Non Emigrant Ed Visa In Pinang Malaysia Report

I read this forum for a long time and it helped me a lot to plan my stay in Thailand. However I didn't found any report from anyone doing an ED (education) visa at Pinang Malaysia. It is time to give back, so here is my report about the Visa processing from the Pinang Consulate.

First I decided to go to Pinang to avoid the painful trip to Vientiane (8 hours in bus to go, 8 hours to come back)

I took a ticket to Pinang (1:30 min Flight) online and I paid 5400 Baths for the round trip. After checking on Stripadvisor.com I reserved online at the Evergreen hotel which was a great choice after all. I stayed 3 nights / 4 days.

My stay was from Tuesday to Thursday, I think it was the best to avoid the weekend crowd and get the best fare price.

I got my Visa papers from Wallen Schools Pattaya, very easy and professional.

When you arrive at Pinang, you get a 90 days tourist visa. It is interesting to notice that Malaysia is not as picky as Thailand with Tourists.

Taxi to the hotel costs 30 Ringbit ($10). The system is very controlled so that you have to pass thru a counter and they affect you the next available taxi, no bargaining, no traps.

Choice of the hotel: the Evergreen is a business hotel, located on Gurney Road on the beach. It is an excellent location because it is at walking distance from a huge shopping center, it is a very clean and safe area even late at night (or early in the morning), the buffet and breakfast are much better than anywhere else, and it is located between the city and the beach. My advice, do not go to the holiday Inn hotel or any hotel on the beach, they are located in very touristic area that are plain ugly and dirty, the beach is not worth the "Pearl of Asia" reputation and you will be disappointed. Also you will be at 30 min from the Ambassy on a very sinuous road, and maybe one hour from the best Heritage monuments. The Evergreen is a ***** star hotel, flowless and absolutely gorgeous inside. The room and the staff are top notch by US/Euro standard. I can compare this hotel to the Crillon in Paris in term of quality of service. The food is very good and its buffets is the best in town (for about $15). I noticed that the food in Malaysia is not as good as in Thailand so having an excellent buffet gave me the opportunity to eat some local specialties without having to worry about being sick. The rooms are spacious, Internet is quick and free. I got +300kbs up and down all the time which is good enough for Skype or work.

The Visa itself: having stayed 3 years in the USA I'm used to fight with the bureaucracy and I was ready for a painful process with the emigration. Big mistake, that was VERY EASY. I took a taxi to the Consulate (15 Ringbits or $5) and I arrived at 9:30am. They accept Visa application from 9 to 11am so I was late. There were 3 people filling their application. There are 2 counters with very nice people, they gave me the application and I had to pay 240 Ringbits ($80). Then they gave me a receipt and asked me to come back the next day between 2pm-4pm.

The next day I was there at 2pm, a couple of people here too, no waiting, they give me my visa and that it!

No body search and security gates, everything is done in a nice garden outside, the security guard told me "have a nice day" when I left and that was it!

It took me about 10 min the first day and 1 min the second day, no waiting queue.

I must say that it could not be a better experience!

Pinang: I have read that there is nothing to do in Pinang and that's a plain stupid statement. If you want to see everything in a short time, don't go by yourself or in bus! Most heritage building are hidden in small streets and you will miss everything. Just HIRE a TAXI. It costs 30 Ringbits ($10) per hour. the guy will be your guide and will drive you everywhere. I hired mine 3 hours the first day and we visited most of the Heritage monuments and more in the city. The next day I hired him again for 3 hours and we visited the beaches and the Spice garden. In 2 days I have seen it all, and got a good English speaking guide, and someone to watch at my camera and money while I was swimming in the green water in deserted beaches like in "lost" or "Survivor". I spent $60 to have a full tour of the Island and I encourage you doing the same. This trip was so much better than doing a bus trip to Vientiane!!!

The cost:

Hotel : $80 / night (deluxe room with sea view) book on internet as the hotel is booked all time.

Food : breakfast included in the room price, Buffet lunch and diner : $20 / day

Taxi : $100 total with airport in and out.

Monuments entry fees : $10

Plane : $170

Visa : $80

Total : $520 for 4 days (3 nights) in a paradise Island all inclusive with Transportation and the Visa!

