Isuzu Mu-7 Or Toyota Fortuner

this is always a fleeting thing, you can almost never have a shiny new toy that

lots & lots of other people won't have soon after you get yours. :o

Sure you can - get a Lambo Murcielago. Ferrari Enzo is a good one, too :D

Oh, if you are talking about good-value-for-the-money - no way. It's pretty hard to buy anything else. (well ok considering the MU7 is crap, sadly - I am hoping Mitsu will provide more worthy competition when/if they come out with a SUV version of the Triton).

I would like to have one of these 4x4 VW vans. But not for 2-3x the money they are worth. Same thing for pretty much all other new cars, I can get a Porsche 911 back home for the price of a mid-size BMW in this country. Even if I had the money, I don't think I could get myself to do it.

So the choice is limited to Pick-ups, Fortuner, and MU7. For those who don't want a pick-up (I have no use for one and the rainy season is upon us as well), there's only the latter two. And the MU7 is a disgrace.

I fully expect every 2nd car on the road to be a Fortuner :D Cheering for Mitsubishi to provide some choice or Isuzu to get their heards out of their collective behinds. I don't have much hope for Isu though because cars have pretty long lead times and product cycles, you can't just stamp one out overnight.

Edit: I forgot to mention Ford Everest. I am trying to forget it, actually. Worst car I have ever driven in, period. My '74 VW bus drove better than that thing, seriously. Ford what?

Edited by nikster

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I said it on another thread and I'll say it again here because it needs saying, and the same applies to all the roadboats:

"I drove a girlfriend's Fortuner a few times and hated it. Vulgar is the word that comes to mind. The reason I drove is because she found it too cumbersome. I remember parking in a busy carpark and it was a joke trying to get out. Who wants to do a three point turn to get out of their driveway?

Also have you noticed how people in a Fortuner look like they're peering over a wall?

These vehicles are probably fine out on the larger roads, but they still have the problem that plagues America..... [snipped - I agree but what does it have to do with cars?]

Suzuki Vitara is a highly recommended alternative I'd say."

I have a 10 year old Vitara which is pretty much falling apart. It's a dingy, small car which drives OK but is _small_. Great for the city. But getting a Fortuner now. Look there's no way I am going to spend the same or even more money on a brand new Vitara which is half the car the Fortuner is.

I am sure the new ones are better, but my old Vitara has a worse fuel economy than a brand new Fortuner with twice the engine... build quality for Suzuki is also way behind, I had to replace pretty much everything in this car, from the auto transmission to the steering system, even blew the gaskets one time because the overheat-gage doesn't work under some conditions. The Suziki dealer explained to me that this was by design! In terms of fixing, the Vitara was just a little bit better than a 1980 Ford station wagon I once owned in the US.

My main objection to the new Vitara: It's small. Not in terms of luggage capacity, that's fine. But the seats are very narrow and my elbows and knees seemed to bump into things all the time while just sitting in the car. This is for small people. I have had a lot of time to check it out during the many times I brought my old car in for fixes... I really like the design of the MPV too, but again, it's just very cheap inside, cheapo plastics and all that.

With all due respect...why should you use more than your fair share of the oil in the world like they do in America? It is a prime reason it has become more expensive for the rest of us.

I am 6 ft 3 plus. I sit in great comfort in my Vitara. It is much more suited to Thailand's roads, sois, and dirt tracks. Just before Christmas I was almost rolled in a large Isuzu because it was too big for the track between the rice paddies and off it went. The roadboats are designed for America's wide streets.

Actually I feel that the Vitara is bigger inside, because it has a much squarer windscreen which sits much further away from the face....and there is a ton of headroom.

If you have to park in town then you want a car the smae or smaller than the average otherwise you're going to waste all your time parking.

If you are a butcher and need to fill up your car with sausages I apologize.

Waste all your time parking? :o Perhaps depending on where you live. I'm in Udon Thani and had my Fortuner since last December. No problems parking; the sensors (standard) do make backing up rather easy. I park in downtown Udon all the time.

Diesel clatter? :D Only when: it is a colder morning, initial start-up, and idling or moving very slow.....even then it's not very loud. Once the engine temp comes up to normal this small amount of chatter is gone.

