it was not a vindaloo like from the UK which would of blew me head off instead it was nicely spicy but not as hot as I sometimes like.

I think you'll find that the taste has evolved over the many years since we, the Brits, invaded India. The Brits brought back Indian food, along with Indian spices, Indian armed forces (who fought alongside us), Indian man servants etc. 'Educted' (sic), politely, of course.

Edited by OOB

When a business man in CMX imports a real Indian chef from (say) Bradford and opens a restaurant then that will be the one to frequent - not the present silly imitations.

There's an Indian chef at New Delhi, saw him....but the waiter is Burmese.

"There's an Indian chef at New Delhi" and that's the problem – as I said before you have to get a real Bangladeshi chef (from Bradford/Birmingham etc) and before anyone asks there are none in CM.

Also there is a small difference between a biryanni and a "sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes" if you understand Indian food :rolleyes:

just making sure YOU knew, as many wouldn't.

...and a Bangladeshi Chef is better than a real Indian chef, of which has to be from the UK to top it off....im sorry, but that is one of the most stupid comments ive ever read in my entire life.

I'm utterly stunned by the ignorance and attitude that comes with it.

Why do Brits always feel Indian food has to be about them and them alone....?

Its about authentic Indian Cuisine, i could care less about Brit Indian taste.

Why do Brits always feel Indian food has to be about them and them alone....?

Its about authentic Indian Cuisine, i could care less about Brit Indian taste.

Keep ya hair on mate no need to throw your toys out the pram :blink:

Its not that big of a deal theres lots of brits here and Indian food is a MAJOR influence in the UK however it is a twist on real indian cusine as you call it

There's an Indian chef at New Delhi, saw him....but the waiter is Burmese.

"There's an Indian chef at New Delhi" and that's the problem – as I said before you have to get a real Bangladeshi chef (from Bradford/Birmingham etc) and before anyone asks there are none in CM.

Also there is a small difference between a biryanni and a "sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes" if you understand Indian food :rolleyes:

just making sure YOU knew, as many wouldn't.

...and a Bangladeshi Chef is better than a real Indian chef, of which has to be from the UK to top it off....im sorry, but that is one of the most stupid comments ive ever read in my entire life.

I'm utterly stunned by the ignorance and attitude that comes with it.

Totally agree with Joe Pai, you need a good Bangladeshi Chef from the UK to make a decent curry, you can add me to your ignorant with attitude list as well.

Woah..lets have a reasonable discussion about Indian food please!

A few friends are heading down to Spicy Bollywood at some point tonight. Im not joining them, as i have eaten already, but will ask for their verdict and let you guys know.

Its worth noting that its a bit harsh to say there is no decent Indian Restaurant in Chiang Mai. Of course it all (scuz the pun) boils down to taste buds and preferences. I find its best to try familiar foods you enjoyed at "home" with a fresh perspective.

Anyway..most of the time in the UK guys would have downed a few lagers in any case, so maybe the mood and after lager cravings kicked in..so the food always tasted better anyway. Sorry! My bad! :lol:

I recently tried the mutton bryanni from a food cart at Chiang mai gate (look for the cresent moon and star on the sign and the ladies in moslem headscarfs) really tasty, 4 good sized chunks of mutton in spicy curry, served on safron rice for 70B, the beef or chicken is 35B. ....since you're lookin' for cheap.

very nice curry I was eating there a couple of times a week when i was in CM. My GF is vegitarian so she was able to order from the neighbouring yen tapo stand.. we were both happy

My friends went along to Spicy Bollywood's all you can eat buffet last night. 200 baht per person. About 5 different dishes, nan bread, and rice. The general verdict was that the food was pretty good. Not fab, but good. They said they would go back again for sure. They werent stingy on the ingredients. Plenty of nan bread too. Good service and friendly owner.

I recently tried the mutton bryanni from a food cart at Chiang mai gate (look for the cresent moon and star on the sign and the ladies in moslem headscarfs) really tasty, 4 good sized chunks of mutton in spicy curry, served on safron rice for 70B, the beef or chicken is 35B. ....since you're lookin' for cheap.

very nice curry I was eating there a couple of times a week when i was in CM. My GF is vegitarian so she was able to order from the neighbouring yen tapo stand.. we were both happy

what time do they open?

