Ipad Problem

astral

I have had the chance to play with a friend's IPAD and can confirm what I wonderful piece of engineering

and software it is.

How ever having recently had to rebuild the SW on a notebook after what appeared to be a hard disk

problem, but was later traced to faulty memory. I was left wondering how could I do this on the IPAD?

There is no support in the IPAD for external media, like DVD/USB disk/USB stick..................

only wireless internet. Not much use if the machine is dead in the water.

The only recourse would be the support centre and no doubt, a large bill.

Does anyone have any experience of recovery procedures for the IPAD?

He is thinking like a pc and asking a pc question. If he had an iphone he would already know the answer. Like Abrak said, connect to pc and restore, and restore the backup of all your media and apps and files inside those apps. You dont go to a support center. The beauty of the iphone/ipad is it is relatively simple and if there is a problem all you gotta do is restore and it fixes it.

Ok ok ok I'll answer in pc language: Lets pretend you had a virus on your windows 7 pc that completely froze your pc, you could not use virus software or anything, you would have to reinstall windows. The iphone/ipad is like that only all your data should be saved and easily restored when you "reinstall" the ipad leaving it the same before the need to fix it.

When you connect your Ipad or Iphone to your com via itunes to download stuff, you periodically make a backup of your device's contents. Then if you have any problem at all, you just plug it in to the com, turn on itunes, and click on restore. Voila, your device is back up and running!

He is thinking like a pc and asking a pc question. If he had an iphone he would already know the answer. Like Abrak said, connect to pc and restore, and restore the backup of all your media and apps and files inside those apps. You dont go to a support center. The beauty of the iphone/ipad is it is relatively simple and if there is a problem all you gotta do is restore and it fixes it.

Ok ok ok I'll answer in pc language: Lets pretend you had a virus on your windows 7 pc that completely froze your pc, you could not use virus software or anything, you would have to reinstall windows. The iphone/ipad is like that only all your data should be saved and easily restored when you "reinstall" the ipad leaving it the same before the need to fix it.

Ah so an ipad is not even a stand alone thing quite expensive then.

Let met talk pc language for you too. If you have 2 pc's you can easily backup your own pc too. And when there are problems you just take the hd out (there are trays for that) and write an image back. Just as easy.

But if you have just 1 pc you can still get your pc to work by reinstalling, however if you have only an ipad and no pc you cant make a backup and are screwed when anything goes wrong.

Sounds like an expensive toy to me.

For the Iphone i can understand it because its not a pc however an ipad gets real close to being an computer and as such should have standalone restore capabilities.

Edited by robblok

No thats another mistake the critics do. The ipad is NOT a pc, its an entirely new creation that has never been done before, nobody ever called it a pc or inferred it was a stand alone product. This is why there are so many criticisms... comparing it to this, comparing it to that, something like this has never existed before, but I bet you in the near future there will be all kinds of devices like this all spawned from the first of its kind (no bootup, no load times, can hold easily in one hand and do work standing up).... it CAN replace another mobile device if most of your needs are simple like mine but if you need to do something serious then you will have to stick to a pc or good laptop. By serious I mean heavy video editing, professional document creation etc.. for those things I work at home on my beast. But to create easy and relatively simple but still good looking documents I can do that on the BTS with my ipad. Or even basic video editing but nothing I can send to Cannes. The ipad will never replace a high end laptop for high end work.

No thats another mistake the critics do. The ipad is NOT a pc, its an entirely new creation that has never been done before, nobody ever called it a pc or inferred it was a stand alone product. This is why there are so many criticisms... comparing it to this, comparing it to that, something like this has never existed before, but I bet you in the near future there will be all kinds of devices like this all spawned from the first of its kind (no bootup, no load times, can hold easily in one hand and do work standing up).... it CAN replace another mobile device if most of your needs are simple like mine but if you need to do something serious then you will have to stick to a pc or good laptop. By serious I mean heavy video editing, professional document creation etc.. for those things I work at home on my beast. But to create easy and relatively simple but still good looking documents I can do that on the BTS with my ipad. Or even basic video editing but nothing I can send to Cannes. The ipad will never replace a high end laptop for high end work.

Call it a mistake.. i call it a difference of opinion. Why have an pc and an ipad.. as an ipad is just e weak version of laptop. While you can use a laptop standalone and an ipad not. Anyway some people will like it others won't that is a good thing else we all like the same thing.

No I totally understand what you mean. What it comes down to, for a persons choice, is whether he needs the power of pc (assuming very good laptop) in a portable model at the cost of bigger, heavier, unweildier, slower and more complicated which someone like me does not. I prefer, smaller, lighter, easy to hold and work standing up or in ANY position, instant boot up, instant loading, very simple to use (really this thing was made for dummies) and still churns out professional and beautiful looking work. I know it doesn't compare to a pc, I love my pc, but for on the go work or lounging around work/leisure it is superior for what I need to do. I wouldn't be talking like this if I was a video editor or needed to make in design documents or wanted to play world of warcraft, I'd need a good laptop for that, but I wouldn't be able to work standing up on the BTS either. It depends really on what you need it to do and how you want to do it. The ipad for me and many people is perfect for our lifestyles and way more convenient that a laptop. The ipad has literally skyrocketed my productivity, I'm always working now, every spare minute anywhere is no longer wasted. A laptop could never do that for me.

Sorry I meant to throw in that another of the sacrifices you make in using a convenient tool like the ipad is that it is not stand alone (on top of the other things that pcs can do) Like you said.

Edited by TheLaughingMan

No I totally understand what you mean. What it comes down to, for a persons choice, is whether he needs the power of pc (assuming very good laptop) in a portable model at the cost of bigger, heavier, unweildier, slower and more complicated which someone like me does not. I prefer, smaller, lighter, easy to hold and work standing up or in ANY position, instant boot up, instant loading, very simple to use (really this thing was made for dummies) and still churns out professional and beautiful looking work. I know it doesn't compare to a pc, I love my pc, but for on the go work or lounging around work/leisure it is superior for what I need to do. I wouldn't be talking like this if I was a video editor or needed to make in design documents or wanted to play world of warcraft, I'd need a good laptop for that, but I wouldn't be able to work standing up on the BTS either. It depends really on what you need it to do and how you want to do it. The ipad for me and many people is perfect for our lifestyles and way more convenient that a laptop. The ipad has literally skyrocketed my productivity, I'm always working now, every spare minute anywhere is no longer wasted. A laptop could never do that for me.

Sorry I meant to throw in that another of the sacrifices you make in using a convenient tool like the ipad is that it is not stand alone (on top of the other things that pcs can do) Like you said.

Then for you its a great thing, i am ome of those guys who even hate's lap tops. I work behind a tilted 24 inch and a normal 25 inch screen both connected to my pc. I need a setup like this for my accounting work (one for the documents tilted one and one for the accounting software). I never liked the small keyboards on laptops and the only time i use a laptop is when i go on holliday inside Thailand and want to keep in touch with my clients. But for work i would not use it.

But that is what i meant with we are all different.