So far not a single problem with my Fortuner but I only have 9,000 k on the clock. I find the aircon to be okay....remember this is a huge interior and takes time to cool off. I strongly recommend the 60% tint all around. Helps a lot with the heat.

Hi,

Me and my thai wife are in the process of buying a new fortuner.

However im stuck on options,which are:

1 what is the difference between 3.0v and 3.0g

I dont know ive researched and havnt got answeres.

I know the 2.7 is petrol and is all good.

Could someone please please advise on what the main difference is/are other than price.

Im told that the 3.0g there is no wait in Chaiyaphum.

Dont know,advise much appreciated

Hi,

Me and my thai wife are in the process of buying a new fortuner.

However im stuck on options,which are:

1 what is the difference between 3.0v and 3.0g

I dont know ive researched and havnt got answeres.

I know the 2.7 is petrol and is all good.

Could someone please please advise on what the main difference is/are other than price.

Im told that the 3.0g there is no wait in Chaiyaphum.

Dont know,advise much appreciated

The 3.0G is manual only, doesn't have the spoiler on the roof. No cooling vents for the rear passengers. No climate control, only aircon. The interior basically looks like a vigo (non of the chrome or wooden trim). Thats why theres no waiting list for the G........no one wants them.

Can't have done too much research though.....its clear in the brochure the differances........ :o

Moonoi,many many thanks,LOL

Unfortunatly the brochures I read and the family had sent me were in Thai,my wife and I didnt know the differences between the 2 models.

My brother in law(royal Thai police,who will be driving it most)didnt know,I have since this post have discovered the 3.0v is top of the range 4x4 and is by far the one to get,which we hope to be ordering shortly.

One more question,I do not honestly know,is the 3.0v turbo diesel available in manual or auto only??I'm in the UK.

Many many thanks for your reply,if you would like to share more info on them much appreciated.I only read whats written and see the pictures and my wife says "want sum"

We went to our local toyota dealer and was told that the fortuner is not coming to the UK and they too did not know any differences but did say if its based on hi lux you cant go wrong. :o

Moonoi,many many thanks,LOL

Unfortunatly the brochures I read and the family had sent me were in Thai,my wife and I didnt know the differences between the 2 models.

My brother in law(royal Thai police,who will be driving it most)didnt know,I have since this post have discovered the 3.0v is top of the range 4x4 and is by far the one to get,which we hope to be ordering shortly.

One more question,I do not honestly know,is the 3.0v turbo diesel available in manual or auto only??I'm in the UK.

Many many thanks for your reply,if you would like to share more info on them much appreciated.I only read whats written and see the pictures and my wife says "want sum"

We went to our local toyota dealer and was told that the fortuner is not coming to the UK and they too did not know any differences but did say if its based on hi lux you cant go wrong. :D

No problem :D you can't get the 3.0V in manual form only the G. I guess the thinking here is "who drives a top of the range motor with a manual shift?" :o

Fortuner is exported to Oz but not the UK. It much better than the Hi Lux (Vigo) having proper supsension at the rear instead of leaf springs. So the ride is much more car like.

You shouldn't be disappointed with it for sure :D

Moonoi,again many many thanks,

So then 3.0v it is then.Thank you and evryone that has posted on here.(good forum)

The fortuner seems to be top notch motor car and Im excited about having one and for my family.

Hopefully it will be there for me to drive back home from the airport.

many many thanks :o

• 11 months later...
I'm planning on taking possession of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel Automatic in August but came across the Isuzu MU-7 and wondered what you guys thought about it. How does the MU-7 compare with the Fortuner?

Anybody out their got an MU-7 ?

Thanks

Hello i'm a western Male who has been living in Thailand for 4yrs on the island of Kohphangan,where 4x4 at some times and some places is needed,I purchased a Mu-7 in January 2007...Money give or take was not an issue,choosing between a Fortuner,Ranger,Crv or the host of other 4x4 on the market was becoming a small issue.I was going to buy the Fortuner simply because of Toyotas record sales,but was then put off by just how many are on the road,even on Kohphangan they are everywhere......Yes this could mean that they are good,but talking with my friend who has a Fortuner,when telling me he has had many problems with the BRAKES,i started to look at the CAR rather than the BADGE.