My friends went along to Spicy Bollywood's all you can eat buffet last night. 200 baht per person. About 5 different dishes, nan bread, and rice. The general verdict was that the food was pretty good. Not fab, but good. They said they would go back again for sure. They werent stingy on the ingredients. Plenty of nan bread too. Good service and friendly owner.

what kind of meat?

According to Britain's Food Standards Agency, the Indian food industry in the United Kingdom is worth £3.2 billion, accounts for two-thirds of all eating out and serves about 2.5 million British customers every week

-Wikipedia-

Besides I think the closest to genuine Indian (Tamil in this case) one get's in Penang - full stop!

and then what is "Indian Food"?

Biriyani is from the Moghuls, the persian "Pilaf".... then there is Northern, Eastern (Bengali), Southern, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Maharati, Goan, Gujarati, Saraswat, Sindhi, Assamese, Konkani cuisine and many more varieties, caused by the incredible ethnic variety of India!

English Indian Food is as close to Indian Food as a German Currywurst is to a Curry - simple as that!

I think, if well made, the local Massaman is pretty good and the Paneng or Red Curry...only that tHai don;t like "Roti" a lot...that why a roti in thai is a pancake...!

what time do they open?

they set up about 5-6 in the the evening and go on to quite late , they are at the west end (towards the park) of the food stalls in front of Chang Mai Gate market

Tried the place at chiang mai gate yesterday, got 3 big pieces of bone and a surprise at 4'o clock in the morning.

Walking around the city yesterday i found another place called 'Spice' off one of the side sois around LoyKroh, didn't look to inviting, but you never know whats inside. The sign said store and restaurant, so maybe they actually sell the ingredients also? Coming from the night bizarre you take the first left after crossing the klong and its on that road.

pretty ghetto looking, after the surprise at 4am lastnight i won't be experimenting for a while..any takers?

Tried the place at chiang mai gate yesterday, got 3 big pieces of bone and a surprise at 4'o clock in the morning.

Walking around the city yesterday i found another place called 'Spice' off one of the side sois around LoyKroh, didn't look to inviting, but you never know whats inside. The sign said store and restaurant, so maybe they actually sell the ingredients also? Coming from the night bizarre you take the first left after crossing the klong and its on that road.

pretty ghetto looking, after the surprise at 4am lastnight i won't be experimenting for a while..any takers?

I went to the CM gate bryanni stand yesterday also, different ladies working, hopefully only on Sundays, I got one big mutton bone and another little pece of meatannoyed.gif, the time before the usual staff put the curry in a seperate little bag with plenty of meat and extra sauce...... I will try again soon and see if that option is still worthwhile.

IMHO The Chedi serves the best Indian in town.

I'm a curry fanatic and its the only place in Thailand that I have been to where the food is as good (if not better) than most Indian Reastaurants in the UK.

Not cheap though, around 600b pp plus service and tax...but then it IS The Chedi, its not just the meal its the service and ambience that you pay for as well, but I always have a great night out when we go there, and am happy to pay for it :)

I went to the CM gate bryanni stand yesterday also, different ladies working, hopefully only on Sundays, I got one big mutton bone and another little pece of meatannoyed.gif, the time before the usual staff put the curry in a seperate little bag with plenty of meat and extra sauce...... I will try again soon and see if that option is still worthwhile.

Very, very Indian!

In India one wil encounter just the same, cause the food is always cooked for a long time (overcooked in my opinion) the meat will all fall off the bones and more or less desintgrate into the Curry. Very Indian!

What kind of "Curry" is a "Mutton Biryani"?

Biryani is a Rice dish saffron.... not a Curry!

Resembling something like this:

e39a296a.jpg

A well prepared Birayni is far superior to the Thai "Flied Lice"...concoction.

It may contain Nuts, Raisins, any kind of meat (usually no beef though) , fish or shrimp and sometimes topped with flakes of Silver Leaves...for decoration.

