Health Insurance

scorpio1945

My RN fiance is taking a sabattical from work so I think I need to get her some insurance. Probably will go through the TV insurance link. The guy I corresponded with doesn't appear to try to sell me more than I need. My question is has anyone had good experience with their company. I have heard that AIA is a bit overzelous in requiring exactly the right kind of paperwork before paying. Since TV's rules disallow negative specific company comments, I am looking for just the positive or related advise.

Thanks

• Like 1

My RN fiance is taking a sabattical from work so I think I need to get her some insurance. Probably will go through the TV insurance link. The guy I corresponded with doesn't appear to try to sell me more than I need. My question is has anyone had good experience with their company. I have heard that AIA is a bit overzelous in requiring exactly the right kind of paperwork before paying. Since TV's rules disallow negative specific company comments, I am looking for just the positive or related advise.

Thanks

I would have thought your fiance would have Thai national insurance from the Social welfare.

If she has and has quit her job, she can keep the Social welfare by contributing to it at a reduced rate.

details at http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/index.html

Thanks

I would have thought your fiance would have Thai national insurance from the Social welfare.

If she has and has quit her job, she can keep the Social welfare by contributing to it at a reduced rate.

details at http://www.sso.go.th.../eng/index.html

I nor she wants to have to use a public (CR) hospital for any treatment. She want to be able to go to Sirburin or Overbrook. I would not expect her to go to a place I would not use. She was a head nurse at Sirburin so I assume she knows what she is talking about.

• Like 1

Thanks

details at http://www.sso.go.th.../eng/index.html

I nor she wants to have to use a public (CR) hospital for any treatment. She want to be able to go to Sirburin or Overbrook. I would not expect her to go to a place I would not use. She was a head nurse at Sirburin so I assume she knows what she is talking about.

I have full cover at Sriburin hospital with my social welfare card.

Wonder why she would select the Thai goverment hospital instead of Sriburin where she works?

In Chiang Rai all social welfare card holders can nominate the hospital that they care to use, either the Goverment hospital or Sriburin.

Overbrook hospital is not a member of the social welfare fund.

Even Thai friends that have gone abroad for a few years will keep contributing to this fund as it only costs them 432 baht and they will still be able to avail of it when they return.

Somebody needs to reread the OPs post. ;)

maybe someone or other should read the social security rules....It does provide private cover at nominated hospitals and can be continued even if you stop work. It is not a government hospital scheme,

The OP clearly said neither he nor his fiance want to have to use a public (CR) hospital. She wants to use Sirburin or Overbrook. So why the stupid question "Wonder why she would select a Thai government hospital instead of Sriburin where she works?" I'm only saying, somebody is a little confused. ;)

Somebody needs to reread the OPs post. ;)

Snide remark from someone who :(should know better.

Grow up

What's the matter with you? Every time this guy opens his mouth you're in his face.

Haven't you got anything better to do with your day than stalking people?

I think why people are confused in this thread is that most of what people say is actually correct but doesn't answer the question the OP was asking which I interpret to be how can he give his fiance the type of insurance / medical care that he himself would use (and not some lower level of care that she could get automatically being a Thai ex worker)

My now non working wife also can use the Sriburin hosipital on her 400+ baht per month insurance she pays HOWEVER when we went there yesterday for her to see a doctor about her cough, there were so many sick people already queuing up to see the insufficient amount of doctors on duty that we didn't bother and went to the chemist/pharmacy whatever it is called here instead, so I too would like to "upgrade" her (in THIS respect only of course :rolleyes: )

To get back on point. My fiance says that her understanding is that if she had Social insurance that she would be given a ward bed, not be given the best RXs and not have a choice of doctors. Also in some cases she would be sent home as an outpatient as opposed to being admitted. She is used to the best care as she has been a working RN for the past 11 years. I also would not expect her to recieve any less care than I would expect for myself.

My confusion at this point is wether it is practical to get social insurance and then pay extra to provide things like privite room etc.

Dindong what has been your experience if any.

Still would appreciate specific company positive experiences fi any.

Edited by scorpio1945

Have you checked out the 'Insurance in Thailand' forum? Perhaps you would find a broader and more knowledgable audience there, to field your question. I would not expect that CR would be outside the normal parameters of the rest of the country.

I can't be of any help because I have self-medicated for the entire 35 years of my tenure in Thailand. That is an entire different story, however. ;)

Have you checked out the 'Insurance in Thailand' forum? Perhaps you would find a broader and more knowledgable audience there, to field your question. I would not expect that CR would be outside the normal parameters of the rest of the country.

I can't be of any help because I have self-medicated for the entire 35 years of my tenure in Thailand. That is an entire different story, however. ;)

I assume you mean self insured i.e. assumed the risk yourself. That is also an option for me. Have already surfed TVs previous posts. Wanted a Sriburin and Overbrook outlook.

I assume you mean self insured i.e. assumed the risk yourself. That is also an option for me. Have already surfed TVs previous posts. Wanted a Sriburin and Overbrook outlook.

No I actually meant self-medicated. Early on in Bangkok, I developed a good working relationship with a pharmacist that I trusted. Together we would self prescribe for what ever ailments I might encounter. Cut out the middle man, as it were.

The only time I ever went to a doctor or hospital was when I broke my leg, in my mid thirties, while on the job at the Regent Hotel. They took care of that, of course.

At my wife's urging we did have physicals, as a sort of benchmark, in Bangkok about ten years ago and then again more recently here in the Rai. So I guess you could say I have assumed the risk for myself and now my wife.

Even though my uncle got rich as the CEO of a few major insurance companies during his career, I have never trusted the business model. Even with mandatory auto insurance I never did anything but pay in. I'm not that interested in paying in so that others can take out. I suppose that is not very generous of me but there it is.

maybe you could talk to the hospital or have your significant other talk with the billing folks since she worked there and find out what companies they deal with and who pays the biggest percentage. Who ever they like dealing with is probally a good bet.

To get back on point. My fiance says that her understanding is that if she had Social insurance that she would be given a ward bed, not be given the best RXs and not have a choice of doctors. Also in some cases she would be sent home as an outpatient as opposed to being admitted. She is used to the best care as she has been a working RN for the past 11 years. I also would not expect her to recieve any less care than I would expect for myself.

My confusion at this point is wether it is practical to get social insurance and then pay extra to provide things like privite room etc.

Dindong what has been your experience if any.

Still would appreciate specific company positive experiences fi any.

Have you heard of Thaihealth insurance??

There are very good and less expemsive premium comparing with AIA an of course less paper work.

Have a look at www.thaihealth.co.th

For social security insurance, it is less expensive and obviously less effective when it comes to treatment option.

For instance, if you have ankle sprain and need NSAID,they will give you simple NSAID that mess your stomach up while private health insured will be treated with celebrex or arcoxia.

Good Luck