Changing Jobs With Non O For Volunteering

Dear all

I am currently on a non O visa based on volunteering that is extended every 90 days in Thailand. My extension ends in September. I also have a WP. I will be moving provinces at the end of next week to take up a salaried position with a well established Thai company. They indicated that they could change my WP over and obtain a new visa for me (presume this will be a non B ) From what I have read in the forum I have to give my WP back here when I leave and by doing this my visa will be cancelled unless I leave the country or pay for a 7 day extension. Is this correct even though the extension is based on volunteering and not employment as such? Is there any way that my new employer can change the WP and sort out my visa without having to go through this?

Many thanks for your advice - MM

Edited by mekongmiss

You are on an extension of stay based on volunteering, the day you stop volunteering is the day you have to leave the country. (cancel work permit and extension of stay). You go to immigration to get a 7 day extension of stay. Both labour and immigration will want a letter from your employer stating the date the volunteering was terminated.

There is no need to get a new visa, if you can get the new work permit in these 7 days. Once you have the work permit you go again to immigration for a new 1 year extension of sty based on employment. Since you only have 7 days for this (unless married to a Thai, than you would have 60 days) you will have to hurry. So let the company prepare all the necessary documents for labour and immigration in advance.

If you can't make it in 7 days, you will have to go abroad.

Cheers Mario....presume you mean that I only have 7 days to get both new WP and visa extension. The letter for Labour and Immigration is just required for my current province or will I need this in my new province as well? Will I need to do the medical check again for the WP? (only did it 5 months ago).

Thank you again - MM

Yes, you only have 7 days to get both the new WP and the extension of stay. The letter you will need to cancel both old ones, you don't need it in the new province. Labour can see in the computer that your old WP was canceled, and immigration sees it also online and in the passport.

You will need a new medical check for the WP and extension of stay.