On test drives of still the Fortuner,Ranger,Ssangyong Rexton and MU-7 my decition for what i needed was the MU-7...

6 Months driving the car.......... :o Very Happy...... After adding bigger tyres,bull bar,4x Spot lights it's not such an ugly car after all .The car is effortless to drive(Auto)quiet,enough performance,and so much more leg room for all passengers than the Fortuner..

Only one issue is that a creak comes from the drivers door only over ruff terain,Needs just a bit of padding, MU-7... GREAT CAR!!

I'm planning on taking possession of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel Automatic in August but came across the Isuzu MU-7 and wondered what you guys thought about it. How does the MU-7 compare with the Fortuner?

Thanks

I'm a western male who was looking to buy a 4x4 ..With money not being to much of an issue i started to look at my options,this was becoming more of an issue with the host of 4x4 on the market. My 1st option was the what seemed to be the popular Fortuner...Yes POPULAR!! there everywhere,not exactly going to stand out in the crowd,but it's a Toyota and there records sales speak for themselves.But test driving the Fortuner,i was dissapointed,did't feel comftable behind the wheel,parking Umm,good luck,i found it to have very poor visability,then speaking with a friend who has one,told me of his continued problems with the BRAKES..I test drove also The Rexton,Crv,ford everest and MU-7... I purchased the MU-7 in Jan 2007.6 months after driving :o Very happy.I got it fully loaded with tv's front and rear full leather, auto box, roof rack,Bigger tyres bull bars and 4x spot lights..Ugly?? i think not,it grows on me every day.It's evortless to drive(Auto) more than enough performance,quiet,much MUCH more leg room for all passengers than a Fortuner.. I live on Kohphangan where i have put it's 4x4 manners to the test..... I'm pretty sure it will go anywhere that i what to go.. MU-7 Great Car.....I'm obviously a very happy Nut case :D Need to know anymore please ask..... One small complaint,it has a creak from the drivers door when going over ruff Terain.... Nothing to serious that a bit of extra padding will sort out when i get around to it...

Have to admit I forgot about this postings.

Christmas last year we purchased a nice shiny silver fortuner 3.0v and to be honest I love it to bits.

I miss it,as me and the wife are in the UK but still overall for its price In my view was tops.

My only gripe with it(you have to have one)was I didnt realise that the headlights were dipped and got pulled for it and had a blazing row with a policeman.Luckily for me my brother in law is a copper and the mrs went bonkers all was good and told to move on very quickly which the the policeman did not have to tell me twice as he tried in vain to get 500baht out of me.

before anyone picks up- couldnt you tell that your ligfhts were dipped,yes I had a few shandies and the spot lights were on also so none of us realised that our full lights were not on.

delboy

Have to admit I forgot about this postings.

Christmas last year we purchased a nice shiny silver fortuner 3.0v and to be honest I love it to bits.

I miss it,as me and the wife are in the UK but still overall for its price In my view was tops.

My only gripe with it(you have to have one)was I didnt realise that the headlights were dipped and got pulled for it and had a blazing row with a policeman.Luckily for me my brother in law is a copper and the mrs went bonkers all was good and told to move on very quickly which the the policeman did not have to tell me twice as he tried in vain to get 500baht out of me.

before anyone picks up- couldnt you tell that your ligfhts were dipped,yes I had a few shandies and the spot lights were on also so none of us realised that our full lights were not on.

delboy

I'm confused. The headlights were on dipped beam, not full, and you got stopped? Maybe having the fog lights on with no fog was the reason.

I'm confused. The headlights were on dipped beam, not full, and you got stopped? Maybe having the fog lights on with no fog was the reason.

lol

probably correct sir,however the policeman did say that i should drive with full bean on,I laughed and said I will blind everyone hahaha.He didnt see the funny side.

Oh well..............

delboy

CHEVROLET / CAPTIVA 2.4 LTRe this week in Bangkok Post........

But we now arrive to perhaps the best part of the Captiva: its driving characteristics.

By using a monocoque body with car-like suspension components, the Captiva copes well in all on-road driving conditions.

