Kenyan Woman Arrested For Smuggling ‘Ice’ At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Kenyan arrested for smuggling 'ice' at airport

gallery_327_1086_16005.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Kenyan woman was arrested Monday at Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport for smuggling 2.6 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as ‘ice,’ worth over Bt7 million into the kingdom.

Barbra Wabui was nabbed at the international arrival terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport after flying from Ethiopia by Ethiopian Airlines.

Following baggage inspection, narcotics suppression police found 2.6 kg of crystal meth valued at Bt7.6 million (US$230,000) in her baggage and seized the drug.

Ms Wabui said she was hired by an African drug trafficker to carry the ‘ice’ from Mali in western Africa, and concealed the illicit drug in her baggage and left for Thailand.

After arriving in Bangkok, she intended to travel to the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh to hand over the narcotics to a local drug dealer.

According to the initial investigation, she did not reveal amount she had been paid, but police found Bt50,000 (over $1,500) concealed in her bag.

Initially, the Kenyan was charged with possessing the illicit drugs ‘ice’ for sale and smuggling the drugs into the kingdom. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-12

Granted she is a mule , low down in the drug system. But she and her fellows mules are a critical part of the transport system and with the number of arrests that have been made recently, Bangkok seems to be a destination or at least a transit point. I really wonder what number make it undetected. One of those caught said it was her/his 3 or 4th trip, before being caught. The amounts seem small, but then I have no idea of value etc. The drug busts coming out of South America, many times, seem to talk about several tons.

DRUG SMUGGLING

Airport ice bust follows tip off

By The Nation

A Kenyan woman was arrested Monday for allegedly smuggling 2.6 kilograms of "ice," crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride, worth BT7.8 million.

Following a tipoff that a passenger on Air Ethiopia flight EL608, was smuggling drugs into Thailand, police arrested suspect Barbra Wabue, 29, at Suvarnabhumi Airport while she was about to take another plane to Cambodia's Phnom Penh City. According to police, the bag of ice was found in her travel bag, which she then claimed to have collected from an African man without knowing the drug was hidden inside.

She was initially charged with having the drug in possession with intention to sell and bringing the drug into Thailand without permission.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-12

I still don't get why people smuggle such low quality drugs, unless its a set up.

There is another possibility, while she was carrying 2.6kg, there was someone else carrying 20kg.

They tip off the police to catch the 'smaller" mule while the 'bigger" one on the same flight gets 100% safe passage.

PS. It is also possible to have more then 1 "big" mules, but all the attention turns to 1, so all others are safe. 2.6kg is a small price to pay if you bringing in 100 times more.

They tip off the police to catch the 'smaller" mule while the 'bigger" one on the same flight gets 100% safe passage.

PS. It is also possible to have more then 1 "big" mules, but all the attention turns to 1, so all others are safe. 2.6kg is a small price to pay if you bringing in 100 times more.

I wonder just how long it will take the authorities to cotton on to that fact and stop and search every passenger on the same flight as these sacrificial offerings?

The problem with that is that the customs officers will be treading on the toes of the king pins in the trade and that will do their promotion prospects no good at all.

Sit at your desk, do as you're told, ask no questions and your bonus will be paid end of the month as usual.

I wonder just how long it will take the authorities to cotton on to that fact and stop and search every passenger on the same flight as these sacrificial offerings?

The problem with that is that the customs officers will be treading on the toes of the king pins in the trade and that will do their promotion prospects no good at all.

Sit at your desk, do as you're told, ask no questions and your bonus will be paid end of the month as usual.

Hang on a minute. We seem to be suffering a breakdown of logic here.

How do you know that this woman was the only person searched? Likely they did search every passenger.

Just because there is a 'sacrificial mule' how would that reduce the chances of the other mules getting caught?

This whole 'sacrificial mule' theory seems to be a load of BS to me.

..I fully agreed...just visit the Sukhumvit areas, they have become the African territories at night where drugs can be easily available... :ph34r::ph34r:

How do you know that this woman was the only person searched? Likely they did search every passenger.

Just because there is a 'sacrificial mule' how would that reduce the chances of the other mules getting caught?

You absolutely right, there is a break down of logic

1. airport customs never search anyone. How often do you fly? I fly 8 times per year for the past 7 years and never been stopped, or xrayed or searched.

2. Once customs are tipped off, this means they are told that a woman on a flight number xxxx is caring drugs, most likely also her name, so logically they would be waiting for her at the passport control to then follow her to search.

Saying all of the above, it does not mean this was the case, however is a possibility and has been known practice and is the easiest way to smuggle large quantity's.

Sacrificing 1 mule clearly gives other mules clear passage-do not have to be a rocket scientist to follow this logic.

Chuang- so do you assume or propose they all smuggle drugs to then sell? Are you that oblivious? do you not know there is a tobacco factory that takes up land the size of 3 stadiums just around the corner and most of their workers are African.

Do you approach every single African in Sukhumvit to confirm they selling drugs?

Do you need 100 people to smuggle 0.5 kg of drugs to start selling? could it not be that 1 brings in 100kg and then distributes it?

Why is it that there are so many people who like to argue with pretty much any post others make? Really makes me wonder if you know anything about the trade or simply like to blow smoke in the air.

Edited by kuffki

'Sacrificial mule' is one of those urban legends that get passed around, not especially since two 'innocent white girls' claimed this as their defence when they got caught here some 20 years ago...

The 'tips' that is reported in the news is often from other police agencies etc, and not from some anon phone call.

'Sacrificial mule' is one of those urban legends that get passed around, not especially since two 'innocent white girls' claimed this as their defence when they got caught here some 20 years ago...

The 'tips' that is reported in the news is often from other police agencies etc, and not from some anon phone call.

Really? and where does it say that the tip came from another police agency?

