Need Help About Making Access Points / Wifi

livinthailandos

First here is my situation. I have 1 wifi N modem and built in router. I have this placed inbetween 2 office buildings to be used for a network like mostly just printing documents and for accessing internet. All the computer are using a Wireless N card as well. so to get maximum distance, my question is.

Would it be possible for me to add another wireless router, input the same SSID, password, and have this router in the one office. Use the current wifi modem / router in another office but have both of these sharing the same internet access. If so how do I got about setting this up. Look forward to all your help. In total there are only 4 computers but the 2 offices are separted due to different needs and different work environments.

I used to do what you're saying and as I remember I took a CAT 5 cable out of the one of the output ports of the modem/router ran the cable into port 1 of the second router. Not the internet port! Then you also need to go into the router setup and disable the router function so it's not looking to connect to the internet. You will also need to readdress it from 192.168.1 to something like 196.168.2. Set you SSID to the same as you modem/router's. They used to make and I'm sure they still do, just a wireless access point, that doesn't have the router. It's just a "switch" and wireless access. Probably less money too.

Edited by Jimi007

You should be able to configure the second router as a wireless access point slaved to the first

router connected to the internet, but without the cable that Jimi is suggesting.

It may take a little fiddling to get the paramaters right, but it can be done.

My master router is beside my computer in the office and a slave AP connected to

my Dreambox for streaming data, in the living room.

Whilst setting up have both boxes beside your computer. Use wireless access to the main router

and have a cable to the slave. Open each router in a different page of your browser.

Once setup is done the cable can be disconnected and the slave moved to the other office.