Conclusion: I am very happy of my choice, I will go back to the Evergreen luxurious hotel, do a very painless visa and enjoy the beaches again next year!!!

Evergreen Buffet

post-105564-001833800 1280032735_thumb.j

Evergreen Lobby

post-105564-067500400 1280032698_thumb.j

Evergreen view

post-105564-094206700 1280032912_thumb.j

Beach

post-105564-098445000 1280032373_thumb.j

Beach

post-105564-034663400 1280032804_thumb.j

Heritage House

post-105564-086657100 1280032784_thumb.j

Chinese Temple

post-105564-098244100 1280032656_thumb.j

Edited by nikkoid66

Thanks for good report.

Would have to say about 2,700 baht is not required for a comfortable hotel in Georgetown but that is your choice and that hotel is only about 10 years old (but outside the normal tourist area).

The comment about Vientiane being 8 hours by bus seems strange as there are frequent domestic flights to Udon are reasonable price and that is within about an hours drive of Vientiane.

I agree that because most people take buses from Pattaya to Vientiane I was not really thinking about flying there...My intent was not to critic any destination. Maybe I will test Vientiane next year, or Pnom Pen.

The Evergreen hotel is an expensive choice, but very it is a very high quality hotel - business style. 2700 bath is not expensive compared with our hotels in Europe or even most hotel in the USA... people who are on budget can easily find something for $30-$40 / night I totally agree with that. I don't use to go in luxurious hotels so this time I decided to play the rich guy with my Euro in the pocket, I liked it! But back in Pattaya, I'm more than comfortable in my 16000 baths/month condo!!! :whistling:

Your report is interesting except for the fact that there is NO such thing as a 90 day "Tourist Visa" :( .

Either you got a Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa (good for 90 days) or you got a Tourist Visa (good for 60 days). It is one or the other.

Actually, if you got the paperwork from the Walen School of Thai in Pattaya, and went to Penang; you would have gotten a 90 day Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa. :)

If you check your visa stamp, I'm pretty sure it'll say Non-Imm. Type-ED. ;)

Other than that your report was good, thanx for the info. .. :D

FWIW: there are more than a few ‘visa run’ companies which operate outta Pattaya and run you to Vientiane and back with everything included (travel, visa to Lao, accommodations, food, etc). These companies can do this trip FAR cheaper than the one you took.

But what ever floats your boat. You got your ED visa and are in for 90 days at least!! B)

Your report is interesting except for the fact that there is NO such thing as a 90 day "Tourist Visa" :( .

I think they meant that they got a 90 day tourist visa for Malaysia when arriving- hence the comment about them not being so picky as Thailand is with tourists. I might be wrong but that's the way it read to me-

When you arrive at Pinang, you get a 90 days tourist visa. It is interesting to notice that Malaysia is not as picky as Thailand with Tourists.

Nice report, very useful. Can I ask if the ED Visa you got there is a single entry or multiple entry one? Cheers.

It is a single entry, but it is easy to get a re-entry permit and go out and in from the country if you need.

Either you got a Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa (good for 90 days) or you got a Tourist Visa (good for 60 days). It is one or the other.

Actually, if you got the paperwork from the Walen School of Thai in Pattaya, and went to Penang; you would have gotten a 90 day Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa. :)

You are right :huh: sorry for the confusion, I got a single entry Non-ED good for 90 days. After that I need to get an extension every 3 months (cost 1900 baths) at the Thai consulate in Jomtien. Wallen School will provide me the paperwork for the extension..

And when I entered in Thailand the Tourist visa was 30 days (only) I think it is the norm...

About the visa run, I have seen these company, cost is around 2000 baths so it is very cheap, but 8 hours in bus to go and 8 hours in bus to come back was a bit of a turn off for me... I'm am not too much on budget and it was the opportunity to visit Pinang (or Panang)... it was a nice trip, I think better than a visa run. It would have cost a lot more to do it from Europe, Thailand situation in Asia is fantastic for visiting surrounding Countries!

I think they meant that they got a 90 day tourist visa for Malaysia when arriving- hence the comment about them not being so picky as Thailand is with tourists. I might be wrong but that's the way it read to me-

Yes totally right. Thailand gives a 30 days tourist visa when you enter in, Malaysia a 90 days visa... big difference!!!:realangry: