Driving Through Southern Thailand

chickencurry

We will be driving from Penang to Phuket in a couple of months time. We're wondering which is the best transit point between Malaysia and Thailand to use. It seems most folks go via Bukit Kayu Hitam as the Malaysian expressway hits that point. Just wondering about Wang Prachan crossing? Is that quieter (quicker??) for passing through?

We're also considering whether to break the journey somewhere in southern Thailand - maybe Trang? Or if going through Wang Prachan - maybe stop at Satun?

Has anyone any thoughts and experiences? If we do make a stop, we are not looking for a Hilton ;-) just a half-decent hotel for one night stopover with Thai food and a beer will suffice (and parking I guess).

Hi,

I have travelled down to the Malaysian border many times and always use the Padang Besar crossing which is to the west of Had Yai, it is then easy drive bypassing Had Yai, to Pratalung and then Trang.

There is a large hotel right in the middle of Trang called Thumrin Thana which is not bad, has decent food and beer.

Hope that helps

My wife & I used the BKH Gateway to Danok - Sadao Last October.

Malaysia/Thailand Border Checkpoint opens @ 6:00am

In the morning may be a bit busy as folks queue up for passport stamp @ Thai Immigration but the traffic flow is smooth.

It is a good thought to use Wang Prachan to Satun via Wang Prachan Road.

Drive time from Penang to Changlun on PLUS Highway approximately 2.0 - 2.5 hours within speed limit.

Changlun to Wang Kelian Checkpoint (Perlis state route JKR|R15) - may take you 1.5 hours.

There are a number of decent hotels in Trang area. Please check for more info.

Have Great Trip!

I would second the Thumrin Thana in Trang. Stayed there last month, 1,000 baht/night for 3+ star standard, including a quality buffet breakfast for 2. Google for full details. Can't miss it, highest rise hotel in town, cross railway crossing and first left, and left again.

I would second the Thumrin Thana in Trang. Stayed there last month, 1,000 baht/night for 3+ star standard, including a quality buffet breakfast for 2. Google for full details. Can't miss it, highest rise hotel in town, cross railway crossing and first left, and left again.

Thanks for that. Does the hotel have a car park?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack this thread with another question, but it's kind-of related.....

I want to drive my Thai registered pick-up truck into Malaysia to visit KL for a few days.

What's involved, and whats required paperwork wise, insurance, and cost?

TIA.

Sorry to hijack this thread with another question, but it's kind-of related.....

I want to drive my Thai registered pick-up truck into Malaysia to visit KL for a few days.

TIA.

It's been done many times. Do a search and you'll find all the info you need.

Basically, all you'll need is a translation of your registration, Malaysian insurance and that's pretty much it. Sorry, also a sticker showing the Thai number and province. I've been down to Penang a couple of times with no sticker and nobody said a word although last time they wanted one ..... and then they wouldn't let me in because of dark windows. :angry:

Translation can be done in Hatyai for B30 or for a bit more (time & money)at the Dan Nok border.

TIA.

It's been done many times. Do a search and you'll find all the info you need.

Basically, all you'll need is a translation of your registration, Malaysian insurance and that's pretty much it. Sorry, also a sticker showing the Thai number and province. I've been down to Penang a couple of times with no sticker and nobody said a word although last time they wanted one ..... and then they wouldn't let me in because of dark windows. :angry:

Translation can be done in Hatyai for B30 or for a bit more (time & money)at the Dan Nok border.

Thanks South,

if you have nothing to do in Songkhla or Hatyai,

Wang Prachan is the best choice for you.

It'll be much faster.

From Wang Prachan>> Chalung>> Langu>>Trang>>Krabi

If you want to stop by in Satun, then make it Langu.

They have some nice Thai restaurants and stay at resort by the sea(cheap price nice room).

Or, just go ahead to Krabi ( 2 hrs from Trang).

• 2 weeks later...

Drove a couple of times from KL to Phuket with an overnight in Hat Yai. I agrees with Alenhan. I would rather stop in Krabi unless I am going to Amari (not sure what they are called now after they were taken over I think Central or something but expensive) hate the roads in Trang. Or another option if you want to try is a take a detour to Koh Lanta. For me it is too taxing to drive all the way from Penang to Phuket.

Penang Island to Border (BKH) would take around 2hours, border normally in the afternoon around 30-45mins for both CIQ clearance and another 5 hours non-stop to Phuket town. The whole journey would take around 8hrs with minimal stops. But you might miss some sights, like the cave boat ride in Trang, Emerald Pool and the "thousand over step temple" in Krabi.

if you have nothing to do in Songkhla or Hatyai,

Wang Prachan is the best choice for you.

It'll be much faster.

From Wang Prachan>> Chalung>> Langu>>Trang>>Krabi

If you want to stop by in Satun, then make it Langu.

They have some nice Thai restaurants and stay at resort by the sea(cheap price nice room).

Or, just go ahead to Krabi ( 2 hrs from Trang).