You can be fairly sure that the Indian Chef from Bradford will be Pakistani

went to Bollywood on Moon Muang Road last Friday - buffet 200 baht per person. Great value and good food. the chef is Indian - and so it the owner Vicky. There is another buffet this coming Friday 6.30 until 10pm at 200 baht - cannot go wrong..

I'm a curry fanatic and its the only place in Thailand that I have been to where the food is as good (if not better) than most Indian Reastaurants in the UK.

Not cheap though, around 600b pp plus service and tax...but then it IS The Chedi, its not just the meal its the service and ambience that you pay for as well, but I always have a great night out when we go there, and am happy to pay for it :)

Thats a helluva statement better than most indian restaurants in the UK and not really accurate now is it ? In Birmingham alone we have a 2 miles strip with more than 200 Curry Houses and I dont beleive you have eaten in all of them to make such a statement Bristol also has Hundred as do other big cities.

The Chedi may be nice but sitting in 4 star surroundings eating a curry then paying 600 baht just dont sound right

You might be right in saying its the closest to a UK curry but not saying better than most indian restaurants in the UK unless you have eaten in most of the restaurants in the UK and we both know you have not.

Edited by FarangCravings

He did say "IMHO"

And we all know that not all of those hundreds of Curry Houses in British cities are great places to eat.

I look forward to going back to Yorkshire for a good Bradford curry, but the sucess rate IMHO is about 50%, half of them being fairly ordinary and forgettable.

The Brits brought back Indian food, along with Indian spices, Indian armed forces (who fought alongside us), Indian man servants etc. 'Educted' (sic), politely, of course.

Actually, when it first came back, it was only really consumed by the upper classes, who considered it very fashionable. Sort of like Sol beer during the Yuppie boom on Wall Street.

Having colonial military in the distant family, I am still to this day very partial to the kedgeree I used to eat as a child (and funnily enough I still cook it now and my own son loves it). It was primarily a breakfast dish, but you can eat it any time, hot or cold as is your preference.

It's a doddle to make yet very, very tasty. I'm salivating at the mere thought. :blink:

3072_MEDIUM.jpg

There's a simple recipe at the Beeb site here:

Quick Kedgeree recipe

It uses Salmon which is fine, although I prefer smoked Haddock or Halibut myself.

I am, I'm actually drooling!

:D

Thats a helluva statement better than most indian restaurants in the UK and not really accurate now is it ? In Birmingham alone we have a 2 miles strip with more than 200 Curry Houses and I dont beleive you have eaten in all of them to make such a statement Bristol also has Hundred as do other big cities.

The Chedi may be nice but sitting in 4 star surroundings eating a curry then paying 600 baht just dont sound right

You might be right in saying its the closest to a UK curry but not saying better than most indian restaurants in the UK unless you have eaten in most of the restaurants in the UK and we both know you have not.

Point taken FC....I'll just s that it's in my top 5 Indian eating establishments worldwide. Plus if I am happy to pay 600B for a meal then I will.

OK?

Plus I've never been anywhere near Birmingham except passing through on a train, but from what you say it must be "Curry Paradise"...now thats a good name for an indian restaurant :rolleyes:

Very, very Indian!

In India one wil encounter just the same, cause the food is always cooked for a long time (overcooked in my opinion) the meat will all fall off the bones and more or less desintgrate into the Curry. Very Indian!

What kind of "Curry" is a "Mutton Biryani"?

Biryani is a Rice dish saffron.... not a Curry!

Resembling something like this:

e39a296a.jpg

A well prepared Birayni is far superior to the Thai "Flied Lice"...concoction.

It may contain Nuts, Raisins, any kind of meat (usually no beef though) , fish or shrimp and sometimes topped with flakes of Silver Leaves...for decoration.

Yes, the mutton curry they make is quite good tasting, they serve it with their yellow rice and call it biryani, it is long cooked and the meat is very tender, unfortunatly they served me the bone without the meat! Being this is a moslem, not hindu food cart ,they also sell beef. This is street food, I hope the friendly regular ladies have not been replaced by these unsmiling stingy ones....

too high class for me, i like to get down and dirty and use my hands...like it was meant to be eaten.

taste better that way.