Apparently, the chassis has been tuned in a manner to deal with susceptible loads owners are most likely to put on the Captiva. And by saying this, the Captiva handles with that kind crispness not common in SUVs of this class available in the Thai market.

Although the Captiva's prices aren't bang on with the Fortuner and other pickup-based SUVs like the MU-7 and Ford Everest, they certainly are when you put the CR-V's into perspective.

In petrol form, the Captiva starts at B1.186m to virtually match the cheapest CR-V in two-wheel-drive form and B1.46m to compete head on with the top-end CR-V in four-wheel-drive uniform.

The diesel-powered Captiva asks for slightly higher - B1.276m and B1.56m respectively. Even though our first-hand experience with the Captiva is the petrol 4WD version as tested this week, the diesel already seems very enticing.

The Captiva may not sound great value as a Fortuner that obviously is at an advantage in terms of pricing due to its privileged tax rate of 20%, but the Captiva does many things better than the Toyota 4x4.

And while the Captiva may not truly beat the CR-V on the overall, there are those aforementioned attributes that clearly make it a better choice for those needing a proper SUV for recreational purposes outside the city.

The Captiva is the first Chevrolet that can properly be on the shopping list along with major players in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

I'm a western male who was looking to buy a 4x4 ..With money not being to much of an issue i started to look at my options,this was becoming more of an issue with the host of 4x4 on the market. My 1st option was the what seemed to be the popular Fortuner...Yes POPULAR!! there everywhere,not exactly going to stand out in the crowd,but it's a Toyota and there records sales speak for themselves.But test driving the Fortuner,i was dissapointed,did't feel comftable behind the wheel,parking Umm,good luck,i found it to have very poor visability,then speaking with a friend who has one,told me of his continued problems with the BRAKES..I test drove also The Rexton,Crv,ford everest and MU-7... I purchased the MU-7 in Jan 2007.6 months after driving :o Very happy.I got it fully loaded with tv's front and rear full leather, auto box, roof rack,Bigger tyres bull bars and 4x spot lights..Ugly?? i think not,it grows on me every day.It's evortless to drive(Auto) more than enough performance,quiet,much MUCH more leg room for all passengers than a Fortuner.. I live on Kohphangan where i have put it's 4x4 manners to the test..... I'm pretty sure it will go anywhere that i what to go.. MU-7 Great Car.....I'm obviously a very happy Nut case :D Need to know anymore please ask..... One small complaint,it has a creak from the drivers door when going over ruff Terain.... Nothing to serious that a bit of extra padding will sort out when i get around to it...

Thanks

I purchased the MU-7 in August 2005. Have not got any experience with other cars. Indeed this i my first ownership of a car, having rented cars occasionally before. I am 6 foot 6 tall. When I first tested the driver's seat, I felt comfortable as never before in a car. Large room for legs and shoulders. The seat is given a perfect support. I am told the seats in the comparable Toyotas are no good. Yet, I have tried the driver's seat in the Mitsubishi G-Wagon. I felt squeezed and the outlook through the front window wasn't any good. Besides, I prefer a straight instrument panel to the curved one in the Toyotas and others marks. Gives you more leg room as well.

Untill to-day I have had no problems whatsoever with the car. Izuzu's servicing is swift and perfect. It is a pleasure driving the car on the high road with its long wheel base, although the Fortuner with its shorter wheel base might be better off in parking plots. But I still feel very much at ease with the car in Bangkok traffic too. The engin is running smooth and the suspension is sublime.

Last year I drove from Phuket back to Bangkok, where I am living, in one go - 10 hours not having any problems with an aching back or legs. Am using the car mostly for driving up to my secondary house near Ayutthaya every weekend.

Am keen on purchasing a Izuzu D-Max High-Lander as soon as I can afford as a second car for carrying stuff.

I must admit that seen from certain angles the MU-7 is looking plump, but it is never the less a great car. I am very happy with the choice I made.

Behave you guys Mercedes forget it. Bmw forget that too. If you want a proper prestige 4x4 its got to be the porsche cayenne

And you can probably buy the Isuzu, and the Fortuner, and the Captiva, and a CRV, and then another one of each before getting anywhere near the price of a Cayenne in Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Head to Head Comparison:

I bought a 2.7L FORTUNER last August of 2005 and I'm not so impressed with its suspension. The other thing I'm not happy about it is the fact that there is so little leg room for the passangers sitting on the last row. Its acceleration is good though.

