Baking A Cake Without An Appliance

Svenn

I found a few threads about various appliances that can bake goods, but is there a way to do it with just pots and pans or a little brick alcove or something? I've seen dutch ovens work effectively while camping in the US, can I just do that? (put hot coals on the top of a sealed pot), or does the thinness of Thai pots not make that possible?

I have seen recipes whereby you can bake a cheesecake in a rice cooker. I guess that you can do other types of cake in there as well. Try googling your type of cake, and see how it can be prepared and cooked.

i think ovens require an enclosure of hot air, as opposed to frying which just heats from below. why i can't just put a lid on a frying pan and put on low heat, i don't know, but i tried it before and it didn't work.

greek portable oven, 1,600 BC:

800px-MuseAcrotiriItem160-6648-1.jpg

post-22569-031267200 1279223175_thumb.jpMy Wife and I have this 'Mini-bowl oven'. It cooks wonderful pies, cakes, roast chicken, lamb and anything else someone would choose to cook in an oven but with the convenience of only having to clean a bowl afterwards.

I've since seen these 'Mini-bowel Ovens' (for want of a better name) everywhere in Supermarkets such as Tesco Lotus etc...

Edited by richard_smith237

I bake cakes in Kitchen Craft pots and pans no problem. Coleman and others sell a small oven that goes on a stove or BBQ.

For a pot of any type, the main problem is heat on the sides so you need the lid on. LIGHTLY grease the bottom if the pan is thin, grease the sides well, and FLOUR heavily. I make chocolate cakes so flour with cocoa powder instead of seeing the white all over. Put the lid on, heat on medium heat until the pan is good and hot and then turn it down. A flame tamer (lifts the pot up off of the direct heat) makes a thin pot work much better.

A very good pan should be available in any department store. Stay away from teflon coatings (not only for health, but plan stainless steel actually gets food stuck to it far less and is much easier to clean.)

Cheers - this takes practice so chill out and enjoy the learning. Once you master it, you are set for life.

My Wife and I have this 'Mini-bowl oven'. It cooks wonderful pies, cakes, roast chicken, lamb and anything else someone would choose to cook in an oven but with the convenience of only having to clean a bowl afterwards.

I've since seen these 'Mini-bowel Ovens' (for want of a better name) everywhere in Supermarkets such as Tesco Lotus etc...

What you are calling a 'Mini-bowel Oven' is a 'Convection Oven'.

There are also 'Convection Ovens' that look similar to this:

FarberConvectionOven.jpg

They are also at Lotus, Big C, Carrefour, etc...

Smaller ones are also available.