Borehole Strikes Water But Now...

Greenside

OK, so they seem to have decided that 28 metres will do the trick and I now have to decide whether to accept their price for supplying and fitting the submersible pump and the bits that go with it, letting another contractor do it or buying the bits and get in a (hopefully) skilled person to assemble it all. His drilling fee includes pouring a small concrete slab and capping the pipe ready for whatever comes next.

Past experience tells me that having one person responsible for the borehole and pump will prevent the finger pointing which may happen if there is a problem in the future and two contractors are involved but the quote the drill guy has given me seems inordinately expensive. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something?

Franklin 1.5HP Pump + switch + overload protection control box @ 17900

35m of cable (2.5mm² twin) @ 800

Wire sling to remove pump for service @ 600

Outlet valve (say) 500

This comes to 20,000 baht near enough and doesn't include a backflow prevention valve or labour, but his quote is 26,500. Now I doubt if installation is more than half a day's work and although I don't know how much or what type of backflow device he has in mind I doubt if it's in the region of 5000, so on the face of it I'm feeling this is pricey. Part of the problem (the major part) is that he's unable to break his price down in a way that my wife can understand.

What do you think?

I think I can tell you what I did... I worked out a price BEFORE (12000 B) for a bore hole and pump AND water coming out of it. They went down about 30m but the pump pipes only about 20m. They used the 2-pipe sucking kind. I wonder if you really need submersible. More expensive and not really necessary if you can suck it (from what I have found). Anyway, my bore in place for almost a year now and maybe not the most efficient delivery but it works and the water has been good. Cheers.

Sorry Bankruatsteve, I guess I didn't understand what you meant.

The figure for the drilling was in line with local costs (750 - 900 per metre depending on diameter) it's the gear on the well head he's quoting for now and the prices I showed are from the same places as he would source his. I'm committed to the submersible pump (thanks, Gotlost) so the issue is have I missed any hardware or other factors out of my summary that could explain the high cost he's quoting?

Sorry Bankruatsteve, I guess I didn't understand what you meant.

The figure for the drilling was in line with local costs (750 - 900 per metre depending on diameter) it's the gear on the well head he's quoting for now and the prices I showed are from the same places as he would source his. I'm committed to the submersible pump (thanks, Gotlost) so the issue is have I missed any hardware or other factors out of my summary that could explain the high cost he's quoting?

OK . My suggestion is go price a back-flow value. That extra 5000 baht plus seams a bit to high. He may be trying to pad his profit.

I would use a 750 watt (1hp) Franklin in a 28 meter drill if not more than 8" drill, to avoid running dry and reduce costs. 3-4m3 an hour delivery in 1 inch pipe, thats more than 60m3/60.000 Litres a day. My delivers 3m3/hour at 75 meters lift.

750 watt, 1,5mm2 cable is sufficient even if more than 100 meters.

seems 20-30 metrs of 1"pipe and fittings are missing. Quality 13,5, they need to be screwed, not glued, to later be able to pull out to repair/replace pump

one way valve brass 1" at 400 baht

No rundryprotection, timer, tank sensor?

Edited by katabeachbum

It turns out that he does include an Auto control box in addition to the one supplied with the pump and that brings his quote in line with my expectations so we decided to have him do it. All this angst could have been avoided if he'd shown us a list of what was included but I guess I'm going to have to get used to that when we start building properly.

Thanks to all who replied.

Why not put off buying the pump & let your builders supply their own pump while they build your house?  That way, your nice new pricey Franklin doesn't get "swapped" while you are not looking.  Also, I agree with katabechbum about using a 1hp pump.

Why not put off buying the pump & let your builders supply their own pump while they build your house? That way, your nice new pricey Franklin doesn't get "swapped" while you are not looking. Also, I agree with katabechbum about using a 1hp pump.

Because we want to use the water for irrigation when the tanks are built - swapping the pump seems like a risk that's hard to mitigate. We'll check what goes down the hole tomorrow when he installs it. When the tanks are in place I'm having a small (but sturdy, I hope) building put round them to keep the pumps and irrigation fittings from going walkabout but I suppose if we feel it's really needed we'll have to make an arrangement to get someone to keep an eye on it all until we occupy the house ourselves.