Lcd Tv With Usb That Plays Avi. Files

wally1k

Hi all

So does anyone know where i can find a competitively priced LCD TV that has a USB port.

I am interested in the 32 inch size.

I want to be able to plug in my Ipod or Usb stick and play .avi movies..

I know it is possible ..... Just don't know if anyone is selling here in Chang Mai.

I also was told you could by a DVD player with a USB input and do it this way

Anyway - all constructive contributions are most welcome.. :)

Walt

Hello.

you dont have to look for a lcd tv with usb.Just get the tv you like and simply buy a dvd player with a usb port.I have one from tesco for 500 baht and it plays everything!!!!

Hope that helps.

PS. i got a nice philips lcd tv for sale 32 inch(Model: 32PFL3403S/97) 12500 baht in good condition and about 2 years old.pm me if intrested!

The cheapest 32' LCD/Plasma screens are between 10,000-12,000 baht. Siam TV and Niyom Panich both have offers at different times. Makro also had one on special at a good price a couple of weeks ago but the offer may have ended.

A DVD player with a USB port is a much cheaper option if you already have a TV. They can be as cheap as 700 baht available anywhere that sells electronics. Makro has a good selection.

I am no technical expert and had the same issues last year.

A friend suggested the (Western Didital) WD TV HD Media Player. It has a USB connection, HDMI or standard yellow, red & white output to TV.

It reads all media types I have come across including AVI. The problem I had with plugging into the DVD was it had to be in the correct format.

Cost is around Baht 4600 from Pantip Plaza, but well worth it.

It is also small enough to be able to take on trips and plug into hotel TVs.

I hasten to add that I have no financial interest in Western Digital or Pantip Plaza.

Iain

The chaepest DVD player Ive seen that has a USB port that plays avi files was in Carefour the other day, it was 590thb.

a little off topic but I guess worth sharing, two sundays back Carrefour in Chonburi city (I realize that's a long way from Chiang Mai) had 42 inch LCD out for 18,000Baht one day only, plus, if you took the 42 inch, you could also buy a 29 inch for an extra 5,000Baht.

This last Sunday they had a different one day offer, 33 inch (Chinese brand not seen before) out for 7,999Baht. Excellent picture but not sure about service etc.

Prices sure coming down.

OP: Yes. I got one from Siam TV on the moat, but frankly all the big stores have the same TVs, compare the prices.

Good about Siam TV though - the sales rep gave me the lowdown on USB ports. Explained the following in perfect English:

The very cheapest LCD TVs (12k for 32" at the moment, dropping rapidly) have USB ports but they only display still images. They don't play AVI files.

The ones that cost a little more have USB ports which do play AVI (and lots of other formats) and in full HD.

If you factor in the cost of a WD TV + LCD TV you are most definitely better off with a decent LCD TV which plays HD video - much more convenient to have it all in one, better quality too (in my experience - I have a WD TV)..

I bought a Samsung Series 5 40" LCD TV with USB / HD for 22k baht. 32" would have been a bit cheaper but not very much for the series 5, I think it was 18 or 19k. 32" is not really enough for full HD though, unless you're sitting inches from it. HD on the 40" looks brilliant, both from the movie player and True HD. The movie player is actually better because True HD has lots of compression on their signal.

How it works is you have a movie player button on the remote, you connect your USB stick or hard disk, and off you go. It's very simple, works perfectly, e.g. you can FFWD at 16x for example, and it does have a continue function, etc. Just having it all on one remote makes it better than the WD TV, but the performance of the player is also better. It feels just like it should, like an appliance. The WD TV works fine but often feels like a computer.

The WD TV, on the other hand, plays more video formats. It would play my .m2ts files (blue ray package file). The Samsung doesn't. Samsung also doesn't play .m4v files, though all you have to do is rename them .mp4 and it's fine.

====

About DVD players: None of these are HD. They will play standard definition AVIs and output over the crappy RGB out at the back, not HDMI. I have seen one for 600 baht recently at Big C, I have heard about ones for 400 baht. As you would expect at this price point, quality is going to suck. Example my DVD USB player would stutter with higher framerates, didn't have a continue function, and FFWD and rewind were only just barely working. FFWD only at 1 speed setting which seemed to be 2x, but sometimes even slower. You get what you pay for.

Edited by nikster

Dear. OP. The only model i have seen with that spec is LG. Easy. go to Airport plaza, LG store opposite IT city.

Samsung series 5 does it too

I also saw a Sony with this feature. I assume the other brands offer the same.