Last month, I bought an Isuzu MU-7, 4x2. And I'm so happy with it. The interior looks far better than my fortuner(the dashboard is just basically all plastic.) When it comes to acceleration, i must admit that the 2.7L fortuner has the edge. With regards to the outside appearance, again, my vote is with the Fortuner.

Now, lets talk about suspension and the overall ride itself. The MU-7 has far better suspension and riding comfort than the fortuner. It's interior is far better too. Not to mention the DVD player, the 5.1 Surround audio system and the two 7-inch LCD display. It is a true 7 seater SUV and people seating in the last row are again far more comfortable than those seating in the last row of the fortuner. Also, the longer MU-7 gives ample leg room for everyone. When it comes to night time driving, the MU-7 is again the better deal because of its projector type headlights.

Just ask yourself: "What would I want in an SUV, good looks from the outside or better interior and superb comfort?"

Since I stay inside the car when riding it,(hahaha) my choice would clearly be better interior and superb comfort.

Hope this one helps...

Edited by quiquo

Thanks

Fortuner 10. mu7, 0,, That mu7 is one ugly b@stard of a thing that looks like someone grafted that back bit on as an afterthought on a dmax! :o .ill bet its a converted pickup done by thairung ,.

The reason the Japanese are taking over the U.S. auto market is because they know how to screw things together properly something the Americans seem to be forgetting, (and the British have forgotten!) (Izuzu is owned by Ford).

I would never buy an American / UK/ car over a Jap unless it was about Sex.

Isnt isuzu owned by GM ? hence the chevrolet colorado connection ?

The Fortuner isn't exactly a converted pickup.

Pickup!

Well sure, but then, almost all larger SUVs are based on a Pickup platform. Nothing wrong with that :o

I have two questions for the proud owners: What mileage does the Diesel get? What's the difference in performance? Both Diesel and gasoline have pretty much the same HP which usually means the Diesel will have better torque and feel stronger.

I am going to do lots of mountain driving so I want to know which one will be better.

Also, how does the automatic cope with mountainous terrain? I have not driven any automatic that would feel "right" on a mountain, but then, I have not tested any newer automatics. The auto I have tends to be in the wrong gear and the only option you have is the kick-down - which is also wrong. Somebody also said manual is preferable when offroading: Why?

This is the reason I am thinking of getting the manual. I want to have leather too though and was told that's only on autos. I want to buy this next year - does that mean I have to queue up right now? I am in the north, in Chiang Mai...

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

A range rover with auto trans won the malaysian rain forest challenge ,auto is much better off road,,,check out all the rally vigos etc in thailand nearly all are auto,ive driven both including in competipn in africa on the optic 2000, smoother all round,

Thanks

Fortuner 10. mu7, 0,, That mu7 is one ugly b@stard of a thing that looks like someone grafted that back bit on as an afterthought on a dmax! :o .ill bet its a converted pickup done by thairung ,.

Then I bet you haven't driven both SUVs. It is true that MU-7 looks like a converted pick up but doesn't drive like one. The Fortuner on the other hand gives you a ride simililar to a pick up although it doesn't look like one. Again, its between outside looks and overall driving pleasure.

That's the first time I see someone saying that MU 7 has a more comfortable ride and driving manners than Fortuner.

Don't they still use the srping leaves suspension on Isuzus?

And I also remember someone praising MU 7 for lots of power and acceleration, while petrol Fortuner was described as lethargic.

Things are turned on their heads on this page.

Isuzu now uses a different kind of suspension. If I'm not mistaken, they call it the Flex-ride technology. The Petrol Fortuner has far more power than the MU-7. I have both SUV's and I often use the fortuner when taking short trips. My family however prefers the MU-7, it is more comfortable compared to fortuner. We use it on long trips.

When it comes to Off-road driving, i prefer a vehicle with a manual transmission. The MU-7 now shifts to 4x4 or 4x2 in just a push of a button. It doesn't have a separate shift stick for 4x4.

Edited by quiquo