Weird Thing Goin On With My Bike

eek

Tomorrow morning I will take my bike (Yamaha Fino) to the garage, but a heads up on whats going on would be nice.

Today I noticed after going over a bump that my steering feels really peculiar. Its having a "judder" effect..like a kind of tremor (is this making any sense at all??).

Whats going on? Thoughts?

(Let me know if thats not enough to go on and i will describe it more/better. Thanks)

check the air in the tyre..if it is not right right fix it quickly. THis is dangerous. If it is more than that take it back to your dealer to check.

It should not cost you as your bike is new.....maybe taking off the grass leaves upset it.

Edited by harrry

Without riding it, it's tough for anyone to say.

However, if you're going to the Yamaha dealer in town (or any company owned shop, I guess), you will find an excellent staff well led and full of knowledge. I've almost rebuilt an old MX - well, they have - and their diagnosis is accurate, their work is flawless, their prices reasonable (if not the cheapest in town) and if you are to wait, it is in an air conditioned lounge room with refreshments. Been there five times and never a disappointment (which is, of course, statistically insignificant), but

By and large, no worries - the experienced kids there will know in a quick test drive and the bosses make sure they don't ride the job.

Edited by CMX

With the bike stopped apply both brakes and then push & pull the handlebars. The wheel should not move and any movement forward & back would indicate the steering head bearing. This could explain your problem.

sounds like the bearing in the steering colum to me. one time i had a noise I couldnt fine, and later realized it a loose disk break jingling, but if it a shaking of the bars when you hit bumps then its probably the bearing in the steering column like the picture above, when the bike is standing still it isn't always detectable to just use the breaks and pushing the bike around

Lenny is probably right check the steering head bearings. Stick it on the centre stand with the front wheel off the ground and try and move the fork forward and aft. Any movement would indicate the steering head bearings require attention.

check the air in the tyre..if it is not right right fix it quickly. THis is dangerous. If it is more than that take it back to your dealer to check.

Most Thai mechanics have no concept of correct tyre pressure.

Upon getting new tyres I'm usually bouncing down the road with 60psi in each. :blink: I think most don't even have a pressure gauge on their airhose. :(

With the bike stopped apply both brakes and then push & pull the handlebars. The wheel should not move and any movement forward & back would indicate the steering head bearing. This could explain your problem.

My first guess also! ;)

Well all...this is the moment when you get to laugh out loud ... because im an idiot. Im ashamed to admit....that..i didnt notice..that..it was just that my tire was punctured..

Its only until i read this thread that I thought to check the tire!

So this morning I went to a regular garage to fill with air..but went down again..so went along to get the tire fixed at the Yamaha garage.

..i thank you all so very much for saving my face because i most likely would have walked into the Yamaha dealer stating i had some problem with my steering. Im sure they would have been laughing for at least a week on that one.

So, i was able to walk into the Yamaha garage and explain about my tire problem and have them fix it. 120 baht. My steering is fine again...duh.

Oh Gawd.. the humiliation...especially after you all took the time to explain what could be the problem. ...I'll go sit in the dunce corner for the rest of the day.

(Edit: However, if anything else does go wrong steering-wise..at least ill know where to check for info :D)

Edited by eek
additional text

It should not cost you as your bike is new.....maybe taking off the grass leaves upset it.

YOu remembered about the grass leaves! :lol:

Yes, maybe my bike had a hissy fit on me. But..no fear..im getting some new stickers designed so he wont feel naked anymore. ^_^

..and thank you for telling me to check my tires. >.<

Well all...this is the moment when you get to laugh out loud ... because im an idiot. Im ashamed to admit....that..i didnt notice..that..it was just that my tire was punctured..

Its only until i read this thread that I thought to check the tire!

So this morning I went to a regular garage to fill with air..but went down again..so went along to get the tire fixed at the Yamaha garage.

..i thank you all so very much for saving my face because i most likely would have walked into the Yamaha dealer stating i had some problem with my steering. Im sure they would have been laughing for at least a week on that one.

So, i was able to walk into the Yamaha garage and explain about my tire problem and have them fix it. 120 baht. My steering is fine again...duh.

Oh Gawd.. the humiliation...especially after you all took the time to explain what could be the problem. ...I'll go sit in the dunce corner for the rest of the day.

(Edit: However, if anything else does go wrong steering-wise..at least ill know where to check for info :D)

So thats how to get to be a Moderator on TV :lol: wondered why I was never offered the job

Edited by FarangCravings

^ :lol:

Was waiting for the aftermath. What took you guys so long? I roll with the punches. Bring it on. :P

No punches, kiddo, just check your tyre presures every week , I suggest on that baby 28psi front and 36 rear is well enough, they tend to over do it here inThailand and what you have is a scooter nothing like a real Motorcyle, so do the wheelies if you you can.