Also where does it say how "other" police agency came to have the information?

Also any other explanation as to why "other" police agency did not make arrest prior to boarding the plane? or did they receive or find that information once she boarded the plane and it was in the air?

Also any other explanation as to why "other" police agency did not make arrest prior to boarding the plane? or did they receive or find that information once she boarded the plane and it was in the air?

Where in the post did I say that this case had a specific set of details? We cannot know them since it wasn't reported.

However, if you ask customs officials or read old news you can sometimes get the info, especially in the follow-up articles.

Even if it is mostly drowned in posts by some 5 users that keep posting that the tips was from the dealers themselfes to expose a small mule to get a big one through.

So ok, please supply the info published that say this is the case now or in most other cases...

Where in the post did I say that this case had a specific set of details? We cannot know them since it wasn't reported.

However, if you ask customs officials or read old news you can sometimes get the info, especially in the follow-up articles.

Even if it is mostly drowned in posts by some 5 users that keep posting that the tips was from the dealers themselfes to expose a small mule to get a big one through.

So ok, please supply the info published that say this is the case now or in most other cases...

That is easy my friend.

1. Most if not all tip offs come from informants, as otherwise police have no way of knowing who, when or what.

Conveniently enough tip offs like this, always seem to come when the mule or smuggler has left the original country, One would really have to wonder why would a tip off come at such a time, why not before, why not after why at the time of being in the air.

The answer is because informants in cases like this, usually work both sides. So tip offs are used to either remove competition or create a decoy. Very rarely it is just a genuine tip off, because when it is, person is arrested in the country of origin.

2. I will stress out again, as i said in the first post-it may not be the case but from my experience and knowledge it is how it works. I am not prepared to go into my experience, but i will tell you i have had the pleasure of front row sits (no i was not a mule or dealer)

Keep in mind police are not magicians and Thai police are not even "karaoke singers" This world is a dirty world and "big boys" really do not care about small pons they use.

Just think-create a distraction while real deal goes down. Very very commonly used especially with as lazy agency's as BIB

That is easy my friend.

1. Most if not all tip offs come from informants, as otherwise police have no way of knowing who, when or what.

Conveniently enough tip offs like this, always seem to come when the mule or smuggler has left the original country, One would really have to wonder why would a tip off come at such a time, why not before, why not after why at the time of being in the air.

The answer is because informants in cases like this, usually work both sides. So tip offs are used to either remove competition or create a decoy. Very rarely it is just a genuine tip off, because when it is, person is arrested in the country of origin.

2. I will stress out again, as i said in the first post-it may not be the case but from my experience and knowledge it is how it works. I am not prepared to go into my experience, but i will tell you i have had the pleasure of front row sits (no i was not a mule or dealer)

Keep in mind police are not magicians and Thai police are not even "karaoke singers" This world is a dirty world and "big boys" really do not care about small pons they use.

Just think-create a distraction while real deal goes down. Very very commonly used especially with as lazy agency's as BIB

A repost of the myth doesn't count as proof of the fact.

A repost of the myth doesn't count as proof of the fact.

Well in that case will just have to fly to Africa, offer your service as a mule and hope that you are the only one on the plane back and the "mysticall tip" does not come through

Or, let me get in contact with the manufacture's (drugs that is) and ask them to publish a manual on how to smuggle drugs-tips and tricks, that should be sufficient proof for you i hope

Will be something like "drug smuggling for dummies"

Or you can post your sources?

Since you seem to have inside knowledge that doesn't go in line what I have heard from custom officials or read in the news.

Yeah as i mentioned before. Drug dealers tips and tricks book

What you have heard from customs officials????? really? i always thought it was classified to discuss such cases with civilians.

How often to you have a few beers with customs officials? and of course news always prints the real facts and information on drug smuggling, drug manufacturing and dealing, because reporters have free access to the people involved who are always open to give an interview. Sort of like an insider tips.wacko.gif

PS. and of course mules who got busted were well aware of the full story, so their confessions are totally factual

Edited by kuffki

You absolutely right, there is a break down of logic

1. airport customs never search anyone. How often do you fly? I fly 8 times per year for the past 7 years and never been stopped, or xrayed or searched.

2. Once customs are tipped off, this means they are told that a woman on a flight number xxxx is caring drugs, most likely also her name, so logically they would be waiting for her at the passport control to then follow her to search.

Saying all of the above, it does not mean this was the case, however is a possibility and has been known practice and is the easiest way to smuggle large quantity's.

Sacrificing 1 mule clearly gives other mules clear passage-do not have to be a rocket scientist to follow this logic.

Chuang- so do you assume or propose they all smuggle drugs to then sell? Are you that oblivious? do you not know there is a tobacco factory that takes up land the size of 3 stadiums just around the corner and most of their workers are African.

Do you approach every single African in Sukhumvit to confirm they selling drugs?

Do you need 100 people to smuggle 0.5 kg of drugs to start selling? could it not be that 1 brings in 100kg and then distributes it?

Why is it that there are so many people who like to argue with pretty much any post others make? Really makes me wonder if you know anything about the trade or simply like to blow smoke in the air.

When's the last time you arrived in Bangkok on a flight from Ethiopia? Why don't you take a look sometime, and see how many people they stop.

"Sacrificing 1 mule clearly gives other mules clear passage-do not have to be a rocket scientist to follow this logic."

Why so? Are you saying they only have capacity to search one person per flight? They catch someone and then ignore everybody else? Ridiculous. Do they only check one passenger's visa too?

'Why is it that there are so many people who like to argue with pretty much any post others make?'

It's called critical analysis. It's nothing personal, believe me.

By the way, I fly at least once a week. Does that make me right? If you don't believe me, PM me and I'll send you a copy of my passport pages.