Can I Apply For My Own Work Permit?

I've recently lost my secretary and next week there are only 3 hours between my flight landing from KL (new visa run) and the labour department closing on the last day of my work permit here in Phuket.

My work permit is only as a videographer. Do you think I would have a problem in applying for my renewal in person at the labour apartment or could the actual act of applying put me in breach of the regulations?

It is early in the week but I really can not understand why you would think doing the work permit process would put you in breach of any regulations. So I would say do it. But will also say I have no experience so if someone else who has done the process can post am sure you will feel better.

Some colleagues of mine report having been able to "do their own Work Permits", by which I mean they took all the properly completed forms, (signed by the employer where necessary) into the Immigration Office. They then sat their and obtained the necessary renewals.

But be warned, if there is even one document or signature missing, the paperwork will have to be returned to the employer for correction.

Well maybe it's paranoia but I've heard it said that the labour department here view the work permit application process as work in itself and that by doing it myself I'm depriving Thai people of the work. Hence the reason I'm checking. I think I'm going to go for it and if I get done then at least it will make a good story to tell down the pub.

Well maybe it's paranoia but I've heard it said that the labour department here view the work permit application process as work in itself and that by doing it myself I'm depriving Thai people of the work. Hence the reason I'm checking. I think I'm going to go for it and if I get done then at least it will make a good story to tell down the pub.

I had a lawyer applying for my fist WP, but after that I have always done boht WP and one year visa extensions by myself. No problems at all. The people at the labour dept. are very nice and helpful.

Good luck!

I did it myself once ... well officier were very kind and helpfull but each time you are

missing a paper they will force you go back to your employer (which was 80km from

bangkok...).. So far was a boring experience, but the officiers were very nice. If they

ask why you are doing it yourself just tellt he truth about your secretary.

Good luck