Reversing Existing Doors & Frames

klikster

I just moved into an okay house, but all three bedroom doors are hung backward. They open into the main room. One actually partially blocks a bathroom door when open. I want to change them .. basically rotate the entire assembly 180 degrees. The swings work out fine that way.

I prefer to not destroy the frames (typical heavy wood), but I worry even more about the concrete walls.

I assume that they are set in place with construction adhesives? I can't find any spike heads.

Anyone have any tips and methods for DIY?.

Edited by klikster

Normally nails are driven into the outside of the door frame then the walls are done. also the frame will most likely extend into the floor. It might be easier to router out new insets on the bedroom side and leave the door in place.

Normally nails are driven into the outside of the door frame then the walls are done. also the frame will most likely extend into the floor. It might be easier to router out new insets on the bedroom side and leave the door in place.

They should be held in place with nails or maybe even screws, but so often they are simply a tight push fit in which case if you can cut down the stonework on the sides first with an angle cutter and they should drop out. If you damage the frames new hardwood frames are not expensive from 500 to 1000 baht at all Home build shops. The frames will be let into into the cement floor by around 5cm.

I just moved into an okay house, but all three bedroom doors are hung backward. They open into the main room. One actually partially blocks a bathroom door when open. I want to change them .. basically rotate the entire assembly 180 degrees. The swings work out fine that way.

I prefer to not destroy the frames (typical heavy wood), but I worry even more about the concrete walls.

I assume that they are set in place with construction adhesives? I can't find any spike heads.

Anyone have any tips and methods for DIY?.

The easy way around this is to do what was done to our Maids Room Door, I wanted it to open out to give her more room. Actually I got the local furniture maker to do it...it didn't cost that much.

He made up a piece that fitted into the rebate and formed a new rebate, but of course on the other side. He then took some off each side and the top of the door to make it fit the 'smaller' frame, re-cut the hinge slots etc. Had it been a standard UK frame then it would just have been a matter of moving the bead. Note...He didn't need to cut a huge amount off the door..Thai chippies tend to leave a little gap all the way around.

If you want a photo to see exactly what was done PM me...edit

Edited by John45

My second approach is to do something similar to what BkkBill suggested. I think I could probably manage with a router. Not sure how close I can get into the corners though. I suppose a wood chisel might get the rest done?

Destroying a frame is not a big issue for me .. assuming I don't damage a wall in the process.

Edited by klikster

Many thanks to bkkbill, John45 and Rimmer.

I may try the router approach .. depending on the price of a router .. perfect excuse to buy a shiny new noisemaker. ;)

Otherwise, John's last post makes a lot of sense because of some termite damage to the existing frames and doors.

Cute idea. Remove the part of the frame that stops the door then have a carpenter shop build frames to go inside. The door frames I have seen are solidly anchored into the concrete walls, not to mention buried into the concrete floors.